Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM

400 posts, read 1,506,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I wrote a negative review of a former job on Glassdoor. It was accurate & informative. Not all was bad at the job and I included that as well.

That posting was on the glassdoor was approved and was on the website for a few months. I noticed today that it has been removed.

It was a review true to my account of my time at that company.

Does anyone have any idea why it was removed?
company probably threatened legal action. you could try to repost it or write a review on careerbliss or indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 AM

400 posts, read 1,506,831 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are any legal ramifications of writing a negative review? I know it's anonymous however I think that by looking up the ip address, the company could find out who wrote the review.

Anyone have any thoughts?
its definitely traceable.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,084,500 times
The fact that they remove reviews makes them completely and utterly useless. High ratings are often simply indicative of a company that monitors their glassdoor page and has the negative votes removed. What a waste of cyberspace.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
The fact that they remove reviews makes them completely and utterly useless. High ratings are often simply indicative of a company that monitors their glassdoor page and has the negative votes removed. What a waste of cyberspace.
The majority of cyberspace is "useless."

Glassdoor is a commercial site. They will do what is in their commercial interests.

They did not start the site to help people. They use the reviews as just another product/service to meet their commercial goals. There is no benevolent intent.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 PM

867 posts, read 1,584,834 times
I think that someone in the company saw the review and requested that it be removed.

To be honest, I"m fine with that. I'm over that experience and my review was written when it was fresh in my mind. I was hurt over being lied to about being promised a job (I was a temp who was supposed to go permanent after 6 months) but also because the job was not what was originally presented to me. And the manager was very intrusive as to my personal life, salary that the temp agency paid me, among other things.

What worries me now is that everyone seems to be getting sued for writing negative reviews and I hope that doesn't happen to me. I did kind of rely on GD to make sure that they only approve reviews they thought were helpful.

Still, any thoughts?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,067,272 times

Quote:
Glassdoor verifies email addresses and screens content for accuracy, [Glassdoor spokesman] Dobroski said. Workplace and CEO comments can't only be negative, he added.
"About 15 to 20 per cent of the content that is submitted to Glassdoor is actually rejected because it either doesn't meet our community guidelines or it appears suspicious," he said.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times
Quote:
I think that someone in the company saw the review and requested that it be removed.

To be honest, I"m fine with that. I'm over that experience and my review was written when it was fresh in my mind. I was hurt over being lied to about being promised a job (I was a temp who was supposed to go permanent after 6 months) but also because the job was not what was originally presented to me. And the manager was very intrusive as to my personal life, salary that the temp agency paid me, among other things.

What worries me now is that everyone seems to be getting sued for writing negative reviews and I hope that doesn't happen to me. I did kind of rely on GD to make sure that they only approve reviews they thought were helpful.

Still, any thoughts?
Take reviews on GD with a grain of salt like you would anything else when researching companies online. People tend to complain online more than they would if they have an overall positive experience, whether it is customer service or working at a company.

The US is a very litigious society unfortunately and companies take their online reputation seriously as such things can hurt their business. I would guess GD removes certain negative reviews based on the number of complaints they receive. I guess since your employer had the review removed, it probably won't affect you. I would just forget about it and move on. GD to me is still useful and I have used it quite a bit when researching larger companies to work for.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,584,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Take reviews on GD with a grain of salt like you would anything else when researching companies online. People tend to complain online more than they would if they have an overall positive experience, whether it is customer service or working at a company.

The US is a very litigious society unfortunately and companies take their online reputation seriously as such things can hurt their business. I would guess GD removes certain negative reviews based on the number of complaints they receive. I guess since your employer had the review removed, it probably won't affect you. I would just forget about it and move on. GD to me is still useful and I have used it quite a bit when researching larger companies to work for.

I also find GD helpful. I like to check various new companies that I might consider applying to from time to time. I like to read reviews for previous employers as well, just get a sense of how the culture and if it's changed or remained the same. It's more curiousity than anything else.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Quote:

Still, any thoughts?
If your review was truthful, you most likely wouldn't lose a lawsuit because they couldn't prove you lied. Libel and slander lawsuits have to prove that what was said(or written) is untrue and it hurt the plaintiff financially. Don't sweat it.

I wrote a glassdoor review that was truthful and not really bad. It had some pros and cons that were very accurate. I checked a year or two later and my review was gone from glassdoor also.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 PM

95 posts, read 248,716 times
I think I may have found your answer. Here are the Glassdoor guidelines (Community Guidelines | Glassdoor). The review must be balanced (i.e., pros and cons). An ex-employee can't just post an entire rant about how awful the workplace conditions are. He/she must also mention the good things.

If you would, you could post your entire original review. Then we can determine if it was worthy of being removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search