U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

I agree, it defeats the purpose if reviews are going to be monitored, taken down or removed. I read the negative reviews and still accepted a job with one of the companies, so the reviews are helpful. The company Super Color Digital was just as bad if not worse than the reviews. The irony is I am a senior level HR professional and they were not in compliance with any state or federal labor laws. Most of the employees had not had increases in three plus years and they refused to pay recruiting vendors for services rendered. Plus as the reviews stated, the hours were long and included weekends with no additonal incentives for salaried employees. Glassdoor's failure to provide a honest reliable service is exhibited in the review process and means Glassdoor is not an option or trustworty for candidates seeking factual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM

398 posts, read 572,711 times
I've soon learned that no review sites are accurate anymore. Almost anyone can sign up now a days and write a positive or negative review. First learned that about Yelp, now glassdoor. Kind of defeats the purpose, sigh.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM

89 posts, read 173,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I wrote a negative review of a former job on Glassdoor. It was accurate & informative. Not all was bad at the job and I included that as well.

That posting was on the glassdoor was approved and was on the website for a few months. I noticed today that it has been removed.

It was a review true to my account of my time at that company.

Does anyone have any idea why it was removed?
Post it again. At least it will be up another few months before they have to remove it again. Once it is down again, rinse and repeat.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM

6,106 posts, read 7,276,329 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are any legal ramifications of writing a negative review? I know it's anonymous however I think that by looking up the ip address, the company could find out who wrote the review.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes, there have been slander suits against sites as well as reviewers, especially Y+help.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Most likely what happened was that it was determined that the review did not meet Glassdoor's community guidelines: [url=http://www.glassdoor.com/about/guidelines.htm]Community Guidelines | Glassdoor[/url]. On Glassdoor, each piece of content posted must meet these guidelines and can be removed from site if it's discovered that it does not meet these guidelines. Any specific questions should be sent to [email]content@glassdoor.com[/email].

Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,281,513 times
This shouldn't surprise anyone. I mean, there have been stories in the news recently about Amazon removing negative product reviews at the seller or manufacturer's request. Likewise with Yelp removing negative or even mixed reviews of a business at said business's request. Both places also have "troll" positive reviews penned by the company or one of its marketing partners. There are entire businesses out there with the sole purpose of "controlling" and "protecting" their client's online image via reviews.

All of the above almost certainly applies to Glassdoor too.

Online reviews in general aren't useless, but they shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's the internet. When evaluating an employer, online reviews should be only one of multiple resources.

Also keep in mind that people are more likely to leave feedback if they have a strong negative or positive feeling about the employer, product or business. Those that are happy in a "satisfied, meets expectations" kind of way are more likely to keep quiet. Lastly when it comes to employers, many people are hesitant to speak out publicly about their current or former employer, even online "anonymously". They don't want to risk burning bridges.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
I created a database application on a website for interns to post their internship experiences and how they differ from the actual work description in the beginning. It is similar to what glassdoor is doing, but sadly glassdoor has become like yelp. Here's the internship app if you'd like to check it out:
[url=http://www.ragic.com/intern/internship/1#!/1]Internship Experience - Internship[/url]

Old 03-26-2014, 01:08 PM

40 posts, read 161,523 times
Quote:
Thanks for answering. Do you know why Glassdoor would do this? I'm assuming someone at the company saw my review and requested that it be removed however it was a truthful account of my experience. Isn't that worth something as far as Glassdoor is concerned?
Unfortunately Glassdoor makes money off of advertising, and they will remove a negative comment if asked, I agree with you and your review should remain up, maybe you can try to repost the review?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
I think its GD business model. They sell it to company with Bad review. I had really bad experience with a company. Out of 6 lateral hires with 5-6 yrs exp left within few month of joining. All of them posted bad experience they had. While posting my review, I could see all of them live. But after few days, I saw many new (fake) positive review and all negative review being removed. GlassDoor review are not trustworthy. They use it their business model.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,949,141 times
I wrote a negative but truthful review of an interview at a company in Minnetonka in February 2011 and it is still there today. I just checked, so they don't remove everything negative. Obviously this doesn't say much, maybe the company just didn't complain to Glassdoor or they just accept their fate of being a company that sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search