U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM

285 posts, read 391,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I wonder if there are any legal ramifications of writing a negative review? I know it's anonymous however I think that by looking up the ip address, the company could find out who wrote the review.

Anyone have any thoughts?
There are. If it's defamatory, they can remove it or take action against you... however truth is generally considered a defense to this. The best policy is to review honestly, yet avoid bold statements and preface your statements with "I feel" or "in my experience". When stated a certain way, courts have generally held that your opinion is covered under free speech rights. There's a difference between a statement of opinion, or a statement of fact. Avoid the latter. There are also anti-SLAPP laws and statutes enacted in certain states to protect online reviewers. Just avoid defamatory remarks, name calling, or anything a company would want to pursue action over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,547,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
After a bad experience at an interview with a small CPA firm, out of curiosity I visited the company's Glassdoor profle. There were pages and pages of negative reviews, most of which were about how verbally abusive the partners are. Several months later, I went back and noticed that not only had most of the bad reviews been deleted, but there were a few new ones about how it was such a great place to work. I'm sure those were either written by the partners themselves or they forced their employees to do it. I have no idea why Glassdoor removes reviews, but the fact that they do makes that site pretty much useless.
I agree, although I haven't posted a review of a job there, I feel that if Glassdoor deletes unfavorable reviews for any reason, is an automatic sign of distrust of that website, and thereby, rendering it useless. It's like Yelp! for employers. At Yelp, if a business doesn't like a negative review, they complain to get it removed and Yelp complies.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM

163 posts, read 199,037 times
My review of my old employer was removed too. I was very frank about my bad experience. I wrote a new review later that was still a true account but somehow less "negative"

I

Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 913 times
luckygirl15,
Myself and several workers that were all working for the same company also had negative reviews removed from the Company for which we worked. I have screen shots of dozens of reviews that were accepted by Glassdoor then removed. Many already had responses from the company. My company is what is known as an engaged employer. This means they have the ability to reply to all reviews posted about the company and they did so almost weekly. After doing some research on Glassdoor it appears that if a Company is willing to pay, Glassdoor will gladly remove all negative reviews they flag. We actually started to see a trend as my Company would go on and respond to most recent reviews. When you would see one that there was no response to within a day or two it would be gone. In essence our reviews are possible income for Glassdoor, and so their Trust statement: "Your trust is our top concern, so companies can't alter or remove reviews" is a obvious lie as reviews are constantly removed. Unfortunately ,for me, this makes them a very unreliable source to try and gain a perspective on any Company. In my opinion in actually enforces any negative reviews that may be posted as we surely know no positive reviews were removed. Although in the case of my particular it's obvious that they are more concerned with their online presence than working on correcting the obvious outlook on their Company. Glassdoor apparently has these companies believing that they play a huge factor in Company perception so they gladly pay up..

Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 AM

8,799 posts, read 13,291,364 times
So, in other words, Glassdoor is a fraud.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM

345 posts, read 320,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk1 View Post
luckygirl15,
Myself and several workers that were all working for the same company also had negative reviews removed from the Company for which we worked. I have screen shots of dozens of reviews that were accepted by Glassdoor then removed. Many already had responses from the company. My company is what is known as an engaged employer. This means they have the ability to reply to all reviews posted about the company and they did so almost weekly. After doing some research on Glassdoor it appears that if a Company is willing to pay, Glassdoor will gladly remove all negative reviews they flag. We actually started to see a trend as my Company would go on and respond to most recent reviews. When you would see one that there was no response to within a day or two it would be gone. In essence our reviews are possible income for Glassdoor, and so their Trust statement: "Your trust is our top concern, so companies can't alter or remove reviews" is a obvious lie as reviews are constantly removed. Unfortunately ,for me, this makes them a very unreliable source to try and gain a perspective on any Company. In my opinion in actually enforces any negative reviews that may be posted as we surely know no positive reviews were removed. Although in the case of my particular it's obvious that they are more concerned with their online presence than working on correcting the obvious outlook on their Company. Glassdoor apparently has these companies believing that they play a huge factor in Company perception so they gladly pay up..
Very good information. I have seen "engaged employer" and now it makes since how Glassdoor is making money (by getting paid) A red flag always comes up when I look into a company and it's all rosey and butterflies. I understand going into a job there is going to be good but also bad..don't sell me a resort when all you got is swamp land.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 10,938 times
Glassdoor is constantly hounding me for a review of my former employer. I really don't see any benefit for me to do this. Everyone's experience will vary based on their manager, business unit, etc.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM

2,897 posts, read 1,072,066 times
Glassdoor lately won't even let me see all the reviews unless I submit a review or a salary. As I'm still looking for a first job, this is a bummer.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM

299 posts, read 136,026 times
Glassdoor means nothing. I wrote a couple of negative reviews and they were posted for about a month. They have since been removed. My guess is the company paid them. Take that site lightly when reviewing a company.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 PM

1,033 posts, read 611,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Yes, there have been slander suits against sites as well as reviewers, especially Y+help.
Libel?

Mmmm... the only site that I have heard rumblings about is Yelp (taking down negative reviews if the business pays).

GD is anonymous. Reviews I wrote years ago are still up. When I am looking up a company, I get an overall feel of the "inner workings" by reading all the comments. If people are posting comments saying the place has high turnover; micro managers, etc. it is generally true. The glowing comments are usually written by management and HR. The old GD was excellent, but it has gone the way of LinkedIn.

Speaking of LI, the site has turned into a job-type version of Facebook. I was a beta user of LI in 1999 when it was just a concept. It took at least 8 years to be "discovered" by the public. Frankly, LI is so overly commercialized now that I no longer use it unless I want to find out if someone I know is connected to an employee of a company in which i am interested. Every single time, without fail, my connection doesn't know the person! Guess it's like FB - the goal is to have as many "connections" as possible to bolster one's profile/popularity. I only connect if I know someone; always ignore invitations from unknowns.

One site that has improved IMHO is Craigslist. When Craig ran the company in the beginning, it was a little neighborhood-type website with mostly non-profits posting job openings and community activities. (the electronic version of Penny Saver). At least in the Bay Area, CL is one of the best places for us to post job openings, along with Indeed.

Last edited by Annie1004; 01-27-2016 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Adding my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search