Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times

Advertisements

Always wear a suit to an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkram View Post
I would not be meeting with clients in my position, and when I was last at the office I saw several people engaged in a video conference with prospective clients. None of them wore a suit, and some of them were even in sales.
99% said the same (as in presenting a professional image with a suit), yet you appear to disagree. Then what are you asking... & why are you asking? It seems you've made up your mind to not wear a suit. How 'bout this... wear exactly what you wore on either interview 1 or 2 (don't ask... you choose which). They brought you back, whatever it was that you wore, so your choice of clothing must have been golden.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM

149 posts, read 349,138 times
If this is a job that requires a college education and is a white collar job, WEAR A SUIT. ALWAYS. It doesn't matter what the employees wear, it matters how you present yourself.

I've seen secretaries interview in suits. It shows respect, it shows that you put thought into the interview, and that you care. Presentation is crucial in interviews!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

500 posts, read 571,661 times
There is a very, very simple and easy answer to this question: Call the company up and ask them. Many companies have different norms requiring this and the question is fairly common today. So just ask the company.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
There is a very, very simple and easy answer to this question: Call the company up and ask them. Many companies have different norms requiring this and the question is fairly common today. So just ask the company.
You do that when you get the job, ask the company culture. For an interview, I would never do that, it calls in to question your common sense or lack their of. That's what CD is for, asking questions you shouldn't ask in person or afraid to.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You do that when you get the job, ask the company culture. For an interview, I would never do that, it calls in to question your common sense or lack their of. That's what CD is for, asking questions you shouldn't ask in person or afraid to.
What?? Why would you wait until after a job offer to find out the company culture. You can call up a company, ask and not give your name (not that it matters). That's part of doing research on a prospective employer.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
What?? Why would you wait until after a job offer to find out the company culture. You can call up a company, ask and not give your name (not that it matters). That's part of doing research on a prospective employer.
You look at the company culture when you go in for the interview. You look at their website. You look at their linkedin photos. Pretty easy.

Sure if you call some F500 you can ask that and remain anonymous. You try that at a start up and it won't take long to figure out which candidate has a lack of common sense

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You look at the company culture when you go in for the interview. You look at their website. You look at their linkedin photos. Pretty easy.
No ding dong. Linkedin photos aren't going to tell you how to dress for an interview. Look at their web site? Lmao. Yeah that'll help for google right.

Nothing wrong with calling a company and asking a few questions.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Always wear a suite when applying for a professional position. Hope that the other applicants go for the casual look that they saw in the office. The man that wears the suit, will be the one they remember, and that always helps get the job.

When you are told to ask questions, then ask what is considered office wear in the company. They can tell you that casual is the accepted dress, but you have let t hem know you are a professional and will wear a suit or whatever the company considers appropriate. Don't assume anything going on an interview. You understand what don't assume says don't you. Don't make a ass-u-me.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 AM

149 posts, read 349,138 times
Do you want the job?

If yes, put in the effort and wear a suit. stop whining. are we really having this conversation?
If no, wear anything but a suit. Then we can continue this convo when you don't get the job and you are wondering why.

If you are job hunting for a professional position and do not own a suit, go buy one. I spent $350 on my suit at Banana Republic. It was expensive, especially because i bought it after I lost my job... but you know what? It's an investment. I am 34 and a Project Manager. I ALWAYS wear a suit. I always wore a suit when I was younger and in my 20's interviewing. It's called common sense.

If Banana is out of your price range, go to The Limited. You can probably get a suit there for about $200 on sale. (i'm guessing you are female). If not there, try Macy's. New York & Company also has reasonably priced nice suits as well for under 200. Banana is my favorite. All of these stores usually have 20% coupons on their website from time to time or in store promos.

Last edited by mialia; 01-29-2014 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search