U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,283,097 times

Advertisements

There's no worse feeling, particularly when you're out of work and so anxious about getting things back on track.

During the only true period of unemployment in my career I once hauled myself in a wool suit and tie into Manhattan on a day where the temperature spiked to near 100 degrees and humidity was in the 90's for an interview with a large insurance company. I met with the HR person for thirty minutes, waited nearly an hour for the hiring manager to meet with me (I was supposed to meet with them immediately following the HR meeting) only to have them tell me the manager needed to leave unexpectedly and that they would reschedule with me if necessary. Being somewhat desperate not to return home to my wife and two young children empty handed I decided to take the high road out of there, thinking that maybe they would call me in again and sweated back home, quietly crushed, angry and praying that karma is a real thing. More than a decade later I'm still waiting for that phone call.

Stay strong, shake it off and consider this just a page in your life story that one day will make a colorful story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
YAZ

7,076 posts, read 11,853,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Canceling an interview after a candidate arrives is extremely disrespectful but companies are treating job applicants like excrement all the time currently. I have walked away from hiring processes before usually as a result of off their leash HR nit wits. I'd hear what they have to say and decide for yourself.
Always the voice of reason and you tell it like it is.

These schlubs don't give a flying fudge cookie if you miss work or totally revamp your schedule to meet with them.

They couldn't care less that one could actually be productive instead of wasting valuable time getting ready for the interview and actually making a point to be there on time.

These are the same folks that demand your respect once you're working FOR THEM, just because they have a M.Sc. from an online diploma mill.

My best guess in the OP's current scenario is that the principals had already decided on a candidate, (or had 2 or 3 finalists in mind) and casually "forgot" to let others know. They were just too damn busy to communicate that tough idea to their minions.

Look folks, I realize that it's tough out there right now, but always remember:

You're interviewing them as well.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM

754 posts, read 868,776 times
OP, have you heard back from them? If so, what was the excuse? I agree with most. It is rude and is a warning sign. But in this economy, employers know they have the upper hand. And the irony is that when the job market turns around and employees quit, employers will complain that there's no loyalty.

If they do call back and depending on how badly you want the job, you may want to indicate that you have a busy schedule suggesting that you are down the road with a few serious opportunities. Perhaps saying that "when it rains, it pours". Or something to the effect that YOU are in demand. I know others' will disagree with me on this but they have already shown how important you are to them...turn the tables.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,913,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
So I applied for an opportunity a few months ago. The hiring was on hold until the top of this year. So since the last month (January) I have had a phone interview and two in person interviews at the office where the job would be located. Last week I was requested to complete an hour and half long online psychological test/ assessment and was then asked to have a video interview with the C level exec at the home office.

The video conference interview was scheduled for this morning. Upon arriving at the third party facility I was assigned a conference room and a nice guy set up the camera and phone for the conference. As the conference was to start the admin of the exec comes on the line and without emotion says "Mr X. cant do this now. We're canceling. I'll contact the HR rep to reschedule you."

Up until this morning I felt like this was my dream job and my prayers were coming true. It seemed to be a career defining opportunity.

Now my reaction is F-this. They are wasting my time. I had to drive to this business center for this interview and dress as if it was face to face. I immediately felt disrespected.... Did the C-level exec get a glimpse of me and change his mind? Did some other magical candidate appear? Was there a tsunami that prevented this guy from taking a minimum of 20 minutes to speak to me - it could've been quick?

My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting? Are my emotions and pride getting the best of me? Would you reschedule a video conference without further explanation? Would you demand a simple phone interview if you did reschedule? Would you walk away and say stop wasting my time?"

I feel like this process has gone on long enough and I don't want to become any more emotionally invested.... But I know there are many perspectives to any given event in life so weigh in CDF
If you do it the next time they should use Skype instead of making you go to some facility for a videoconference. It's disheartening but maybe there was some sort of corporate emergency he had to tend to at that moment. I don't know. It sounds like you have already jumped through a lot of hoops my friend.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 165,840 times
If it is your dream job, consider giving them a second chance. However, I understand your frustration. A similar thing happened to my husband, it was for a high level technical/engineering position. His video interview got cancelled at the last minute, no apologies, no rescheduling. Then out of the blue, two weeks later, they were after him again for another interview.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM

15,751 posts, read 26,796,503 times
You are over reacting. Don't let it bother you. Get over it and get on with your life. Realize you don't have the job just yet. You were told that the HR Dept would reshedule. Go with that. At the same time, I would practice what you are going to present at the interview. Also continue to look at other opportunities.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,281,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
YES you are overreacting .... some of the posts in this thread show why so many "can't find a job" ....
So taking time away from your current job, risking your current job, and expecting to be treated professionally and like a human being is why people cant find a job. You need to revamp your idea of professional courtesy.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,246,469 times
I had this happen. I had to take off work only to have them call me to reschedule. I told them I couldn't do that since taking off work was a serious issue so they found someone else to interview me. Ii get there and waited almost an hour for someone to interview me, only it was obvious they had no idea how to do this. While there I overheard a conversation where it was implied someone was already hired for the job. I think they just interviewed me just to make it look good and instead could have told me when they called they weren't going to interview me instead of making excuses.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If they go to reschedule, listen closely for their attitude regarding this incompetently handled (so far) incident. If it is unapologetic, and if you do not absolutely NEED this job, do not pursue this opportunity, with only one exception. If the industry is one you like, and you could use this experience to get hired at perhaps their direct competitor next, if I were you, I'd pursue it even if I didn't like their attitude. But I'd be viewing them as a short stop means to an end, and an end they do not forsee.
Better yet, write a letter to the office of the CEO, especially if you do not hear anything in the next few days.

Tell them while you understand unforeseen things happen, you feel it is unprofessional to cancel an interview when you arrive and then not apologize by rescheduling within 24/48 hours.

Also, tell them that you will be telling your friends/colleagues/local industry groups about their unprofessional behavior. The last thing the CEO wants is their company to be trashed, and not be able to hire anyone to get the work done.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,306,505 times
I am retired but still looking for a job.

I was scheduled last week to come in and talk to five different people over a half day at a leading employer. After the first person saw I had gray hair and wrinkles (I had only 15 years of jobs on my resume.), she withdrew emotionally and intellectually from the conversation and the interview lasted ten minutes. Then they sat me down in the lobby and the lady who interviewed me ran up and down the hall whispering to a number of people. Finally she came out and said there had been an emergency and the people I was scheduled to talk to had been called out. They would be in touch. The next day I got a rejection email.

Would you have preferred that happen to you instead?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 02-07-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or