U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,060,226 times

Advertisements

I started a position about a month ago, and it's not a good fit. Start ups with almost no support are not a good fit for someone whom has never sold the product.

So in typical fashion, as soon as I put this company done I get a couple of emails from recruiters.

This one appears stellar. Complete opposite, well established tech, loads of support, structure, good onboarding, etc.

So the recruiter says list the large deals you sold in OC, CA since this is the territory I would cover.

Can I create a separate section on my resume for names of companies I sold/what I sold that will impress this company. What would I call it?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM

928 posts, read 864,453 times
Under accomplishments

Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Under accomplishments
Interesting, never done that, just listed awards.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM

85 posts, read 131,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I started a position about a month ago, and it's not a good fit. Start ups with almost no support are not a good fit for someone whom has never sold the product.

So in typical fashion, as soon as I put this company done I get a couple of emails from recruiters.

This one appears stellar. Complete opposite, well established tech, loads of support, structure, good onboarding, etc.

So the recruiter says list the large deals you sold in OC, CA since this is the territory I would cover.

Can I create a separate section on my resume for names of companies I sold/what I sold that will impress this company. What would I call it?

TIA
Typically I list my accomplishments under the job I held, above what duties the jobs required. For example - Managed to land account X @ $/yr. Account had never been landed by anyone prior and was a major target, etc. Grew sales by 113% within, X months, considered good for the industry. Keep the list short and to the point, make sure to use bullets. HR and recruiters get off on formats like that for some reason. Make sure you don't lie, but feel free to embellish. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than "good".

And these kinds of resumes while effective, are very unforgiving. If you don't have a good track record to stand on, you may want to move out of sales. Sales positions aren't for everyone.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM

1,739 posts, read 6,101,609 times
"Key Account Management" sub-section under your job title/accomplishments for each position.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:40 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,119,052 times
Key Account Acquisitions under each employer - assuming you're looking at hunting roles, not farming ones.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM

All good suggestions, appreciated. My resume is chronological. I have been told HR and hiring managers strongly prefer chronological.

Here is the issue. My most impressive accounts closed were 10 year ago. Listing that chron is probably going to look bad, so long ago?

I have good accounts I have closed in the last 2 years, but none of them are close to the size of deals I would be working on at this company.

Basically, I have always been SMB to Enterprise, but this is Enterprise at F100/huge government scale, which I don't have, so the recruiter said list your biggest deals, which were 10 year ago, that's my dilemna.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderandprobablywiser View Post
And these kinds of resumes while effective, are very unforgiving. If you don't have a good track record to stand on, you may want to move out of sales. Sales positions aren't for everyone.
Thanks I have over 10 years, 2 as president's club, and many monthly awards that I can back up.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM

928 posts, read 864,453 times
Do the best you can to present your case in your resume but rememer the purpose of the resume is not to get you hired but to call you in for an interview. So list your big sales under an acomplishments section and spend time explaining later. My guess is they would like to know how you can leverage your current SMB experience and your enterprise but dated experience to succeed at the job.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Do the best you can to present your case in your resume but rememer the purpose of the resume is not to get you hired but to call you in for an interview. So list your big sales under an acomplishments section and spend time explaining later. My guess is they would like to know how you can leverage your current SMB experience and your enterprise but dated experience to succeed at the job.
Thanks I have current Enterprise, but everyone's def is diff. I am working 500 seat deals, but that's prob SMB to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search