U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 PM

455 posts, read 821,327 times

Advertisements

I submitted an application which met all the minimum requirements and certificates. I have 20 years experience in the specific field. I do not have a problem with being denied a job based on a verbal interview or failing a test. This most recent job denied my app without even me taking a written test. Below is an excerpt from the job bulletin:

Applications must be complete and demonstrate that the minimum qualifications are met. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will remain candidates until a final offer is accepted by the candidate who most closely meets the requirements of the City. The City may conclude that none of the candidates, even those who meet the minimum qualifications, are appropriate for the position.

Can any HR reps shed some light on this situation? How do you determine who's appropriate before any testing? I have no employment gaps, all the required FEMA certificates, and work experience. This job was for a field enforcement officer in the Government sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM

11,133 posts, read 8,544,282 times
Was there a test? What were the minimum qualifications? You haven't provided enough info.

Maybe you didn't meet all of the requirements.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,791,269 times
Sounds like either a fake job (which is admittedly unusual for a government position), a "job" that may not currently exist because of funding issues, or a job that may have already been given to an internal candidate.

This nonsense happens all the time, sadly. I've been disqualified for jobs for reasons such as: no reason given at all, too old, was unemployed at the time, etc. Employers hold all the cards these days, and they can just make up nonsense if they wish.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM

It was a written test. Min qualifications:

Education equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of technical training, certification or college level course work in animal health care. Two years of experience in the communication and enforcement of animal services codes, ordinances, and regulations, and the humane care and handling of animals. Experience with a public agency is highly desirable. Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays, and on-call basis. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C or Class 3 California Driver’s License, and have a satisfactory driving record. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a certificate in P.C. 832 within one year of employment is required. Ability to obtain Euthanasia technical certification within one year of assignment.

I already have the 832 certificate. Anyway, just thought I would get some outside opinions. Basically, yes the overall job hiring process these days is ridiculous and takes 3 months to even get an interview.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM

2,285 posts, read 3,111,425 times
Sounds like one of two things happened:

Internal candidate

Job eliminated

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Nope. They did not eliminate the position. I would have to go with internal candidate. Working over ten years in
Government, I've seen dispatchers, clerical or even kennel attendants get hired as field humane officers. I had to get my emotions checked. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
It was a written test. Min qualifications:

Education equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of technical training, certification or college level course work in animal health care. Two years of experience in the communication and enforcement of animal services codes, ordinances, and regulations, and the humane care and handling of animals. Experience with a public agency is highly desirable. Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays, and on-call basis. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C or Class 3 California Driverís License, and have a satisfactory driving record. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a certificate in P.C. 832 within one year of employment is required. Ability to obtain Euthanasia technical certification within one year of assignment.

I already have the 832 certificate. Anyway, just thought I would get some outside opinions. Basically, yes the overall job hiring process these days is ridiculous and takes 3 months to even get an interview.
The requirements listed are open for interpretation.

"Education equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of technical training, certification or college level course work in animal health care. " They might not consider the technical training or degree
listed on your resume what they are looking for.

"Two years of experience in the communication and enforcement of animal services codes, ordinances, and regulations, and the humane care and handling of animals." They might only consider people with 2 years as an actual animal control officer in a large city.

"Possession of, or ability to obtain, a certificate in P.C. 832 within one year of employment is required. Ability to obtain Euthanasia technical certification within one year of assignment." For both of these, they may eliminate people without both of the certificates, because they have several candidates with it.

Especially with public agencies, they are trying to reduce the number of interviews, and they get a lot of applicants. When I screen applications and have 30-40 that meet the qualifications on paper, it would take more than a week of all day interviews to consider them all. I have to make decisions on who the best qualified are, among those qualified, and normally go with about 10-12 interviews at most.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Hemlock. Thanks. Yep, that one extra cert may make the difference even though I have 20 yrs exp in the field. Found out 150 people applied for this position. In my opinion that's low. I've seen 300 applicants for 1 position.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Sorry. I have 20 years exp in the field for a County agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or