U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM

754 posts, read 873,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
i simply said i understand. i didn't excuse it with "no problem... no big deal."
Great! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM

206 posts, read 346,535 times
Excellent news. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,146,467 times
Quote:
i received an apology shortly after (same day) the interview was cancelled. i agreed to reschedule the interview for later this week.
It is good news that at least they recognized the need to do the proper thing..apologize.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Wow, your COO does that. However, he probably wants accountability from others. What is an applicant sitting in the lobby supposed to do to make him feel it!?
I remember watching this documentary on the Real Estate fiasco that sent us in our current recession/depression. They interviewed an executive officer from Goldman Sachs that said when he first interviewed for the company, the executive kept all of them waiting for 2 to 4 hours.

The explanation for this was because many of their super rich clients did this to the "help" all the time, so they test all the potential new hires with this method to see what they will put up with.

He said by the time the executive came out he was the only one still waiting and got the job.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,444,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
Where I work HR is usually on time for interviews but people at the VP level up to our COO will keep them waiting for over an hour without so much as a word. Sometimes I think it is a game to see what type of abuse the applicant will take. Because meeting with senior management is usually the last step before being hired, most candidates will play the good solider and wait and wait and wait. Our COO will cancel appointments at the last minute even if the candidate is sitting in the lobby if he does not "feel it" after walking past the person. And people complain about HR!!
I'll bet you didn't know that once I hit the send button on my application to your company, that I have rights! Rights under federal law and given your posts here, your company violates them. Any question you ask me, any interaction you have with me at all, any perceived, or exclusion, or negative interaction is all potential liability for you and your company! I bet you didn't know that if your COO, (another pompous arrogant ass) schedules interviews, makes people sit for hours, then cancels because he doesn't "feel it" that he is subjecting himself to circling vultures waiting right outside your door called lawyers, who if a group of these victimized people got together, could easy sue his pompous arrogant AZZZ and win!

Furthermore, if your COO did that to me and I ran into him some night out at oh, say a local pub, I'd spill my drink right in his face!

You and your ilk make me sick!

The people of America, looking for work do not have to co-tower to likes of you. You and your ilk will get what's coming to you one day. You'll **** off the wrong people.

This thread is making me sick!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 AM

155 posts, read 230,784 times
Every dog has its day...HR and COO/CFO etc. are no exception. Karma does not discriminate its practices equal opportunity across the board.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM

754 posts, read 873,892 times
On another thread, someone suggested that HR-DIR and I'm Retired Now are the same person. I think that's correct. No one in HR would say anything like that. I wouldn't let it get to you. I think someone is just bored and is having a little fun with us.

Again, I have interviewed a lot with upper level management and have never seen that. By the time you get to that point, it's more of a "welcome aboard" and a review of the company's objectives. Most have been very pleasant and just want to shake your hand and get you going.

The only times I have played little waiting games has been with mid-level management who usually has more ego than brains and are the first to go when things get tough. In general, most mid-level managers shouldn't even have jobs. They spend their days "circling back" and thinking of ways to justify their jobs and coming up with silly corporate jargon phrases like "reach out" or "fluid situation".

And for me, I would and have walked out when the little waiting game is played. If I see a potential boss act that way for "hello", I know I am in the wrong place. I have told their assistants who usually look unhappy to work for the jerk that I have other interviews that I must go to now and that if John or Jane is serious about discussing the opportunity further, they know how to reach me.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

255 posts, read 325,606 times
Quote:
So I applied for an opportunity a few months ago. The hiring was on hold until the top of this year. So since the last month (January) I have had a phone interview and two in person interviews at the office where the job would be located. Last week I was requested to complete an hour and half long online psychological test/ assessment and was then asked to have a video interview with the C level exec at the home office.

The video conference interview was scheduled for this morning. Upon arriving at the third party facility I was assigned a conference room and a nice guy set up the camera and phone for the conference. As the conference was to start the admin of the exec comes on the line and without emotion says "Mr X. cant do this now. We're canceling. I'll contact the HR rep to reschedule you."

Up until this morning I felt like this was my dream job and my prayers were coming true. It seemed to be a career defining opportunity.

Now my reaction is F-this. They are wasting my time. I had to drive to this business center for this interview and dress as if it was face to face. I immediately felt disrespected.... Did the C-level exec get a glimpse of me and change his mind? Did some other magical candidate appear? Was there a tsunami that prevented this guy from taking a minimum of 20 minutes to speak to me - it could've been quick?

My question to the forum is "Am I over reacting? Are my emotions and pride getting the best of me? Would you reschedule a video conference without further explanation? Would you demand a simple phone interview if you did reschedule? Would you walk away and say stop wasting my time?"

I feel like this process has gone on long enough and I don't want to become any more emotionally invested.... But I know there are many perspectives to any given event in life so weigh in CDF
Geez..this seems like a giant waste of time. Whatever happened to companies just looking you in the eye, giving you a firm handshake, and then asking you questions about your work experience and abilities?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,186,502 times
Quote:
By now, oldtrader, the OP should have received an abject apology with the exact reason this occurred. Things do happen, especially at that level.
It is none of the OP's business why it was necessary for the appointment to be cancelled. All the OP should expect is being told it had to be cancelled. What was going on that forced the cancellation is never the business outside those that need to know.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM

17,006 posts, read 20,792,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is none of the OP's business why it was necessary for the appointment to be cancelled. All the OP should expect is being told it had to be cancelled. What was going on that forced the cancellation is never the business outside those that need to know.

All the OP should expect is to be told that it is canceled, WITH AN APOLOGY.

Which did come later.

Everyone's time is valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or