Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 96,207 times

Advertisements

Just curious about (generally) what process is required between deciding on the candidate and extending an offer -- and how long this process usually takes.

I'm fairly optimistic about receiving an offer soon -- I've had two interviews, with hiring manager and team lead and then with hiring manager, team lead, and entire team I'd be working with. They both went extremely well and I've known from the start that I was only one of a few candidates being considered. Both interviews went over time, had excellent conversational flow, and I was offered a tour of the facilities after each interview (two different sites).

Please assume, for hypothetical sake, that a decision was made immediately following the second interview.

So far, three business days have passed from my 2nd interview. If the hiring manager passed on the green light to send an offer, what typically needs to be done from an administrative standpoint before I get the call? Any guesstimates when I might hear back?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,426 times
It could be anywhere from an immediate offer to a several month wait. It completely depends on the company and the internal approvals and processes they have to go through before making an official offer.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM

402 posts, read 745,587 times
There are lots of variables and moving parts and each company has a different process. Background checks can take a week sometimes more if that is part of their process. They may be checking on budget and timing. If you have discussed compensation, that may be a factor as well.

When you were having these great conversations with them, did you ask about what the remaining steps in the process were and the timing of them. I understand a common answer from hiring managers is "soon". If you have had any discussions with a recruiter or HR rep, you should be comfortable enough to go back to them for clarification or other general questions (like a benefits questions) and then ask about the remaining steps.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
A mom and pop shop could be less than a week. A company with over 10k employees would be 1-2 weeks.

I had one company call me back after 4 months. There was a temporary hiring freeze that started in the 4th quarter. They called me back in January.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfhuntard View Post
Just curious about (generally) what process is required between deciding on the candidate and extending an offer -- and how long this process usually takes.

I'm fairly optimistic about receiving an offer soon -- I've had two interviews, with hiring manager and team lead and then with hiring manager, team lead, and entire team I'd be working with. They both went extremely well and I've known from the start that I was only one of a few candidates being considered. Both interviews went over time, had excellent conversational flow, and I was offered a tour of the facilities after each interview (two different sites).

Please assume, for hypothetical sake, that a decision was made immediately following the second interview.

So far, three business days have passed from my 2nd interview. If the hiring manager passed on the green light to send an offer, what typically needs to be done from an administrative standpoint before I get the call? Any guesstimates when I might hear back?

Thank you!

Why didn't you ask since things went so well? When they got to the "do you have any questions" portion of your interview?

If the opportunity comes up and it sounds like it did you politely ask about what the time frame is for making a decision. While you may not get an exact answer, you might get enough information as to where they are in the hiring process.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the responses! I guess it didn't dawn on me to ask -- I had been talking for 1+ hour at that point and didn't want to push it.

I know from a more-than-reliable source that the other candidates in the race were dismissed even before my 2nd interview because the company expressed their interest to pursue me. That doesn't give me much of a hint as to how long the process takes, but gives me a bit of confidence that it's coming.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I can only tell you how we do it. I will normally be able to make a decision right after the last interview. HR will then make an offer, usually the next day, but contingent upon the background, education and reference checks. If we have 3 days of interviews and you are on the first day, you would have to wait at least 3 days to get an offer. Most of the time we schedule to get them done in 1-2 days, after narrowing down the candidates from 30-100 applicants to a manageable number to interview, 10-15. After an offer is accepted it may take 3-5 days for the background etc. and then HR calls and a starting date is agreed upon.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Thank you for the insight!

It is now going on 5 full business days since the 2nd interview and I have not heard a thing. I have no reason to believe they won't eventually call, but this wait is making me worry and over-analyze everything.

As far as interviews go, they were incredible. I know there were originally three qualified candidates in the race -- a recruiter represented the other two. I know this recruiter personally and he let me know that the company was no longer pursuing his two candidates because they wanted to go with me. I also know that the hiring manager was slated to go on vacation last weekend, so a decision should have been made by Friday.

Not sure what else I can do but wait... This opportunity is absolutely perfect for my background, location, and ambitions -- I'd really hate to have to pass it by because of timing. However, I'm going on 4 weeks of being unemployed and have other interviews lined up. I really hope this one works out.

I know the process can and does take longer than 5 business days, but this is also going on the assumption that there are no other candidates to review and they had already planned on making an offer. I'm not quite sure what could be taking so long -- none of my references have been called.

Any ideas, theories, advice? Thank you!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:

It is now going on 5 full business days since the 2nd interview and I have not heard a thing. I have no reason to believe they won't eventually call, but this wait is making me worry and over-analyze everything.

As far as interviews go, they were incredible. I know there were originally three qualified candidates in the race -- a recruiter represented the other two. I know this recruiter personally and he let me know that the company was no longer pursuing his two candidates because they wanted to go with me. I also know that the hiring manager was slated to go on vacation last weekend, so a decision should have been made by Friday.

Not sure what else I can do but wait... This opportunity is absolutely perfect for my background, location, and ambitions -- I'd really hate to have to pass it by because of timing. However, I'm going on 4 weeks of being unemployed and have other interviews lined up. I really hope this one works out.

I know the process can and does take longer than 5 business days, but this is also going on the assumption that there are no other candidates to review and they had already planned on making an offer. I'm not quite sure what could be taking so long -- none of my references have been called.

It is possible they may be interviewing other candidates. Send an e-mail to the H.R manager to find out. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,787,186 times
Quote:

The company is going to work at the speed that works for them. You are going to have to decide if you are willing to go with that speed or if you need to go faster with someone else.

I understand that you are anxious to get started with this opportunity but you have to realize that it may still take weeks or months before they are ready to bring you on board. I'm still in a process that has being going on for over 2 months and while I've been fortunate that HR person has been keeping in touch with me, I still know that even if I am selected I will still have to go through the reference and background checks and if I pass those I would still have a relocation process to go through. And all of this is for a position that has been open for about 6 months so you would think that they would want to hurry and get someone on board because the hiring manager has been doing all of the work.

The best advice that I can give is just keep looking for other positions, in fact if you happen to get another offer while waiting for this offer to come in, it will give you some leverage especially if the other offer is better than the one that you are hoping to get. You can use that other offer to negotiate a higher salary or even if it's not a higher salary, just knowing that you may go somewhere else make cause them to move faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search