Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 03:15 PM

58 posts, read 141,161 times

Advertisements

I got hired at Company A,

They sent me the details of salary + medical benefits over the email. I've then talked to them on the phone and accepted the job offer verbally. They said "Congratulation!" gave me a start date of Feb 10th.

They started on my background check and made me go to a clinic in my area and take the drug test.

So, I can feel that they are serious about this as well. However, I did not get my letter of confirmation yet. I asked for one and they said "We don't really do something like that but if you really want, I can get something for you".

I felt bad cuz so I just emailed back saying "It's okay, you don't have to go through the hassle of getting one but can you just send me an email stating I start work on this date?"

Today is Sunday, so I'm expecting that email tomorrow but what do you guys think?

Is the email enough or should I push for confirmation letter? They seem like a big and legit company.

However, they said they were hiring like over 30 developers this year and I am really scared of going there and using up my money for apartment/plane ticket and all of the sudden, they just tell me something like "Sorry, we don't need you anymore".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
This is not particularly unusual. Some companies generate an offer letter, others don't.

From a risk standpoint, a letter doesn't change that much. Any company can rescind a job offer the moment you walk in the door. The letter itself would not change that.

Where an offer letter is useful is in putting your salary and benefits in writing so that nothing changes between the HM and payroll. You also have the security of knowing that everybody agrees to hire you, otherwise HR doesn't generate the letter. Occasionally you can use an offer letter as proof of income, which can help you rent a place.

How much do you trust your contact at the new company?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM

I trust the company, I'll private message you their name.

I do need help in renting a place, so should I just change my mind and say can I get a letter instead of an email instead?

If the company does make me waste ALL my money making me fly to the place, and declines that offer as soon as I reach that door. Could I take them to small claims court/will it be worth it?

I don't have much in saving, so if I waste these money and I don't get anything. I will be really screwed.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Needing the letter to get a place to live is a perfect reason for requesting one. You are not being untrustworthy, you are simply being responsible.

Probably would not be worth taking them to court, but circumstances vary. It is really, really unlikely to happen though.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Never ever ever ever feel bad about what you have to do for yourself. If you feel more comfortable having a confirmation letter, then ask them for one.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,952 times
An offer letter is a reasonable request and so is a letter confirming your hire date/proof of employment.

If I were renting to your I would want proof of employment too.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 PM

Yea, at first I felt bad for making him go through the trouble. However, I realized that It really will help me finding an apartment. I have sent an email asking for one, so let's see how it goes.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Hey OP, I can't help but notice you're a nice guy. You worry about putting him through the trouble of sending you an official offer or confirmation letter.

Please read this very carefully. Nice guys always finish last. I know the politically canned thing for me to say is it's great for you to be a nice guy. But the reality is in order to succeed in this world, you have to be an dick. People in the real world don't care if you're nice or if you are concern for them. The moment they realize you're a nice guy, they will take advantage of you. Once you have fallen, they will kick you until you bleed to death.

If we live anywhere close to you, I would be glad to be your friend. And I cringe every time I see a nice guy like yourself worrying about someone else's trouble. I really hope you will eventually understand this. Remember. Nice guys always finish last. There will be others here who will say the more politically correct thing and disagree with me. In real life, these are the kinds of people who like to take advantage of nice guys. Ultimately, the only person in the world that will take care of you is yourself.

Next time, don't even care about how much trouble you will put the hr person. Insist that you get a confirmation letter. Even if you don't need it for an apartment, insist to get it anyway. Don't ever worry about putting them through the trouble again. Remember that only you have your best interest in mind. Everyone else will take advantage of you when they can. You give them an inch and they will want a mile.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM

@Rose_Hair,

Thank you a lot for that (: I guess I do need to be more firm on my words. I will definitely keep what you said on my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search