Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times

Advertisements

[quote=dazeddude8;33284932]I get that feeling to, especially if your previous job was some sort of high skilled field in which gaps probably look even worse to the employer. I.e... as someone mentioned earlier an Engineer being out of work for X months, a nurse being out of work for X months etc... The "I worked at Shop rite for 3 months or volunteered as a X" may not look that impressive but it has to be better than "I sat at home looking for work for 7months". Further you mention on your resume that while working the stop gap job that you also kept your skills up to date, took classes, read the trade magazines, learned new software etc...[/q]The problem is, it may NOT be impressive, at all. For those in highly skilled trades, or IT, whatever, I've been told that some of them will acknowledge that even though you worked in retail or brewed coffee, or performed janitorial duties, THEY DON'T CARE. "I want someone who's been practicing directly relevant skills". While it looks good to keep busy, if the skills don't translate to the job, it's like you were unemployed. And I'm annoyed at this in terms of which way I should go, but that's always the nuance of selling yourself to others. On a related note, some may be better off just not doing the retail work, staying at home so they can devote time to full time, short classes, online courses, or learning skills by yourself. Especially if you have other obligations like children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I realize that it is a delicate dance between "taking anything to fill the gap vs will my fast food/retail, free intern experience really cover that gap" but the danger is always long term unemployment. You really have to ask yourself how long can I hold out just applying for the ideal job, only willing to work the ideal job before the gap of unemployment becomes a mark of Cain.
Yeah, won't argue that. I will say that if I find a job that pays about what I had before, I'll take it. I don't need all of my ducks in a row (great commute, hot secretary, $20K more than what I was making, college reimbursement, margaritia mixer in the kitchen, etc.). I'm not taking a Walmart job b/c I know I won't be able to pay off my debts, loans, and raise a family in the future on that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I can already hear people say stuff like, "What about volunteering?" or "What about getting another certificate, more schooling?" or more of this, more of that, bla, bla, bla, when those things are of little concern to middle or lower class people scrounging to just get back on their damn feet! I am currently in the midst of hiring someone for a position who I will be managing and I am always sympathetic to people's circumstances and never put them through the goddamn ringer with zinger questions such as, "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" and about what greatly ambitious things they were doing during time off instead of getting up at 10 to 12 in the morning or afternoon and doing as they pleased or ridiculing their precarious situation.
Are you saying it's better to just stay at home, keep refreshing the browser on indeed or careerbuilder hoping there will be new and different jobs compared to the previous few days? Of course people are scrounging around to get back on their feet. I am definitely not in the upper class and know what it's like to see someone hustle to get a job. The purpose of volunteering and finding classes when you can isn't solely to keep up to date and get experience, but also to give your BRAIN a mental break.

I know what it's like to look for jobs and feel the frustration and anxiety of not being hired. I know what it's like to be "overqualified" and then underqualified and qualified enough, but we'll pay you peanuts. Research has shown spending inordinate amount of time searching for jobs online is the best way into depression and ultimately, becoming a discouraged worker. Nowadays, networking is going to be your best bet and sometimes volunteering can be a way to provide yourself with respite and create new contacts. Even volunteering 2-5 hours a week (which btw, would still qualify you for unemployment) is enough to help you keep a fresher perspective and prevent you from literally going insane. What I have noticed now is people shoot themselves in the foot by staring at their monitors non-stop hoping things will change, remaining cooped up in their homes and are left with a defeatist attitude. After I lost my job, I vowed to not let myself go into that phase which is why I advocate for what I do, and why I have made certain decisions.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:

I can already hear people say stuff like, "What about volunteering?" or "What about getting another certificate, more schooling?" or more of this, more of that, bla, bla, bla, when those things are of little concern to middle or lower class people scrounging to just get back on their damn feet!
If "people" are saying this then obviously there's good reason for them doing so and likely many of them are in a hiring position so have gone through this many times over. These are things which should be of concern to those people you describe as "scrounging to just get back on their damn feet" because they are very much of concern to those who would consider hiring them after a long period of unemployment.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I agree, I don't know what "great things" a person can do while unemployed.

And many times it seems to backfire, like "oh well you worked for free, so I'm willing to pay you $12/hr now, what do you mean that's not enough or that the position originally advertised $25/hr, that's what I'm willing to pay YOU since you worked for free!" And other such nonsense...

Personally I don't care what a person did while they were unemployed. And I am sure I'm out of the norm, but I'd rather hire someone who is not working vs. someone who already has a job because I feel they will work harder because they will be more grateful for the chance to earn money again.

I remember when I was unemployed for a year, I had no money to spend on courses, when I'd find free ones they were only free to people who already had jobs in the industry, etc.

I'd like to ask someone who said that stuff to me "well what would you do if you were unemployed? Oh, go spend money on courses, what money, you are unemployed and don't have any... Oh you'd volunteer, okay, and take away time from job hunting?"

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Often the long term unemployed person is also a long term do nothing person. Very unlikely to be able to help me reach my goals. However, should I discover a long term unemployed go getter then I would certainly want to discuss how they may benefit the organization.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Often the long term unemployed person is also a long term do nothing person. Very unlikely to be able to help me reach my goals. However, should I discover a long term unemployed go getter then I would certainly want to discuss how they may benefit the organization.
Long term do-nothings usually don't apply for jobs and love being unemployed or see nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Long term do-nothings usually don't apply for jobs and love being unemployed or see nothing wrong with it.
Sure they do. They apply for jobs when their UC runs out or the person they're sponging off closes the wallet ...

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Although abusing government programs is bad there is nothing wrong with not working if you have other sources of income. I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. The vast majority of your employees are working because they need money. If you want to test that stop paying them and see how long they stick around.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree, I don't know what "great things" a person can do while unemployed.

And many times it seems to backfire, like "oh well you worked for free, so I'm willing to pay you $12/hr now, what do you mean that's not enough or that the position originally advertised $25/hr, that's what I'm willing to pay YOU since you worked for free!" And other such nonsense...

Personally I don't care what a person did while they were unemployed. And I am sure I'm out of the norm, but I'd rather hire someone who is not working vs. someone who already has a job because I feel they will work harder because they will be more grateful for the chance to earn money again.

I remember when I was unemployed for a year, I had no money to spend on courses, when I'd find free ones they were only free to people who already had jobs in the industry, etc.

I'd like to ask someone who said that stuff to me "well what would you do if you were unemployed? Oh, go spend money on courses, what money, you are unemployed and don't have any... Oh you'd volunteer, okay, and take away time from job hunting?"
I have yet to come across actual situations where this happened, or have yet to hear stories about this happening. It appears to me people are allowing their imaginations to get the best of them and are inventing the worst possible case scenarios. And people think I'm a pessimist...

The reality us, no employer is expecting you to do "great things." They just want to see you made an effort to be productive while you looked for jobs. No employer is expecting you to devote lots of time to volunteering if you choose to do so, nor do they expect people to place job hunting on the back-burner.

What employer in their right mind would change the wage like that? Do employers like to be sued for misrepresenting wage advertisements? Quite frankly if an employer is willing to lowball like that then why would anyone want to work for them? At that rate you are better off looking elsewhere if they can't offer you the wage advertised.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Are you an employer or an employee of a company for whom you hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search