U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 AM

488 posts, read 659,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
We all love to gripe about silly interview questions and I'm curious to know the strangest question everyone has ever faced.

The most bizarre one I ever had to deal with was something to the effect of "Do you believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?" I found out later that the interviewer liked to toss it out to see if candidates could recover from such a curve-ball; the answer itself wasn't very important. What was important was being unshaken by the strangeness.
I only hire smart people, if you were a light bulb what wattage would you be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,206,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No, I don't only hire men. Why would you think that? Women don't wear ties to their interviews... at least not the ones I participate in.

Attention to detail.
Perhaps you've too much attention to small, insignificant details & lack proper focus in interviewing. 'Which kind of knot is that?' being a valid q in your litany of q's is a scary sign... unless you work for and/or are hiring for Hugo Boss. So, then... you're a man/woman who chooses to weed out the male contingent via daft q's? An incorrect answer or one which doesn't please you would weed out a valid applicant? WHO asks such a q? Do you also ask how their shoes were made?

Attention to detail regarding valid, legal interviewing q's is in order, NJ. So many posts here of silly head trips & ego assuaging by interviewees is stunningly ridiculous. Most of you who've posted here sound as if you shouldn't have gotten your position in the first place & are only doing your company a grave disservice.

Attention to detail, indeed.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:23 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,287,058 times
I was once asked to describe my perfect office. She made sure to mention she meant a physical office - what would the floor look like, would there be any windows, what would be outside the window, what color would the walls be, etc. She wanted me to be VERY specific. My answer was wide plank, rough hewn dark wood floors with a cool colored grayish paint on the walls with large windows, looking out towards green mountains and trees, with soft ambient light and a dark wood desk with many cubby holes and secret hiding places. Apparently my vision wasn't good enough, because I didn't get the job. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever been asked, though.

Another weird one - not as bad as the one above, though - was what baseball team I rooted for. The person was a Yankees fan, and I like the A's, so you know it wasn't going to work out. The job would've been working at a research hospital, and had nothing to do with sports.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,327,057 times
"How do you make a peanut butter sandwich?" was the oddest question I'd ever heard. I was interviewing for a law library assistant position.

To which I responded, "How does one make a peanut butter sandwich, or how do I make a peanut butter sandwich?"

When they specifically said me, I told them, "I don't." They then followed up with, "How do you order a pizza?"

Funny thing is, they offered me the job. I assume it was some silly psychological/personality question.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,972,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Do you have children? Illegal I believe. She didn't wanna hire anyone "who's kids are sick all the time." Wow, central Florida 90's.
Sounds like central Alabama circa today. Amazing to me just how backwards things have remained here. And supposedly by young, modern thinkers. Shows who is still pulling the strings, particularly in financial services.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,928,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
"How do you make a peanut butter sandwich?" was the oddest question I'd ever heard. I was interviewing for a law library assistant position.

To which I responded, "How does one make a peanut butter sandwich, or how do I make a peanut butter sandwich?"

When they specifically said me, I told them, "I don't." They then followed up with, "How do you order a pizza?"

Funny thing is, they offered me the job. I assume it was some silly psychological/personality question.
I've seen that asked before for technical support/customer service jobs. They want to see if you can give very clear, idiot-proof directions. And what level of detail do you give?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,855,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
The question I found dumbest and most offensive was "What are you passionate about?" Gee, I'm passionate about having a job and an income so I can eat and pay my bills, otherwise where are you going with this?
And thats a perfectly fine answer-might not help you get the job, but probably wouldnt hurt as long as other questions showed you had some substance, but sometimes when interviewing we get surprises.

"Cthulu"-She collected Cthulu plushes and posters. excellent employee
"Spreading the word of Christ our savior" - uhmmmm no.

etc etc. Its actually a good question.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,327,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've seen that asked before for technical support/customer service jobs. They want to see if you can give very clear, idiot-proof directions. And what level of detail do you give?
Then the question needs to be phrased better. Clearly, I'm just too creative and independent a thinker for such a straightforward question.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM

50 posts, read 88,640 times
I was on an interview for a temp-to-hire position and met with the CEO. This was for an Executive Assistant position.

1. How many gas stations are in the Chicago area?
2. If you could be any utensil in a kitchen, what would it be and why?

Talk about stupid questions, especially for a secretarial position. Turned out this was not a company I would want to work for anyway. The CEO was a flake. He decided to hire a colleague's recommendation and she walked out after only three days in tears. They called me back and I met with the CEO again and he asked the same stupid questions again. The H/R woman told me I had the job as a temp-to-hire and that I would start the following Monday. Later that day, she called me and told me that the CEO again decided to bring on another colleague's recommendation. I told her not to call me again if that one doesn't work out. Told her it was the wackiest company I've ever dealt with and that I want nothing to do with them. Good grief!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

920 posts, read 1,731,370 times
I had a prospective employer ask me if I could be an animal, what animal would I be. I suppose I understand the "psychology" (well, ok, I thought it was beyond absurd, but that's another story) behind the question, but it really sort of threw me. This wasn't for any CEO-type job or anything- Admin. Asst. at the time. Who thinks up this type of thing, and what on earth for? Oh, I know....it's to find out what type of worker, etc. the person is, but I still think it's beyond ridiculous. Especially for that type of job.

And no, I didn't get the job....lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or