U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM

4,125 posts, read 4,138,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post

in an effort to "keep up to to date" or "not lose their skills". Just what skills are lost in 3 to 12 months?! People speak as if America's economic and technological and academic climates are changing so rapidly that an intelligent, hard working person is going to intellectually revert back to the Stone Age have they become unemployed. And believe me, the last thing a depressed, lonely, helpless, desperate and possibly suicidal person is thinking about is scurrying back to school or volunteering; they're thinking of ONE thing and one thing only: get back to work! It is extremely difficult to volunteer (help people) when one is in a weak predicament.
Have you ever taught? There is a intellectual drain on students (mostly k-12) after every summer. Ironically in other countries attending classes during the summer is normal and not seen as a form of punishment is here.

I've met people that have largely refused to learn, even with a degree. I worked with someone in the past that from her actions acted as if the late 1990's did not end. Software packages she bragged about (publisher? seriously!) and so on.

Keeping up sometimes cares people. Learning sometimes scares people because they think that what they known might be incomplete or worse yet outright wrong.

Any form of information is incomplete because everything moves forward as a science. Technology keeps advancing. Learning is natural and should be encouraged. Time is a continuum, life is a continuum and learning is a continuum.

I agree with newdixie girl that it can be mindless to simply be on the pc all day. Sometimes I'd just try to learn more on a software program and go to a starbucks just to get out, listen to audio book etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM

821 posts, read 920,663 times
I agree with all who say that one shouldn't sit at the computer all day during unemployment. As I said, and as is obvious, there is a finite amount of jobs to apply to, and amongst the jobs in one's field, one can't apply to all for various reasons.

My time spent looking for an applying to jobs during my time unemployed was about 0 to 60 minutes per day. No, I didn't look and apply everyday because there was a limit to how many jobs I could apply to and it was not as if new jobs that I could apply to were showing up everyday and there was also an emotional and mental limit to how much I could even THINK about looking for work. The notion that "looking for a job is a full time job" is bologna!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM

265 posts, read 341,922 times
people who talk about the reasons mattering are mostly lying. if someone was unemployed for 2.5 years and said 2 years of that they were depressed and even hospitalized, it wouldn't matter if the 6 months they weren't were spent volunteering, taking multiple classes, re-training, etc. too much truth will get you **** listed that's how it is in the majority of jobs that people actually call careers. on the flip-side, long term unemployment is less important for 'front line crappy jobs' like retail, call centers, general labor grunt that only need to be in good shape, etc. so give a big cheer if all you want is to survive in a low-paying hell!

you think an employer for a professional position wants to see someone spent 2 years in 1-3 jobs that were 100% useless to furthering any kind of career? you think an employer is going to respect you were paying your bills and training however in your spar time because you want to work in 'insert field' but couldn't because you couldn't get hire. no. too the wolves you go. that is reality for most white collar jobs unless you are way more creative than the majority of the hob-knobs that work in hr.

edit- my friend was unemployed for a year by choice...because he wanted to pursue some entertainment career. it didn't work out. after 2 months he found a service job. he came into some money after about 9 months so quit. a year and a half later of not working he's back to looking. he's still got money, but he wants a job for spending money, whereas his inheritance covers the basic necessities. no idea if he's a good worker, but if he told the truth in interviews he sure as hell wouldn't get hired. irc- he has a degree in biochemistry. lol

Last edited by limbo24; 02-04-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
people who talk about the reasons mattering are mostly lying. if someone was unemployed for 2.5 years and said 2 years of that they were depressed and even hospitalized, it wouldn't matter if the 6 months they weren't were spent volunteering, taking multiple classes, re-training, etc. too much truth will get you **** listed that's how it is in the majority of jobs that people actually call careers. on the flip-side, long term unemployment is less important for 'front line crappy jobs' like retail, call centers, general labor grunt that only need to be in good shape, etc. so give a big cheer if all you want is to survive in a low-paying hell!

you think an employer for a professional position wants to see someone spent 2 years in 1-3 jobs that were 100% useless to furthering any kind of career? you think an employer is going to respect you were paying your bills and training however in your spar time because you want to work in 'insert field' but couldn't because you couldn't get hire. no. too the wolves you go. that is reality for most white collar jobs unless you are way more creative than the majority of the hob-knobs that work in hr.

edit- my friend was unemployed for a year by choice...because he wanted to pursue some entertainment career. it didn't work out. after 2 months he found a service job. he came into some money after about 9 months so quit. a year and a half later of not working he's back to looking. he's still got money, but he wants a job for spending money, whereas his inheritance covers the basic necessities. no idea if he's a good worker, but if he told the truth in interviews he sure as hell wouldn't get hired. irc- he has a degree in biochemistry. lol
Much of this post is so true. Getting a job these days is largely a game of luck, and just here and there will you find a SENSIBLE and CARING hiring manager. The rest (NOT ALL, that is) are unempathetic vultures and psychopaths who now feel they are hot **** because they are in a position in which they can play with people's lives. And you're right, most of them don't give a rat's ass about what problems people acquired through no fault of their own, what volunteer work they did, that they took care of a sick or disabled relative, that they backpacked through Europe and learned new languages to culturally enrich themselves and broaden their worldview, etc., etc. They really don't care.

And there are no longer hard rules. An old notion is that it is bad to job hop. Now, jumpers get hired all the time, and the hiring manager interviewing you might be a jumper him or herself and doesn't give a rat's a-- that you're a jumper too.

You're also right about truth: too much of it is no good in this dog-eat-dog, I-got-mine, it-sucks-for-you, 2000's America.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM

We just hired someone new where I work, and I called back EVERYONE who applied as courtesy.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,048,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
We just hired someone new where I work, and I called back EVERYONE who applied as courtesy.
I went on an interview last week and the HR person called me back yesterday to say that I didn't get the job. And he thanked me for coming in. Then they sent the automated rejection.

An interview I had the week before just sent me an email from "noreply@company.com" to say I was unsuccessful.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
When I worked in HR, we did not care about whether someone was long-termed unemployed. We cared more about their skill set and if it was current. Many times we hired those re-entering the fray after raising kids, trying to have a small business, or years of volunteer activity. We also looked for flexible workers who could possibly wear many hats.

Thank You

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM

836 posts, read 1,376,434 times
The biggest obstacle for an employer seeking qualified candidates is often their own HR department.

Getting past HR is a separate game from interviewing and getting the job.

So your primary focus involves how to get past HR or apply at smaller companies who don't have that department.

As painful as networking can seem to social retards like me, it has led to jobs.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,786,020 times
There's no *good* reason to avoid hiring people out of work, but many hiring decisions aren't made based on good reasons anyway.

Too many companies have their hiring process hijacked by HR people who have no understanding of the job requirements, so they spend their time worrying about touchy-feely nonsense or trying to find "something wrong" with candidates so they can look like heroes by weeding them out. Then, if you're lucky, you might get to the hiring manager or somebody with some idea of the job... and then you have to hope that he or she isn't more interested in hiring a: friend, drinking buddy, or potential date. All of this drek just to get a job to pay the bills - and heaven help you if you are: middle aged or older, not in perfect health, etc.

It's a joke - we still have companies that basically refuse to hire the unemployed, and I'm still running into idiots who've been living under a rock since 2006 who don't "understand" why I've been out of work at various points since then. Ummmm... because of huge layoffs in their industry (of which they should be aware), the general lack of need for mechanical engineers with my background, and the complete inability to transfer skills within the engineering field? The irony is that they'll be the same ones writing up insane job requirements that rule out almost anyone but current employees, and yet they play dumb as to why people in their industry are out of work. Hmmmm... yep, it's a head-scratcher...

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM

89 posts, read 172,779 times
Just keep applying. There's somebody out there that can see past all of the BS about people losing skills, work ethic, etc. after a period of time. There's someone out there that can see your potential and not fall into the trap of hiring the perpetual job jumper for that position opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or