U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,735,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
This. I cannot figure out why people wouldn't be doing some training on their own, especially with the workforce centers offering programs, dislocated worker programs, free networking groups and training programs, along with volunteerism. I'm currently unemployed (but a full time student) and volunteer to keep myself up to date and the people I know who were previously employed refused to do volunteer work or training on their own. They saw it as a waste of time when they could be looking for jobs. At the end of the day when the postings haven't changed much for the previous week, I'd say a person needs to figure out how to make better use of their time.
Have you ever tried these trainings? I'll wager you have not. These training session are only for certain professions. If you do not work in these professions it is indeed a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Because people who are willing to work are more hard working and deservinthg than people not willing to work.

The only exception I would make is for a person with a provable gap because they gave up employment to take care of a parent or child. OR for another specific life event such as having a spouse that got transferred somewhere so the potential employee made a conscious family CHOICE that may take a bit to iron out.

I closed my business to take care of my mother and would have no problem putting that on my resume.
So there are no other exceptions huh? I have two gaps and neither were through any fault of my own. The first was due to upper management losing two of the three properties I managed in a rebid. I was to be hired on fully as of Jan 1 but was let go Dec 30. My direct superior wasn't even informed of the decision until we were ushered into the personnel office. The second I had gone back to an old employer and six months later the building was sold to a new company. The ceo met with me and told me everything I wanted to hear to get me to sign on. Less than three months later, after completing the transfer paperwork, I was released and replaced with an assistant manager. SOP for corporate america nowadays. I am sure the hr idiots hold these against even though they were out of my control. Worse yet they ask me to explain them and I am sure they consider it badmouthing former employers even though I do not insult or degrade anyone.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Often the long term unemployed person is also a long term do nothing person. Very unlikely to be able to help me reach my goals. However, should I discover a long term unemployed go getter then I would certainly want to discuss how they may benefit the organization.
Your first statement is almost wholly incorrect. I suspect you do not actually know any long term unemployed. But keep up the baseless assumptions.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Oh yeah? Why don't you tell me how you're going to add value to our organization?

I'm a great, motivated worker, up for any task.

What did you do during your time off?

I woke up at 10 to 11 AM. Had a lavish breakfast--carbed up, high protein, so I can kill it in the gym. Actually hit some PR's in the gym and bulked up a bit from the adequate rest I got. Called friends. Surfed the net. Watched TV shows and every B movie horror flick on Netflix. Maybe sent out a resume or two. Frittered away hours in Barnes & Nobles. Posted on internet forums.
You are a lost cause and a hopeless case of ignorance taken to the extreme.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
We just hired someone new where I work, and I called back EVERYONE who applied as courtesy.
Excellent. To all you hr people who don't do this or make excuses why you don't, this is what's known as professionalism. Being a professional is nearly a lost art especially in many hr departments.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,926,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Excellent. To all you hr people who don't do this or make excuses why you don't, this is what's known as professionalism. Being a professional is nearly a lost art especially in many hr departments.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or