U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM

9,425 posts, read 7,076,026 times

Advertisements

My experience is that very few employers contact previous employers or even your references.

Now.. A disclaimer.. I use as one of my references, "That Guy".. You know.. Every town has one.. That guy that everyone knows and he knows everyone and everyone loves him to death? He's one of my references.. So I think sometimes they wind up seeing his name there and it becomes a situation of if he's being used as a reference, that's good enough for me, and they don't contact anyone..

Of course, if I put out a resume now.. I've been at my current position for 2 years.. Previous one for 3 years, and the one before that for 12 years.. so.. How far back can you go contacting former employers? Right now, to go back more than my immediate prior job (And, most everyone knows you don't contact a CURRENT employer without asking first) you're going back over 10 years.. Good odds that anyone who is still there likely won't even remember me or remember me working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM

8,794 posts, read 13,281,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I see you are in Maine. Here's the Maine Bar Association's lawyer referral info:

Lawyer Referral

The Bar Assoc lawyer referral services, usually are really cheap. In CA I think it's maybe $50 for 30 minute consultation, and I think you can even get a 2nd opinion for free.

Might be fun to scare the old bast*rd with a scary letter from a lawyer. Even if you don't sue him.

Even if the lawyer says the Mass case doesn't apply in Maine, you can still send a scary letter yourself to the HR Dept citing that case and that you believe you would win a defamation suit, so please direct the jerk to cease and desist breaking the HR rule immediately.

So, they run it past the company lawyer who says you don't have a case. Wanna know what he'll say next? Tell the idiot to keep his mouth shut, anyway.

That will at least get him pulled into the HR office for a little talkin' to. Small revenge, but hey, revenge is sweet .
You don't even need a lawyer just use a template and put a name on the letter like
The law offices of Carcharodon and Carcharhinus

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-28-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
OP, in your position I would volunteer and see if you can get a reference that way. Its also a way to network and potentially line yourself up for a job. In today's market, having an employed contact who can refer you to a job opening is probably a safer bet than sending out resume after resume in the abyss.

Honestly, this thing about the employer can give you a bad reference and keep you from another job, but you can't bash your former employer to a prospective employer, sucks a$$. There seems to be an unwritten rule that in any bad employer-employee breakup, its always the latter's fault and their entire professional future can suffer for it, while the company they leave behind is in the clear. We all know that there's tons of bad employers just as there are bad employees. And some cases, its simply a bad fit so should the employee be nailed to the cross for it? I think the average person sets out to do a good job at work, and I've seen people's careers get ruined by organizational politics, bad management, and cronyism/nepotism.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 AM

193 posts, read 225,475 times
This has been a great thread. There's a lot of great information and advice here. I chose to email my old HR rep. She advised that there's not a lot she can do in regards to my former manager as the facility has been sold to another company. She did reiterate that I need to put her contact information down on applications. I did ask the question about raising red flags in putting contact information down that was out of state, she said it would not. She said it's fairly common practice for smaller organizations to have HR offices and even managers located off site. So, next time, I'll go that route.

On the apps, I have not been lying. I would say "Job Ended". When pressed for details, I would tell them that my job came to an end and that I was given a fairly decent severance package. If I was true deadwood, if I truly was incompetent, or if I truly did something wrong or illegal, I likely would never have been given a severance package. Especially considering the fact that I was hourly.

I also liked the little bit he added about no people skills. In two weeks, my temp job comes to an end. The feedback I've received from some of my customers has been outstanding. I even had one person email my manager and her immediate manager saying they need to bring me on board ASAP. He went on to mention how well I've dealt with a particularly gnarly situation and how I represented my team very well. If I had no people skills, I never would have seen this level of success in a matter of a few months.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 AM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
This has been a great thread. There's a lot of great information and advice here. I chose to email my old HR rep. She advised that there's not a lot she can do in regards to my former manager as the facility has been sold to another company. She did reiterate that I need to put her contact information down on applications. I did ask the question about raising red flags in putting contact information down that was out of state, she said it would not. She said it's fairly common practice for smaller organizations to have HR offices and even managers located off site. So, next time, I'll go that route.

On the apps, I have not been lying. I would say "Job Ended". When pressed for details, I would tell them that my job came to an end and that I was given a fairly decent severance package. If I was true deadwood, if I truly was incompetent, or if I truly did something wrong or illegal, I likely would never have been given a severance package. Especially considering the fact that I was hourly.

I also liked the little bit he added about no people skills. In two weeks, my temp job comes to an end. The feedback I've received from some of my customers has been outstanding. I even had one person email my manager and her immediate manager saying they need to bring me on board ASAP. He went on to mention how well I've dealt with a particularly gnarly situation and how I represented my team very well. If I had no people skills, I never would have seen this level of success in a matter of a few months.
LOL. I think your manager thinks you don't have people skills because you won't put up with his BS?

Kind of like people who are jerks, then you call them on it, and they say, "You're too sensitive..."

Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM

552 posts, read 699,861 times
Why not just put the name of a friend and have them fake being your former manager.

Problem solved

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You don't even need a lawyer just use a template and put a name on the letter like
The law offices of Carcharodon and Carcharhinus

Saves the $3000 I spent on a lawyer once to stop a bad reference.

I don't buy into the fearmonging that some say on here that you have no legal claim etc etc.. if they give a bad reference.

You may not win if it has to go to court, but most companies find it easier to shut up and no longer give a bad reference if you threaten them. It means more headache and possible bad publicity.

Unless the company is dead set on wasting their time and money on defending themselves giving a bad reference, they will likely hush up.

When I had my lawyer do a deceist letter to a former boss, within 2 days a lawyer for the company called my lawyer and said they are sorry and will only release dates of employment. Done.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,839,724 times
An old employer of mine had a no comment rule-just hire dates, let go dates, and salary.

They had gotten sued once, and lost 250K.
Use the old HR persons number, and go with it. If its a future problem, contact the HR dept of the old company, and ask them how they feel about lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or