U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 AM

50 posts, read 62,992 times

Advertisements

One of my more recent interviews, after the interviewer wanted to emphasize how their culture centered on entertainment and fun:

-What is a wacky thing you have done in front of a crowd?
-If you had one day and unlimited resources, what would you do?

There was something else too that I forget. I generally don't do well with and don't like these "wacky" questions, but I guess the employer liked me, and I made it to the reference stage. I didn't get the position, but I don't think I wanted to work there anyway. I'm all for having a lighter side, but these "fun" and "crazy" cultures are not the best place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,532,687 times
About 6 months ago I applied to the Phoenix police department. My background investigation interview included such questions as; have you ever placed any foreign objects in your urethra?, have you ever placed, willingly or not, foreign objects in any cavity in your body? Yep, I won't sh** you, they asked these questions among more intimate questions I dare not say on this forum. Lol

Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,839,690 times
Wow, some of these interviewers obviously need a good psychiatrist!! Or, mule team of them.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,640,321 times
Can you start work tomorrow, I will put you in a hotel room...oh and can you ship your truck up here?

This was asked of me when I was on an interview in Seattle, I was living in Tampa at the time.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,204,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywriter110 View Post
-What is a wacky thing you have done in front of a crowd?
-If you had one day and unlimited resources, what would you do?
Dear lord. I've encountered many wacky q's. But, I've finally reached an age in which I'm not afraid of being rejected... there was a time when younger, that I'd jump through most hoops because I desperately needed employment. If asked off the wall q's now, I would counter with, 'I'm applying for xxx. I'm unsure why you 'd be asking such a q. Can you explain, please?' I'm sure they'd not explain & I wouldn't get the job, but I've had too many difficult & unpleasant work experiences because I was afraid to speak up in the face of such nonsense in interviews & less than humane treatment in employment. Not again for me. The more I read these kinds of posts, the more I dislike HR. I've gone through horrendous interviews of all sorts... sometimes people with the power to hire absolutely abuse said power. I've conducted interviews... I always went out of my way to make interviewees feel comfortable & hired the best candidate. Why is that so difficult today?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 62,992 times
The thing is, it wasn't even HR asking those questions. I was applying for a small company (and there are plenty of them in my desired field), so they didn't have an official HR person. This woman was to be my boss, I believe.

I have been at my present employer for almost four years. To this day, part of the reason why I liked them out of the gate is because they didn't spend the interview asking "What is your greatest weakness?" or "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker." They actually asked me questions about my experience and the job at hand, and I had to give a writing sample, which is commonplace for my field and I could submit something I had already done. I am only on the hunt now because working from home is getting boring for me and I don't feel like I can accomplish anything more in my job.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM

333 posts, read 326,431 times
I don't know if it is considered weird, but I've only dealt with it once. The question I was asked, it was one of those all afternoon interviews in which you meet with 20 people, "what do you do for fun?" I honestly don't know how to answer that, and it wasn't like I don't do anything outside of work, but I feel like it's a personal bias as if your activities don't match what others do they don't want you as you don't fit. I like to play some video games, so what if the guy interviewing you hates video games? There is a bias there. That's the problem is too many interviews and people use personal judgement and personality questions to cast people out instead of seeing if they are capable of the job.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM

417 posts, read 713,306 times
I was once on a phone interview for my first job after college and was asked something to the effect of "describe to me a current event happening in the finance sector." Immediately footage of "1133603: The People of the State of California v. Michael Joseph Jackson" popped into my head. Rather than describe that, I chose to hang up the phone.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM

532 posts, read 747,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredc View Post
about 6 months ago i applied to the phoenix police department. My background investigation interview included such questions as; have you ever placed any foreign objects in your urethra?, have you ever placed, willingly or not, foreign objects in any cavity in your body? Yep, i won't sh** you, they asked these questions among more intimate questions i dare not say on this forum. Lol
omg!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM

22,717 posts, read 16,821,737 times
I was once asked what has been my most embarrassing moment. Like I'm going to tell them.

I also got asked, when I lived in Seattle, and was very young, did I have a problem working with gays. That threw me off because I don't go in to work wondering who is gay and who isn't. I answered that I did not, but I was so shocked by the question, that it tumbled out, 'Huh? What? Gays? I don't have a problem with gays? Why would I have a problem with gays? Am I going to work with gays?' In my mind, it made sense to say that because I couldn't understand why they would ask that question. I simply did not think like that. I did find out, after I did not get the job, that the boss who was interviewing me was gay. Well, how the heck was I supposed to know that, for one, and two, what difference does it make if she's gay? I'm just looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or