U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM

27,534 posts, read 15,894,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
You were assessed when the guy set up the camera and phone. With today`s technology, they could have easily passed your image and mannerisms to the interested parties and a decision was made while you were wondering if you shaved completely or their was a spot on your tie. They may have even set the thing up to get your reaction to this postponement...to see if they could spot anger or hurt- confusion. That is my feeling.
Couldn't they go through the motions and say "we will be contacting our candidates that made the next phase on ____" at the end? I'm sorry, but if you set aside time and money (remember transportation DOES cost money whether it bus, train, cab or ferry fare or gas in your vehicle and most aren't within reasonable bicycle ride or walking distance) for the interview, there is no reason you shouldn't get a call or e-mail saying it was canceled OR if your idea is correct, they don't even interview you. Put yourself in the OP's shoes, say they drove a half an hour to an hour for their interview (and back) that time is now lost and now they have an hour or two less to submit applications, network, interview elsewhere, ect. that week. As much as it takes time away from the interviewer, it takes away from the interviewee (on the individual basis, not the entire process.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,680,982 times
My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting?

Yes

Wait until they call you back.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM

155 posts, read 230,570 times
Maybe they received acceptance for the position from a previous candidate they were in negotiations with that morning before you arrived. In which case, the position was no longer available.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM

9,797 posts, read 7,096,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
Where I work HR is usually on time for interviews but people at the VP level up to our COO will keep them waiting for over an hour without so much as a word. Sometimes I think it is a game to see what type of abuse the applicant will take. Because meeting with senior management is usually the last step before being hired, most candidates will play the good solider and wait and wait and wait. Our COO will cancel appointments at the last minute even if the candidate is sitting in the lobby if he does not "feel it" after walking past the person. And people complain about HR!!
Don't think I'd accept a job at that company.....

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM

8,751 posts, read 12,256,848 times
I think all the 4+ step interviews of today are out of control. They had you in person twice and couldn't yet agree - that's a bit much. Given that, I would've still done your video conference and been just as disappointed as you, but this seemed pretty abrupt so I would give them the benefit of the doubt this 1 time. If you're not at all desperate for this job then you can decide to give them the finger.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 PM

53 posts, read 52,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
So I applied for an opportunity a few months ago. The hiring was on hold until the top of this year. So since the last month (January) I have had a phone interview and two in person interviews at the office where the job would be located. Last week I was requested to complete an hour and half long online psychological test/ assessment and was then asked to have a video interview with the C level exec at the home office.

The video conference interview was scheduled for this morning. Upon arriving at the third party facility I was assigned a conference room and a nice guy set up the camera and phone for the conference. As the conference was to start the admin of the exec comes on the line and without emotion says "Mr X. cant do this now. We're canceling. I'll contact the HR rep to reschedule you."

Up until this morning I felt like this was my dream job and my prayers were coming true. It seemed to be a career defining opportunity.

Now my reaction is F-this. They are wasting my time. I had to drive to this business center for this interview and dress as if it was face to face. I immediately felt disrespected.... Did the C-level exec get a glimpse of me and change his mind? Did some other magical candidate appear? Was there a tsunami that prevented this guy from taking a minimum of 20 minutes to speak to me - it could've been quick?

My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting? Are my emotions and pride getting the best of me? Would you reschedule a video conference without further explanation? Would you demand a simple phone interview if you did reschedule? Would you walk away and say stop wasting my time?"

I feel like this process has gone on long enough and I don't want to become any more emotionally invested.... But I know there are many perspectives to any given event in life so weigh in CDF
Your not alone, I also have had ugly experiences with many lowlife cockeyed upper management staff. On that note, if it will not be an inconvenient for you then I would definately rescheulde an interview. If the business center is far I would ask for a reimbursement.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 PM

55,809 posts, read 74,837,305 times
hang in there the right job is waiting to connect with you, dont get angry its skunk juice to employers the most unempathetic people on earth.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,232,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Unless an exec is interviewing a person to be a direct report, as opposed to a simple rank and file worker, why do they need to be part of interviews?
You must be new to it.

Certain companies want their potentials to interview every person in the chain of command. Not all but a lot. It often is dependent on the salary they're going to pay. I had an initial interview with a guy who got my resume from a company they worked with. The final interview was with the Sales Director, the CFO, the president and this guy. My current role, they flew me up and I met with two team members, the team manager, the department manager, a project manager, and the CIO. They hired another guy. I wasn't happy, as I knew I was the best they'd interview. Felt like a waste of time.

One of the team members I met quit, they flew me up to re-interview with all of the chain again. Had an offer letter already typed and ready for me to sign by the time I got back up to HR.

Point is, don't let your emotions knock you out of a good opportunity. Regardless of the reason, be understanding. Show them that you're above petty.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 AM

174 posts, read 267,083 times
1.) Yes, it was very rude on his part, but what can you do. Employers have always been in the position of power, and to them you are just a measly candidate.
2.) He is a C-level, so you can be sure as hell that he has a lot to deal with. Don't take it personally.

The road to employment is a long and tedious one (most of the time) and I'm still on that journey like you are. Best of luck.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:06 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,154,103 times
I think since there's so many people still out of work or under employed and most businesses have stacks of applications the hiring managers think they can do whatever they want. It's a power trip. This is absolutely an employer's market.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or