U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,332,234 times
Reputation: 1722

Advertisements

Just wondering from your prospective, why you think that it's better to hire people who are currently working (and stealing, in a way, someone else's employee) or out of work for less than 3 months, as opposed to 6 months or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:54 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,311,775 times
Reputation: 1611
The same reason why a girl does not want to go to the prom with a guy who asked ten other girls out and got shot down each time and this request is number eleven (11).

Also, most hiring managers are insecure about their decision on who to select. It is a lot easier to select someone who has been approved and validated by others.

Back when I was working I once worked in an executive role for a Fortune 500 Company. The employers knew that if you worked for that company in that role you went through an incredibly complex and challenging recruitment and selection process. And once you got in you were held to incredibly high standards. For that period of my life I was highly sought after and everyone wanted to steal me away.

Yes later, my luck had gone down and I was working for a small "fly by night company" that pretty much hired everyone who applied, and then they fired me and I hit rock bottom. The fact that my previous experience was at a fly by night company and was out of work made my situation impossible. The only way I ever got hired was knowing someone.

I hope that answers your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM
 
11,221 posts, read 8,606,681 times
Reputation: 28292
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Just wondering from your prospective, why you think that it's better to hire people who are currently working (and stealing, in a way, someone else's employee) or out of work for less than 3 months, as opposed to 6 months or more?
They aren't stealing an employee. The actual employee chooses to leave their old job for another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,601,170 times
Reputation: 26532
From my perspective as an employer (retired) the question is moot since I did, several times, hire people who had not been employed for quite some time. The issue was not how long they'd been unemployed but why and, further, what they had been doing while unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
 
1,049 posts, read 2,529,070 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The same reason why a girl does not want to go to the prom with a guy who asked ten other girls out and got shot down each time and this request is number eleven (11).

Also, most hiring managers are insecure about their decision on who to select. It is a lot easier to select someone who has been approved and validated by others.

Back when I was working I once worked in an executive role for a Fortune 500 Company. The employers knew that if you worked for that company in that role you went through an incredibly complex and challenging recruitment and selection process. And once you got in you were held to incredibly high standards. For that period of my life I was highly sought after and everyone wanted to steal me away.

Yes later, my luck had gone down and I was working for a small "fly by night company" that pretty much hired everyone who applied, and then they fired me and I hit rock bottom. The fact that my previous experience was at a fly by night company and was out of work made my situation impossible. The only way I ever got hired was knowing someone.

I hope that answers your question.
Is this before, during or after your stint at 7-11? Oh yeah you were unemployed from your 'executive role' for over a year, directly contradicting what you've said here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
 
Location: FROM Dixie, but IN SoCal
3,491 posts, read 5,539,420 times
Reputation: 3751
The answer is simple. You see, in nearly all companies, HR is NOT the hiring authority. The hiring authority, complete with all his/her biases and prejudices, is the department manager/supervisor.

Do you wish to object to the decision? Fine. If you are a member of a protected class, several federal/state government agencies would be more than happy to receive your complaint. Otherwise, good luck to you.

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-31-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,487,814 times
Reputation: 4920
The same reason, you don't want to be the first patient of a heart surgeon, out of work for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Over here
281 posts, read 540,951 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The same reason, you don't want to be the first patient of a heart surgeon, out of work for a year.
^This is great I agree with some others...people unemployed for some time are most likely unemployable. It is not the job of the hiring companies to give people a "break" and hire them. It is their job to get qualified employees and make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,311,775 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Is this before, during or after your stint at 7-11? Oh yeah you were unemployed from your 'executive role' for over a year, directly contradicting what you've said here.
Yes I have had some career highs and lows but after forty years in corporate America including working in positions where I was responsible for hiring many employees, I know the answer to this question.

I have been a long term unemployed a number of times and saw exactly what happens to them. I only got back in the game due to contacts.

I also think Human Resources Professionals who work in recruiting and staffing can answer this question because they saw the oversight of the hiring process with many different types of positions in a wide variety of companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,332,234 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They aren't stealing an employee. The actual employee chooses to leave their old job for another job.
Indirectly, an employee is being stolen from another company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top