U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,536,765 times
Reputation: 778

Advertisements

Sounds like a bodyshop/recruiter has submitted someone's info to a client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM
 
334 posts, read 467,170 times
Reputation: 745
Let them pay. They treat their "best" candidates like that? Imagine how cheap to employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
 
Location: HI
84 posts, read 116,631 times
Reputation: 113
Either they are cheap or not serious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,304,853 times
Reputation: 1410
this is not that uncommon....this is San Diego. That means they have tons of people who want to work for them, just about whatever your field!

They may just not have the budget for a candidate from out of town.

In that case, it is not at all unusual (if you want the job and want to move) to take the cost of the interview and relocation upon yourself.

Im suprised at the attitudes here, yet not so much when I see the entitlement out there and the jobs numbers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I would never spend my own money to fly to an interview. If a company is not paying they are not really that into you. Suggest skype but I would absolutely not fly in at my own expense. That tells me as I said the company is sort of ho hum with you or they are incredibly cheap and you won't want to see what they offer you in the unlikely event they do make an offer.
Exactly. I would add that the recruiter's comments on the "perfect candidate" and "I liked what I heard on the phone" are canned responses.

Skype is an excellent idea, see if they agree to that.

But never fly at your own expense. What's next? They say they will hire you but you need to start in two weeks.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
Stress that you are tired of the weather in MN and are planning to move, whether to this job or another one. Indicate that you've already made up your mind and you are only looking at opportunities below some geographical marker. Make it seem that for you, it's a given that you will be moving; the only question is where.

I believe that you are the perfect candidate, based on the recruiter's comment. I disagree with ragnarkar.

I wouldn't bring up weather unless it comes in casual conversation by them. People know MN is cold and brutal for many months.

They want you there for a job, not lying on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,421,874 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
this is not that uncommon....this is San Diego. That means they have tons of people who want to work for them, just about whatever your field!

They may just not have the budget for a candidate from out of town.

In that case, it is not at all unusual (if you want the job and want to move) to take the cost of the interview and relocation upon yourself.

Im suprised at the attitudes here, yet not so much when I see the entitlement out there and the jobs numbers...
I'm in Silicon Valley and, no, it -is- unusual to ask the candidate to bear the cost of travel for an interview.
Relo, yes. Interview, no. If the company doesn't have the budget for a non-local candidate, then they shouldn't be looking outside of town.
I've also interviewed at companies base in LA and San Diego a few years back (both small-ish companies) and they paid for the travel cost. In fact, they both offered relo (in the form of a signing bonus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,304,853 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm in Silicon Valley and, no, it -is- unusual to ask the candidate to bear the cost of travel for an interview.
Relo, yes. Interview, no. If the company doesn't have the budget for a non-local candidate, then they shouldn't be looking outside of town.
I've also interviewed at companies base in LA and San Diego a few years back (both small-ish companies) and they paid for the travel cost. In fact, they both offered relo (in the form of a signing bonus).
it is NOT common in Silicon Valley.

It really depends on the agency, the level of the job and the budget! It doesn't sound like they were looking out of town, this person applied from out of town -- big difference.

This is just how it works in certain places, it really depends on the job, the budgets involved, if its public or private, profit or non-profit and how bad this person wants the job for their skill set or to be able to move.

This is not at all unusual for a less experienced person to take on some of the expense.

Even in my job, which is a great company, they flew me to an airport for an interview...but didn't give me any extra for rental car or to check out the town, hotel etc. I paid for that myself. They just needed to interview me in person and did so at the airport. I paid for the extra time there. I didn't have to have extra time there but I wanted it to see the area and do some house hunting.

I also applied to a university position when I was finishing my master's. I happened to be in Nevada so I could go to the inteview but they would not have flown me there. I was offered the position and ended up not taking it but at that point of my career and for a publicly funded position I understood they didn't have much extra to wine and dine me. I was the best candidate, but that doesn't mean they couldn't find a very good candidate that they could afford closer to where the position was.

People here are a bit delusional...

its all about what the company or agency needs, what they can afford vs. what a person wants/needs and can offer.

They don't NEED someone to move from Minnesota, it doesn't sound like an exectutive level position where they need to import someone...

but if she/he is willing to help take on some of the moving cost well then sure they would probably like to have the better person!

This is pretty common in places that are more non-profit or publicly funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,930,213 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm in Silicon Valley and, no, it -is- unusual to ask the candidate to bear the cost of travel for an interview.
Relo, yes. Interview, no. If the company doesn't have the budget for a non-local candidate, then they shouldn't be looking outside of town.
I've also interviewed at companies base in LA and San Diego a few years back (both small-ish companies) and they paid for the travel cost. In fact, they both offered relo (in the form of a signing bonus).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
it is NOT common in Silicon Valley.

It really depends on the agency, the level of the job and the budget! It doesn't sound like they were looking out of town, this person applied from out of town -- big difference.

This is just how it works in certain places, it really depends on the job, the budgets involved, if its public or private, profit or non-profit and how bad this person wants the job for their skill set or to be able to move.

This is not at all unusual for a less experienced person to take on some of the expense.
Like Jaypee, I'm in Silicon Valley, and in my experience it's pretty common for companies to pay for the travel costs for out-of-town candidates. (Usually preliminary interviews will be via phone or video chat and the final round will be in person).

Last edited by Wry_Martini; 02-11-2014 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: correct some formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,304,853 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Like Jaypee, I'm in Silicon Valley, and in my experience it's pretty common for companies to pay for the travel costs for out-of-town candidates. (Usually preliminary interviews will be via phone or video chat and the final round will be in person).
all depends on the position and what they are looking for! In many positions, in Silicon Valley they are looking for the best of the best in a niche or technical field.

This job in San Diego doesn't sound like the type of job that requires an import. For those, if the person wants it they have to work harder to make themselves the obvious choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
 
1,049 posts, read 2,523,196 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
I would then need to fly to San Diego at my cost....
This puts up red flags for me. Never pay your own way to an interview out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top