U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,084,044 times

Advertisements

I recently submitted a resume to a local company and was called for an interview. During the interview I filled out a paper application with SS#, address, work history etc. I declined the position as it didn't work with my current schedule and left the interview on friendly terms. I later called the hiring manager to request that my resume and application be destroyed due to the sensitive info on them. I was told that the resume would be destroyed but they have to retain the application. No big deal I guess, but why? That info could fall into the wrong hands and be used for ID theft. Any idea why applications are retained if the applicant isn't employed there? This was not a large company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM

11,137 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Applications and employment record could possibly be subpoenaed in the case of a lawsuit. I believe there are also employment laws and regulations regarding records retention.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 PM

532 posts, read 748,575 times
I've wondered about this myself. We have to keep all applications for 5 years even if they came in for just 1 interview. I have to keep them locked 24/7 just so in a few years I can shred them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or