U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,054,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
This board is full of postings from frustrated job hunters who hate how American businesses recruit, interview, test, select and finalize the hiring of staff. So many of you just HATE the process those idiots in HR have implemented and the time consuming online applications, testing, countless interviews, extensive background checks and other types of bureacracy.

Here is your chance to update the process! You are now a Project Manager of a government contractor. Within a month you have to recruit, interview and hire a wide variety of highly trained professionals in a number of career fields. HR is there to help, but if you think they are fools, you don't have to use them. There is 15 openings that need to be filled.

You can expect that you will get hundreds of resumes for every opening through online sources like Monster.com. Many of the resumes will come from applicants who are not qualified. But you will have about 20 well qualified applicants for each position. Your challenge is to determine which person is best.

How are you going to screen the hundreds of resumes that come in? Print them all out and spend 5 minutes reading all 300 of them? Or use a computer aided KEY WORD search? Will you do phone screens? How will you interview and test the applicants who come to your office? Determine who is best? Check their backgrounds? And finalize the hire?

How important will personality be in the selection process? Or will technical skills be the main criteria? Will you make small talk with the applicants to see if they fit with the personality of the team? Will you test them, and if so, how? How will you really know if someone who has the technical skills can really do the job under real world pressure? How will you know if the professional refrences are telling the truth?

Critics of the current process: Here is your chance to come up with a better plan. This hiring stuff is harder than you thought! GO!

You're forgetting one thing: networking. The issue of having 100's of resumes is avoidable and should be done as a last resort.

Looking for a Java programmer? Go to your local Java Programming group and see what people are doing. Many of these people are not easily found online (linkedin, facebook, google+) and aren't applying to jobs actively on job boards. Even if they are, they are probably getting spammed by your competition as well - so why would they pick your job? What you want to do is take an interest in your candidates and have a personal bond with them. You need people right away, and you can't go out and meet people? Guess what, you're too late. You should have started years ago to build a talent pipeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The trouble with that is once you involve a temp agency you become everyone's last choice for employment. Noone trusts temp-to-hire, the agency robs the workers blind, and noone currently employed will consider you. A probationary period without the temp agency would be better.
^^ This

Only way I would do temp to hire is if I was unemployed, had no money and it was the only option.

As we have seen in other threads, people have misconceived notions of the unemployed that they are desperate or will settle for what ever comes along or there's something wrong with them. Temp agencies take in these people. Do you see the conflict of interest here: we won't hire you but go through a temp agency and we will?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,312,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The trouble with that is once you involve a temp agency you become everyone's last choice for employment. Noone trusts temp-to-hire, the agency robs the workers blind, and noone currently employed will consider you. A probationary period without the temp agency would be better.

I know you hate temp agencies. But I 100% disagree with your position on this. You are far more employable having a job, even as a temp or contractor, than just being on unemployment. I've, a couple of times, chosen to work full time as a contractor for the same amount I would have gotten from UI and I was no doubt better off being employed while looking and not having a resume gap. It only helped me getting hired either by the company I contracted with or by other companies.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM

8,854 posts, read 13,356,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know you hate temp agencies. But I 100% disagree with your position on this. You are far more employable having a job, even as a temp or contractor, than just being on unemployment. I've, a couple of times, chosen to work full time as a contractor for the same amount I would have gotten from UI and I was no doubt better off being employed while looking and not having a resume gap.
That I agree with which is why I took that miserable job with a contract firm/agency but it doesn't change the fact the worker will only take it as a last resort and quit the moment someone offers them a direct job or get increasingly disengaged once it becomes clear temp-to-hire = temp-to-string-you-along-untill-the-end.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,312,786 times
Lots of good ideas but what is missing is how employers can evaluate SOFT SKILLS. In my experience as a manager, most employee troubles, including me when I was fired, had nothing to do with ones technical skills but instead, poor SOFT SKILLS.

To many hiring managers hire lousy employees because they assume that if the potential staff member works hard, has a great education and knows his stuff technically, he will be a good hire. Considering a good number of new employees fail in their jobs due to soft skills there has to be a better way to evaluate that in advance of making a hiring mistake.

The science behind Human Resources attempts to do just that but many technically orientated hiring managers and applicants, fight these new approaches.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 AM

8,854 posts, read 13,356,442 times
In the end there is no way to accurately predict human behavior. However, if both the managers and employees can behave like professionals there is no reason that anyone should not be able to do their jobs and be able to get a long. As someone else stated, a lot of employees and managers alike have never emotionally left high school and treat work as a social club and hiring as a popularity contest.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know you hate temp agencies. But I 100% disagree with your position on this. You are far more employable having a job, even as a temp or contractor, than just being on unemployment. I've, a couple of times, chosen to work full time as a contractor for the same amount I would have gotten from UI and I was no doubt better off being employed while looking and not having a resume gap. It only helped me getting hired either by the company I contracted with or by other companies.

You answer your own question. Most people I know would take it as a last resort - either you're unemployed or in another temp position.

I have been at my employer for the last 11 years. I would not quit to take a temp job with all the uncertainty. Even my "permanent" job is temporary, but at least I would get a severance package.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM

3,274 posts, read 4,787,272 times
Quote:
Lots of good ideas but what is missing is how employers can evaluate SOFT SKILLS. In my experience as a manager most people, including me when I was fired, it had nothing to do with ones technical skills but instead, SOFT SKILLS.

To many hiring managers hire lousy employees because they assume that if the potential staff member works hard, has a great education and knows his stuff technically, he will be a good hire. Considering a good number of new employees fail in their jobs due to soft skills there has to be a better way to evaluate that in advance of making a hiring mistake.

The science behind Human Resources attempts to do just that but many technically orientated hiring managers fight these new approaches.
Isn't that what the in person interviews are for? They are a chance for an employer to see you in person so they can evaluate your personality. If someone is cagy, rude, or just plain odd, it will probably show in an interview.

There is no good way to evaluate soft skills through the skills tests companies send out, in my experience. The only way to know if someone is strange or difficult to talk to in person is to talk to them in person and see.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,312,049 times
Quote:
Lots of good ideas but what is missing is how employers can evaluate SOFT SKILLS. In my experience as a manager, most employee troubles, including me when I was fired, had nothing to do with ones technical skills but instead, poor SOFT SKILLS.

This is what networking is for.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Lots of good ideas but what is missing is how employers can evaluate SOFT SKILLS. In my experience as a manager most people, including me when I was fired, it had nothing to do with ones technical skills but instead, SOFT SKILLS.

The science behind Human Resources attempts to do just that but many technically orientated hiring managers fight these new approaches.
Then that's a failure of HR and Hiring Managers to judge and develop soft skills in interviews.

Some of my closest friends I would NOT hire because of their soft skills, and they tend to rub people the wrong way.

I think people who complain on these threads generally WANT to do well and improve whatever skills it will take for them to get a job. How does this not count for SOMETHING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search