U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,523,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can't think of a better way to ensure that someone will never make more than $9 an hour than to show up every day determined to do no more than $9 an hour's worth of work. When I was a department manager, I almost always knew within a few days which new employees I was going to someday promote into higher positions and which ones would never move past their entry-level positions. The ones who came in with an "I'm not gonna do anything more than I absolutely have to do" attitude were the ones who sat around bitching to each other in the break room about how screwed up the company was when the hard-chargers with years less seniority were promoted over them into supervisory positions. They just never figured it out.
Fair enough, but the problem I have with this is that the $9 employees don't usually have much of stellar progression track to look forward to in that company to begin with. Take when I worked for wal-mart for my first few years of college, if you were 'promoted' to a department manager that was a whopping 50 cent raise. I knew of several that went to dept manager then stepped down because it wasn't worth it. Even if you were to move up into an assistant manager position, the best you could hope for was in the neighborhood of 30k/yr, maybe a tad more if you've been there half your life. Something like this isn't worth pouring your heart and soul into.

Now that I'm going to be making what I'm worth, I'll give everything I can to my career. On top of that, I know I'll have the opportunity to move up, have more authority/responsibility and make substantially more money. It's all about perspective here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM

7,248 posts, read 4,683,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Fair enough, but the problem I have with this is that the $9 employees don't usually have much of stellar progression track to look forward to in that company to begin with. Take when I worked for wal-mart for my first few years of college, if you were 'promoted' to a department manager that was a whopping 50 cent raise. I knew of several that went to dept manager then stepped down because it wasn't worth it.
Yeah, I hear you there. That is the flip side of a lot of workplaces these days. In this economy, it's an employer's market, and it's harder and harder to get anywhere. I just count myself lucky that I'm at a stage in my life where I'm self-employed and semi-retired, rather than just entering the work force now. It's a whole different job environment than when I was a teenager.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,786,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not me. I try to do my best, whether getting $9 or $50 or working as a volunteer for nothing. You never know when someone you impress, be they a coworker, manager, or customer, may remember you and refer you up to something much better.
I'm confused what sort of job/industry the OP is looking at? $9/hr for fast food may be typical, while $9/hr for a doctor is a joke. It helps to know the context, just saying..

Honestly, if I were in that situation, I would give the job a fair shot (maybe a step above the minimum requirements) but not anything above and beyond. Don't purposely slack off but don't kill yourself over this job either.. just put in an honest day's worth of work and go home and continue looking for new jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or