U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM

33,931 posts, read 42,196,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think you are pulling this stuff out of your you know what. You really think an anonymous email is going to lead to someone being fired 90% of the time?
It does in certain occupations.

Anyone with a security clearance lives in fear of the "anonymous" accusation.

I've seen teachers' careers ruined by anonymous accusations. Even if cleared upon investigation, the taint follows them wherever they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,320,814 times
Quote:
I think you are pulling this stuff out of your you know what. You really think an anonymous email is going to lead to someone being fired 90% of the time?
Well, the 90% really did come out of my rear end since I do not have the mathematical calculations to back it up.

But again, there are plenty of examples out there for us to look at. The last thing an employer wants os controversy. Firing the at will employee is the quick and clean way to avoid controversy. Life ain't fair.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,998,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
An email has a return address. Or you can easily trace the IP. And if this was a person already working in my company, that email would be printed out, enlarged, and hung up on the bulletin board and a copy given to everyone in the company with a request for the COWARD who wrote it to come forward to discuss his/her allegations.
If the return address is donthirejohnsmith@hotmail.com and the IP address just points to your city there isn't much you can do... Specially if you live in a large city with 3 million people or something lol.

I would ignore the email. To me, if I speak to the person's supervisor and he's got good references, they'll get hired. And if I find it's true, I can always let them go.

Who knows, maybe John Smith was at a job he was burned out on, which is why he is leaving, maybe with my company he'll do better. We don't know the ins and outs of why or IF John is even procrastinating. Maybe he wasn't, maybe he was overloaded with work and people just said he procrastinated... Or maybe he was given an assignment due the next morning just as his boss was walking out the door (it does happen).

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,044,350 times
I have seen worse. The tech industry I worked in, still do in diff cap, I have seen where an employee of one competing firm goes to interview at the other, a former SM at the first, that now works where the person is interviewing, sees this person rats them out to their current boss and they just got fired from their job. Talk about douche bag maneuver.

The worst part, that d bag SM was rehired by his original employer, where she just got fired, for ratting her out and because he was about to be fired for lack of sales. WTF

Now I have had a former VP ping me and say what do you know about this person. I said she's really nice and more of a farmer than hunter, that was it she didn't warn me she was applying for a hunter sales role.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,044,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Here is an example of how employers avoid controversy like the plague. An anonymous email claiming to be a parent complained to the principal about a school teacher having a picture on her facebook drinking alcohol. Without checking out who sent the email or anything else, they fired the teacher.

Or look at the Adria Richards case. A father of 3 lost his livelihood because an oversensitive female publically shamed him after eavesdropping on their conversation. To top it off, Adria Richards' employer also fired her. All of this took place in less than 48 hours.

Employers avoid controversy like the plague. I have no doubt that if my employer receives an anonymous email about some dirty secrets I supposedly have (true or not), I will be very quickly let go. Such is life. It is easier for them to safe than sorry, and being safe meant firing the employee in question.
Wow, I went to the Guinness brewery tour too, big deal, I wouldn't suspend her.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,202,993 times
I wouldn't strike John Smith. I'd strike the accuser in a heartbeat.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Wow, I went to the Guinness brewery tour too, big deal, I wouldn't suspend her.
The anonymous email against this teacher was claiming to be a concerned parent. Again, employers would do anything/everything to avoid a controversy. In this case, they fired a teacher to avoid a potential controversy with a possible parent even though we still have no idea who sent the anonymous email.

Some people on here want the world to be fair. They want the world to make sense. This is simply wistful thinking.

The case with the fired teacher, sounds simple, right? Well, the court ruled against her. She is still out of a job 2 years later.

People on here needs to learn that it's a cruel world out there. Otherwise, they're in for a surprise one day.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, the 90% really did come out of my rear end since I do not have the mathematical calculations to back it up.

But again, there are plenty of examples out there for us to look at. The last thing an employer wants os controversy. Firing the at will employee is the quick and clean way to avoid controversy. Life ain't fair.
Again you make broad statements that aren't really backed up by anything other than a few one off examples and very specific occupations. Why do you think most big companies have very rigid and documented procedures before they fire someone? It is to avoid this "controversy" you seem to think just firing someone will make go away. I think most companies would see the firing of someone because of something like this has the potential to cause much more "controversy" than keeping the person.

And you seem to speak like everyone posting is fresh out of college and doesn't know the how the "real world" operates. This is simply not true.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Again you make broad statements that aren't really backed up by anything other than a few one off examples and very specific occupations. Why do you think most big companies have very rigid and documented procedures before they fire someone? It is to avoid this "controversy" you seem to think just firing someone will make go away. I think most companies would see the firing of someone because of something like this has the potential to cause much more "controversy" than keeping the person.

And you seem to speak like everyone posting is fresh out of college and doesn't know the how the "real world" operates. This is simply not true.
Well, a single 'L' makes a difference between the words "public" and "pubic". True story. Someone I know left out the letter 'L' in his resume where it says "Public Relations".

I didn't say companies will fire anyone to avoid controversy. I said to avoid controversies companies will probably take the name(s) of the candidate(s) involved off the list and if it's about an at-will employee then chances are the employee will be let go.

The lower a person is on the totem poll, the more likely he will be the sacrificial lamb for his company to avoid controversy.

I sound the way I do because some people don't seem to get that the real world isn't college.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,857,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It does in certain occupations.

Anyone with a security clearance lives in fear of the "anonymous" accusation.
People with high level clearances tend to be too valuable to pull their clearance based on anonymous accusations, but the investigation can be a lot of trouble for everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or