U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
 
34 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Do you have permission to work in the US?
Yes, I have a Green Card
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,274,949 times
Reputation: 6512
Sounds like you will do just fine then. It would be more of an issue if you needed sponsorship - if you are already legal to work, then just make sure to emphasize your qualifications. A lot of employers aren't prejudiced by other country qualifications, but you need to make sure they understand that they are equal or better ranked than other common ones, such as mentioning the ranking of your graduate school. Also, since you are from Italy, do you speak any Spanish? I would mention that as well if you do. Even though I don't use my French in practice, a lot of hiring managers seem impressed by it, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
A lot of employers aren't prejudiced by other country qualifications, but you need to make sure they understand that they are equal or better ranked than other common ones, such as mentioning the ranking of your graduate school.
Far from being "prejudiced" against, most large corporate entities are very well aware of and up to date on European academics and their related standings compared to US institutions of higher learning in the same field. That was so in the "Brain Drain" during the late 60s/early 70s and hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM
 
34 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 29
Thank you for your answer

I see what you mean.

reagrding the education, i was considering to have my master certified World Education Services-International Credential Evaluation Expertise
and i will somehow give evidence of the ranking Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Universitą Bocconi

Yes, I fluently speak french and spanish (in addition to english and of course italian)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,274,949 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Far from being "prejudiced" against, most large corporate entities are very well aware of and up to date on European academics and their related standings compared to US institutions of higher learning in the same field. That was so in the "Brain Drain" during the late 60s/early 70s and hasn't changed.
Well, that's what I meant, I said many of them are not prejudiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
 
32,423 posts, read 16,612,446 times
Reputation: 17442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_C View Post
I am starting to get worried

In your opinion , how a potential employer will value :

- education -- I have graduated (Master of Science in Management)) in the TOP italian school, ranked 13th by Financial Times
- experiece -- 5+ year Strategic MArketing experience in World Largest TELCO carrier
- summer courses in Berkeley
- some sales and small business experience


The fact that I did not gradaute in an US school and that I have never worked in an US company will means that I am condemned , if I am lucky, to only aspire to an entry-level job?

I really hope not. That would be a tragedy
I was in your shoes a decade ago, so I can relate. First, don't panic.

Then, be aware that it is likely to take a bit longer than you'd like to land a job, and while you shouldn't be forced into entry-level jobs, you may have to accept that your career path can plateau or even take on a slightly downward slope for months, perhaps years. For the run-of-the-mill US marketing position, you'll be the odd one out, and you'll need a hiring manager willing to take a chance.

That is the bad news. The good news is, your background is likely to be pretty unique. Once the opening for "multilingual telco marketing expert with deep knowledge of Italian market conditions" pop up, you're going to be pretty much the only one who fits the profile, you can negotiate from a position of strength, and your out-of-the-ordinary background is suddenly an asset.

I took a job I was way overqualified for (although not what I'd call entry-level) to get my foot in the door. After 18 months of that, I was headhunted to a much better position. The first rung on the ladder is a little higher for us furriners, it's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
 
34 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I was in your shoes a decade ago, so I can relate. First, don't panic.

Then, be aware that it is likely to take a bit longer than you'd like to land a job, and while you shouldn't be forced into entry-level jobs, you may have to accept that your career path can plateau or even take on a slightly downward slope for months, perhaps years. For the run-of-the-mill US marketing position, you'll be the odd one out, and you'll need a hiring manager willing to take a chance.

That is the bad news. The good news is, your background is likely to be pretty unique. Once the opening for "multilingual telco marketing expert with deep knowledge of Italian market conditions" pop up, you're going to be pretty much the only one who fits the profile, you can negotiate from a position of strength, and your out-of-the-ordinary background is suddenly an asset.

I took a job I was way overqualified for (although not what I'd call entry-level) to get my foot in the door. After 18 months of that, I was headhunted to a much better position. The first rung on the ladder is a little higher for us furriners, it's as simple as that.
Well, I guess you covered any possible doubt i could ever had .

Somehow I had already figured what would have been my possibilities..I just did not want want to admit to myself.

I hope it will be worth.

Can I ask you where you moved from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top