U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,049,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I see both sides. And I've seen this happen more than once to people. Sometimes stuff just comes up, unavoidable. Especially with top executives. I know people will say, "I don't care if they are an exec, no one does that to me" and sure, that's fine. But the reality is these execs are often pulled in a million different directions, some have a gazillion direct reports and many fires to put out. I have supported many top execs and this stuff is not uncommon. It sucks when it happens, and many times I've been the one who had to tell the candidate (but I am always very apologetic; I understand it's a hardship and major inconvenience to the candidate). I'm just the messenger, but I never want the person to feel disrespected. Sometimes no matter what they feel that way and rightfully so in many instances. I know when my exec has had to do this he feels terrible, but he reports to the CEO and our company is a large, famous internet company ...and when she calls, he has to meet her. No questions asked. I'm shaking my head at the flippant way you were treated when told it was canceled. That is just not necessary.

OP, for whatever reason -- it happened. If you really want this job, I'd wait a day or 2 and see if they do call you back to reschedule. If you don't want this job, or this has put a bad taste in your mouth about this company, I'd move on.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find the right job.
Unless an exec is interviewing a person to be a direct report, as opposed to a simple rank and file worker, why do they need to be part of interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,249,229 times
I understand that things happen-- I really do, but it does seem a bit off that the OP never got an apology of sorts (s/he at least doesn't mention it).

It's especially annoying if you had to coordinate a lot of things to get there, such as taking a day off from work and what not.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Would you have preferred that he got on with you, distracted, and gave it a half hearted ten minutes which left you saying WTF?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. What else are you going to do? Pout? And have no chance at getting an offer?
THANK YOU. Common sense.

What's more important? Being angry or getting the job and building your career?

Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
Do you know exactly why it was cancelled? There could have been legitimate reasons that the admin wasn't prepared to share with you, eg: a family emergency. Maybe she could've presented in a nicer fashion, and yes it's frustrating that you got all the way there and then nothing, but stuff happens. Fingers crossed they reschedule and it all works out.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,547,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Better yet, write a letter to the office of the CEO, especially if you do not hear anything in the next few days.

Tell them while you understand unforeseen things happen, you feel it is unprofessional to cancel an interview when you arrive and then not apologize by rescheduling within 24/48 hours.

Also, tell them that you will be telling your friends/colleagues/local industry groups about their unprofessional behavior. The last thing the CEO wants is their company to be trashed, and not be able to hire anyone to get the work done.
I've worked directly with a couple of CEOs. First of all it's highly unlikely such a letter would EVER reach a CEO. High-level managers don't open their own mail; they have screeners. The screener will send this note to HR with a sticky that says "handle this." HR will respond to the letter with a perfunctory and trite letter of apology, if they respond at all. But in either case HR will blacklist the sender from ever getting another interview at the company. If the OP wants to confront, it should be done professionally, IN PERSON, where a back-and-forth conversation can be held and they have the ability to demonstrate they are, indeed, someone qualified to work there, not just a crank who has resentments and makes threats.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,402,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
So I applied for an opportunity a few months ago. The hiring was on hold until the top of this year. So since the last month (January) I have had a phone interview and two in person interviews at the office where the job would be located. Last week I was requested to complete an hour and half long online psychological test/ assessment and was then asked to have a video interview with the C level exec at the home office.

The video conference interview was scheduled for this morning. Upon arriving at the third party facility I was assigned a conference room and a nice guy set up the camera and phone for the conference. As the conference was to start the admin of the exec comes on the line and without emotion says "Mr X. cant do this now. We're canceling. I'll contact the HR rep to reschedule you."

Up until this morning I felt like this was my dream job and my prayers were coming true. It seemed to be a career defining opportunity.

Now my reaction is F-this. They are wasting my time. I had to drive to this business center for this interview and dress as if it was face to face. I immediately felt disrespected....
You were. Don't let others in here tell you otherwise. You WERE disrespected.

Quote:
My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting? Are my emotions and pride getting the best of me?
Nope.

Quote:
Would you reschedule a video conference without further explanation?
Nope, I would not.

Quote:
Would you demand a simple phone interview if you did reschedule? Would you walk away and say stop wasting my time?"
Your gut is telling you what to do. These people are too afraid to make a decision and are time wasters. Walk away and never look back.

Quote:
But I know there are many perspectives to any given event in life so weigh in CDF
Stop making excuses for these people. They're treating you like garbage BEFORE you even work for them. Imagine what being around these indecisive rude knuckleheads will be like in the future.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,672,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I have been there...think about it like a doctors office...the 9 a.m. patient took an hour, so the ten got pushed back...then the 11:00 was 45 minutes late...then the absolute must see patient in hospital for an emergency came up and suddenly the 3 p.m. appointment (you!) is two hours behind.

The same thing happens in the C suite. And from having been there, I can tell you that interviewing people gets pushed pretty far down the list when it comes to time. It's sad, but it is true.

Now, they 'owe' you. Don't rub it in their face. Use it to your advantage when you get on air with them. Don't cop an attitude, but they are -1 with you, and it might just work to tip the scales when the "C" guy acknowledges that you hung in there with them, you therefore must want this job, they treated you poorly but you understood, and bingo....we are buddies all of a sudden, and here's a job offer.

Would you have preferred that he got on with you, distracted, and gave it a half hearted ten minutes which left you saying WTF?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. What else are you going to do? Pout? And have no chance at getting an offer?

Well while you may sit for hours and hours in a doctor's office, many of us don't.

Had a situation where the doctor was called away(hey that happens), what I did not appreciate and I was quite vocal about was that the office staff should have called patients as they were now backed up 3 hours.

A simple phone call telling patients the doctor has been called away and we're now running behind several hours should have been placed.

So not everyone just sits on their hands and let people treat them in a rude manner by showing no regard for their time. Whether it is a doctor's office or a job interview.

The OP is owed an apology, if they don't get one I would think long and hard about what kind of company this is.

It would be one thing it the OP was doing a Skype interview from their home, but they had to get dressed up, drive to a location, most likely had to pay to park their car, etc. No one could have called them ahead of time and hopefully caught them before they headed out the door?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 PM

27,311 posts, read 15,772,260 times
I had this on a phone interview, I actually e-mailed the interviewer and she called me for it later. Apparently there was a training seminar that she forgot about when scheduling the interview.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM

131 posts, read 91,231 times
You were assessed when the guy set up the camera and phone. With today`s technology, they could have easily passed your image and mannerisms to the interested parties and a decision was made while you were wondering if you shaved completely or their was a spot on your tie. They may have even set the thing up to get your reaction to this postponement...to see if they could spot anger or hurt- confusion. That is my feeling.

Like some before me have said, if they don`t call back in a couple of days it is unlikely they will call at all and to waste your time and your life requesting or demanding explanations is only going to penalize you. Also, as others have said, even an odor of dissatisfaction from you about how you were treated can cause you to be black-balled not only at the place you will never ever work but any other like it where HR departments rely on each others 'intelligence' network. Believe it. Never forget, you work for yourself. Only. Personally, I think many people when going to an interview, come across as being so much 'team players' they seem needy or codependent. This may be the reason so many HR departments have become so schizophrenic in trying to pick Mr. or Ms. Perfect for even the most mundane jobs.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 PM

788 posts, read 728,077 times
It is disrespectful when the interviewee shows up for an interview and the interviewer is a no show, without prior notice. As several posters mentioned, couldn't they have found someone else to interview you so it wouldn't have been a wasted trip.
However, I don't think you should throw in the towel on the job just yet. Things do happen. It was just one time. I'd forgive but not forget.
Since you mentioned this is your dream job, I think you should accept the rescheduled interview if they offer it. Now, if they continue to show this kind of disorganization in the remainder of the process, then I think you should consider whether or not you would want to work for the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or