U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:17 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,842,396 times

Advertisements

Don't say you're having car trouble.

One of my old bosses would gladly come get you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,063,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post

My question is, should I be honest with my manager that I need to travel out of town to attend this interview?
NO.

Personal emergency/situation w/o getting explicit is the best response.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,495,525 times
You can always have an "inpatient procedure" scheduled which will require two days.

There are a lot of ways to handle it. I would never tell them that you are interviewing out of state unless they are already behind you.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I totally agree in principle but, to avoid even telling half a lie, I would just ask for the time off to attend to "personal business" period.
Yep, I agree. Don't ever tell a lie. Just keep it vague.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,767,775 times
If you want to leave your currently employer BADLY and you want the new job BADLY as well, and they don't approve any vacation or time off, then it's AWOL time!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM

552 posts, read 700,009 times
just call in sick or if you want to be creative:

- I have a court date for something I'm not allow to tell anyone during the court proceedings
- Wife is having a baby
- Mistress is having a baby
- (insert name) is having a baby
- I have Bird flu

Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM

334 posts, read 466,517 times
Don't tell them. It's your business. Take care of yourself first. They would not hesitate the throw you into the fire and sneak about.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Out of town funeral; be gone 1 or 2 days max.

Friend of the family or something along those lines.

Doctor visit......and you don't want to discuss the details.

Good luck.

Exactly what I was going to say....funeral is called for here.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,547,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobalot View Post
Exactly what I was going to say....funeral is called for here.
If a funeral is going to be the excuse, you better have very realistic details planned. I've had bosses who would not only reply, "Who died?" but would immediately google the name after you walked out the door, looking for the obit.

You better rehearse something like, "My Aunt Biddie in [insert name of city where you're actually going] died and I have to go to the funeral. She was 92 so, of course, it wasn't unexpected. But my parents say I need to go because they think she's left our family some money or antiques or something and it would be tacky for me not to attend." And make sure your parents don't answer any phone calls from your business during the time you all are supposedly out of town. If you are asked why Aunt Margaret doesn't have an obituary, say, "She was in a care facility for a long time and not many people who knew her are still alive, so the family didn't publish one." That's also the reason you never mentioned rich Aunt Biddie. She's been "away" since you were in high school. And when you come back and tender your resignation, you can say, "I'm moving to [wherever] because dear Aunt Biddie left me her condo and a car!"

Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,843,091 times
Absolutely do not lie. BUT. Dont tell them. This is a "personal business" that you need to take care of "for your family" out of town. Tell them its distressing and you dont want to talk about it.

ALL true. this is your business, you work for you and your family to survive, and it could be very distressing to discuss it with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or