U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,787,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Canceling an interview after a candidate arrives is extremely disrespectful but companies are treating job applicants like excrement all the time currently. I have walked away from hiring processes before usually as a result of off their leash HR nit wits. I'd hear what they have to say and decide for yourself.
It is typical these days. For example, one idiot company I interviewed at years ago cancelled out on their phone interview TWICE with no explanation, then got offended when I called to ask what happened so it could be rescheduled?! Of course, that place was run by morons - once I made it to the onsite interview, it was clear their HR department was nothing but bimbos hired for their looks - so it came as no surprise. They also "forgot" to send me the complete application form, nearly "lost" my resume, and then sent me a rejection letter the day after the onsite interview... which leads me to wonder why they bothered with the whole circus show since they clearly had no intent of hiring me anyway. Whatever...

Good luck, and wait it out and see what happens. Maybe something came up and they'll straighten it out, or maybe they are just the usual crop of morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM

354 posts, read 689,791 times
First, what type of job did you apply to? Seem like awful lot of hoops to jump through.

Yes it was very rude of them to cancel after you already arrived. One time about an hour before I was heading out, I got a call telling me the interview was cancelled and the job was filled. And this was before I spoke to anyone at that company. But in your case you apparently interviewed successfully and passed their online test. So maybe its like the other posters said, something came up. I would keep looking but if they called to reschedule I would defiantly go.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 PM

417 posts, read 713,149 times
You think an exec is going to put your little interview ahead of possible board meetings/committees etc? Meetings at big corporations get moved all the time, even several times. Don't get mad about it.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM

48 posts, read 56,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Up until this morning I felt like this was my dream job and my prayers were coming true. It seemed to be a career defining opportunity. Now my reaction is F-this. They are wasting my time.

My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting?
No, you are not over reacting. It is YOUR GUT TELLING YOU SOMETHING THERE ISN'T RIGHT.

I had an experience just like this. I felt the same way you did & I think you are right to feel that way. The chemist guy is also right....employers treat applicants like dung. Remember, you are interviewing them too and they are already showing their disregard for you. This person being an "exec" means nothing and doesn't give him extra rights to step all over people. Something is wrong at this company.

In my situation, I followed bad advice and forgave them. I kowtowed to their every request and (finally) completed their extensively messy and very disorgnized process. The job lasted 3 months because after I was hired their treatment and disregard worsened.

You sound like a "principled" person. Should you get this job, trust me.........you will regret it. Your gut feeling will keep popping up & reminding you this was a mistake. I know we all need a job and turning one down could be hard, but trust your gut.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,376,689 times
Companies are whores; I typically wouldn't give up on one potential ***** until I had another one lined up for sure (written offer accepted and start date set).

Never stop looking for another ***** nor put all of your hope on one *****.

While you're with one *****, always keep an eye out for your next one.

The days of 30 years and a gold watch are over - just look out for yourself.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,830,316 times
YES you are overreacting .... some of the posts in this thread show why so many "can't find a job" ....

Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 PM

400 posts, read 1,317,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
First, what type of job did you apply to? Seem like awful lot of hoops to jump through.

Yes it was very rude of them to cancel after you already arrived. One time about an hour before I was heading out, I got a call telling me the interview was cancelled and the job was filled. And this was before I spoke to anyone at that company. But in your case you apparently interviewed successfully and passed their online test. So maybe its like the other posters said, something came up. I would keep looking but if they called to reschedule I would defiantly go.
mid manager fortune 500

Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,668,960 times
No OP, you're not overreacting. Did you at least get an apology for your time being wasted?

I would also let whomever you interviewed with prior know exactly what happened. Either through a phone call or email. Don't get emotional, just state the facts and see what kind of response you get.

The response will tell you what the company is like.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
It depends upon how badly you want this job and if there are other opportunities on the horizon for you. It sucks, the guy was a jerk to cancel last minute and this could be a big red flag. But you don't know the situation, maybe he had an emergency crop up and his Admin didn't get the memo early enough. Maybe his sandwich order got messed up. You don't know and they didn't tell you. Don't over think it. I know it's easier said than done. But keep pursuing other opportunities and when/if they call you to reschedule you can decide then if you want to take another interview with them.
I'm not sure 'how badly you want this job' applies here. It's more a matter of how badly she *thinks* she wants this job. No job is going to be a dream job for long if the organization she works with is callous and unprofessional. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but people make the mistake of convincing themselves before they take a job that they desperately want a particular job, only to find out that all the b.s. they have to put up with makes whatever perks and benefits they receive a net 'wash'. I'd be very put off by having someone cancel an interview - it's about respecting my time. I would definitely be willing to hear them out and have them offer an explanation, but if they assume that it's my job to impress them, then I'd be done with them.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, rudeness happens in life. I usually let small stuff go and keep focused on the bigger task at hand.
There's an argument to be made for seeing it that way, but then there's the other side of it.

The way I figure it, it's not too much to ask for someone to respect my time. I can even accept an "Oops, I messed up my schedule" if they are deeply apologetic about it and seem to genuine respect me as a person. But if someone just comes on and flippantly tells me, "Yeah, sorry, can't meet today," after I've probably taken time away from work to go through the trouble of scheduling an interview knowing I might not even get the job...that's just crap I'm not going to put up with. It tells me A LOT about the kind of people they are and what they'd be like to work with. Sure, if the choice is between a job and the unemployment line, maybe you have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or