U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,053,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There's no *good* reason to avoid hiring people out of work, but many hiring decisions aren't made based on good reasons anyway.

Too many companies have their hiring process hijacked by HR people who have no understanding of the job requirements, so they spend their time worrying about touchy-feely nonsense or trying to find "something wrong" with candidates so they can look like heroes by weeding them out. Then, if you're lucky, you might get to the hiring manager or somebody with some idea of the job... and then you have to hope that he or she isn't more interested in hiring a: friend, drinking buddy, or potential date. All of this drek just to get a job to pay the bills - and heaven help you if you are: middle aged or older, not in perfect health, etc.

It's a joke - we still have companies that basically refuse to hire the unemployed, and I'm still running into idiots who've been living under a rock since 2006 who don't "understand" why I've been out of work at various points since then. Ummmm... because of huge layoffs in their industry (of which they should be aware), the general lack of need for mechanical engineers with my background, and the complete inability to transfer skills within the engineering field? The irony is that they'll be the same ones writing up insane job requirements that rule out almost anyone but current employees, and yet they play dumb as to why people in their industry are out of work. Hmmmm... yep, it's a head-scratcher...
I would say part of it is that we have lost our way when it comes to recruiting.

Companies can solicit a job and receive hundreds of applications on online job boards. They believe it to be a numbers game - "in this pile of resumes there's go to be someone we can hire!" While probably true, the folks sorting out all the applications need something to whittle down that pile. So, we get stupid things like "you need a degree in advanced basket weaving even though you have 20 years of experience. That doesn't count for nothing!" Or, in this case, anyone that hasn't worked in 4 months must be damaged goods. So, at the end of the process, you only get 2-3 people out of 200. And if for whatever reason, they don't work out, you cry "talent shortage!!!"

In my experience, I have not really met anyone that has recruited the "old fashion way" by going out and actually meeting people, specifically in a more informal setting. If you need to hire a bunch of engineers, why don't you show up at a trade meeting and TALK to them and get to know them.

The biggest travesty is when you get professional 3rd party recruiters or "headhunters" who don't do this, and only pull candidates from the same pools you are - LinkedIn, Monster, Dice, etc. Yet they charge a premium for their "services."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM

169 posts, read 217,739 times
Quote:
It's a joke - we still have companies that basically refuse to hire the unemployed, and I'm still running into idiots who've been living under a rock since 2006 who don't "understand" why I've been out of work at various points since then. Ummmm... because of huge layoffs in their industry (of which they should be aware), the general lack of need for mechanical engineers with my background, and the complete inability to transfer skills within the engineering field? The irony is that they'll be the same ones writing up insane job requirements that rule out almost anyone but current employees, and yet they play dumb as to why people in their industry are out of work. Hmmmm... yep, it's a head-scratcher...
This! Once, I answered this question with "Why don't you hire me - the problem will be solved!" This was an HR guy. He did pass me on to the hiring manager. Did not work out, but I always forget to use this line... Maybe should try it more often.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,930,545 times
Quote:
There's no *good* reason to avoid hiring people out of work, but many hiring decisions aren't made based on good reasons anyway.

Too many companies have their hiring process hijacked by HR people who have no understanding of the job requirements, so they spend their time worrying about touchy-feely nonsense or trying to find "something wrong" with candidates so they can look like heroes by weeding them out. Then, if you're lucky, you might get to the hiring manager or somebody with some idea of the job... and then you have to hope that he or she isn't more interested in hiring a: friend, drinking buddy, or potential date. All of this drek just to get a job to pay the bills - and heaven help you if you are: middle aged or older, not in perfect health, etc.

They haven't been living under a rock. They are just sweeping it under the rug because after all it is the unemployed's fault for being out of work so long. ALL companies are honest and ALWAYS consider the unemployed.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,808,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
They haven't been living under a rock. They are just sweeping it under the rug because after all it is the unemployed's fault for being out of work so long. ALL companies are honest and ALWAYS consider the unemployed.
My favorite idiot companies are the ones who act confused as to "why you were out of work" when they are in the same industry that was hammered by layoffs at that time. When I mention those layoffs, they respond with something like, "Oh, yeah.... I remember that..."

Come on - stop playing stupid! As you said, they just want to shift the blame and try to turn the worst economy since the Great Depression into personal failings even while they continue to lay people off, refuse to hire other people, etc.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
My favorite idiot companies are the ones who act confused as to "why you were out of work" when they are in the same industry that was hammered by layoffs at that time. When I mention those layoffs, they respond with something like, "Oh, yeah.... I remember that..."

Come on - stop playing stupid! As you said, they just want to shift the blame and try to turn the worst economy since the Great Depression into personal failings even while they continue to lay people off, refuse to hire other people, etc.

Agreed.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,745,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am a long term unemployed but can understand the bias against the long term jobless.

Since I left the workforce I have got lazy and are out of touch with the changes in processes, procedures and technology.

I have also lost my ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.

I had a long talk with a Human Resources Recruiter who has spent over 20 years filling and overseeing over a thousand job openings. He said that most employers give you the matter of the doubt up to 3 months but after about six months you are dead to them (and him). He believes that everyone can get a job in their field in six months if they are any good and aggressive, but if you have not found something this means you are not good and not very aggressive. So you are dead to them.

(I have been out of work for over a year, so I am dead to them!)
One of my relatives took his whole almost 3 years of unemployment like a vacation - he traveled, enjoyed sleeping in and laying on the beach in the winter -- which he could do while living on unemployment. When his extensions ran out, he of course had to get a job which he did without any problem --- some places really don't care if someone has been unemployed obviously, but he said it was really hard having to get back into a schedule, wake up early, not be able to lounge around all day doing what he wanted, and the hardest part was having to give up the whole winter vacations to Florida.

He's adjusted -- but he says it was a few months before he got back into the working mode.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,429,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One of my relatives took his whole almost 3 years of unemployment like a vacation - he traveled, enjoyed sleeping in and laying on the beach in the winter -- which he could do while living on unemployment. When his extensions ran out, he of course had to get a job which he did without any problem --- some places really don't care if someone has been unemployed obviously, but he said it was really hard having to get back into a schedule, wake up early, not be able to lounge around all day doing what he wanted, and the hardest part was having to give up the whole winter vacations to Florida.

He's adjusted -- but he says it was a few months before he got back into the working mode.
I agree, if all your experience on the resume is connected to the job opening then most companies won't care

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

That's obvious that some don't care, but some of them do.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 AM

4,200 posts, read 2,499,773 times
My wife and I made a financial decision for her not to work for a time of five years due to family and cost of living. Where we lived, Hawaii due to Military, was too dang expensive for us to have her work due to daycare, and all other things associated with working in the corporate world for her. So, while this was happening she went through and furthered her education to Graduate degree, Honors, and did freelance etc etc to keep relevant in her field. Upon returning to the mainland, she applied for the same job she had with the same people still there at a State college. She had 10 years there, and 5 years at a TV station prior to it.
She didnt get the job, as they hired a person with no experience, yet same degree.
Baffled, considering these people knew her and asked her to apply and interviewed her via a panel.
So, a gap in unemployment is a poor excuse not to hire someone, it is, IMHO, a lazy a** excuse.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,737,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've hired people that were long term unemployed and I've turned away many more. It comes down to what the scenario is:

1. The individual has been productive over the last several years and kept themselves up to date, attended training on their own, and showed initiative to use their time wisely to better themselves (professionally and otherwise).

2. The individual has been actively looking for work in their field but has not kept up to date with the industry and has not gained any additional skills while unemployed. These individuals often need training. Worse, they expect training.

3. They've obviously been lazy and just riding the unemployment train.

Person 1 is an obvious hire. Person 3 is an obvious no-hire. Person 2 is also a no hire in almost all cases. An employer is not going to invest in you if you're not willing to invest in yourself.
You are to hire the most qualified candidate period no matter which category they are in. In most cases long term unemployed cannot afford to further their training at their own expense. Most of them are struggling to keep food on the table and a roof over their head. No one is riding the unemployment train or are lazy. That you choose to hire through ignorant, baseless, assumption and ignorant biases speaks volumes about you. Hr incompentants like you are the bane of the long term unemployed. Its no wonder we can't get employed when the hr person across the table is clearly lacking in intelligence and common sense. Thus you hire the dynamic con artist whose resume and interviews are all lies. Leaving you to repost the position every three months like clockwork and hiring yet another dynamic con artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or