U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM

793 posts, read 1,289,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
I think I may have found your answer. Here are the Glassdoor guidelines (Community Guidelines | Glassdoor). The review must be balanced (i.e., pros and cons). An ex-employee can't just post an entire rant about how awful the workplace conditions are. He/she must also mention the good things.

If you would, you could post your entire original review. Then we can determine if it was worthy of being removed.
I don't have it anymore because is it was deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If your review was truthful, you most likely wouldn't lose a lawsuit because they couldn't prove you lied. Libel and slander lawsuits have to prove that what was said(or written) is untrue and it hurt the plaintiff financially. Don't sweat it.

I wrote a glassdoor review that was truthful and not really bad. It had some pros and cons that were very accurate. I checked a year or two later and my review was gone from glassdoor also.
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 AM

334 posts, read 467,264 times
Glassdoor changed and wants positive reviews. I think this happened a couple of years ago. Our local paper also changed forum policies and doesn't allow bad reviews of local places. Makes it tough to ferret out the reality about a place.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Glassdoor changed and wants positive reviews. I think this happened a couple of years ago. Our local paper also changed forum policies and doesn't allow bad reviews of local places. Makes it tough to ferret out the reality about a place.

So do you think that Glassdoor did that or does a company have to request a review to be removed?

I've noticed that GD has changed their format a bit, possibly make it easier to read?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:48 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The majority of cyberspace is "useless."

Glassdoor is a commercial site. They will do what is in their commercial interests.

They did not start the site to help people. They use the reviews as just another product/service to meet their commercial goals. There is no benevolent intent.
Lots of truth there.^^^

I suspect that the reviews are up until someone from the respective company notices the bad press and threatens legal action. It's not in gd's interest to go to court. They're not going to go to the mat to defend comments not having any way of verifying their authenticity - they could be trolls from a competing company for all they know.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If your review was truthful, you most likely wouldn't lose a lawsuit because they couldn't prove you lied. Libel and slander lawsuits have to prove that what was said(or written) is untrue and it hurt the plaintiff financially. Don't sweat it.

I wrote a glassdoor review that was truthful and not really bad. It had some pros and cons that were very accurate. I checked a year or two later and my review was gone from glassdoor also.
It costs a website money to defend against charges of defamation. There's really no recourse for an offended employer provided that the website agrees to comply with a request to take down negative information, but if they keep it up they're making a decision to publish it knowing its contents. It's easier to just shrug and say "Well, the poster had his say for the better part of X months, and I'm sure someone else will come along in a few more months and say something similar." Bits and pieces of it might end up in web crawler cache anyway. Easier just to delete it and move on.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
They probably want a bit of both. If people only post negative stuff, then the site becomes less credible and the reviews look like they're coming from malcontents. The same is true if there's only positive puff and fluff, of course. It's more credible if the reviews are balanced. But another consideration is that litigation is costly, and one day in court can wipe out lots of ad revenue rather quickly.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

yes but how would they even know? You don't even give your name to GD. Just an email address. It's supposed to be anonymous and as long as you abide by the guidelines, and GD approves the post, I think it can be a very helpful resource for people trying to figure out if a company is for them or not.

I did it before I applied at my current job.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM

The offended company would have to get a supenea for the ip address connected to the review.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,660,901 times
Glassdoor is a good idea in concept. But as with any anonymous posting site, it has many disadvantages as well.

First, you have the disgruntled workers who rant about a place they previously worked. Who knows how much truth there is to what they are saying. They may have been a poor worker and were terminated for that reason. Rants like that don't give a good, wholesome perspective about a place of employment. There are negatives to every job, but there are also some positives. You should post those as well and be fair to someone who is seriously considering working there.

Secondly, the company itself will either scour the boards or pay other firms to scour the boards for them, posting upbeat, positive comments about their place of employment. I've seen plenty of this and the posts are pretty apparent. This is unfair again, because it's only giving a one-sided account of the company without providing any balance.

I tend to look at the comments in the middle of the pack. Those comments that give a more detailed account of someone's employment experience are far more useful to me than someone's personal rant or the company's fluffy, glowing remarks about working there.

OP, without knowing exactly what you posted about your former employer, it's hard to say. I can personally say that I've seen countless "negative" comments on Glassdoor that have been posted for some time. I've even posted a couple critical comments myself about former employers, although I tend to share some positives as well just to give a fair overall assessment. Maybe you shared some personal information that the Glassdoor admins figured was inappropriate. Without knowing exactly what you posted, it's difficult to comment on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search