U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,213,585 times

Advertisements

I was asked if I was passive-aggressive, and when I said no, proceeded to hear details about all the "passive-aggressive" employees in the office where I'd be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,227,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywriter110 View Post
The thing is, it wasn't even HR asking those questions. I was applying for a small company (and there are plenty of them in my desired field), so they didn't have an official HR person. This woman was to be my boss, I believe.
I see, Hockey. I was commenting more on my own HR experiences, as no matter which job I've applied for (unless it was for a creative position many years ago, in which I interviewed with the shop/company owner only), I've always had my 1st interview with HR... & I've never worked for a small company.

Quote:
I have been at my present employer for almost four years. To this day, part of the reason why I liked them out of the gate is because they didn't spend the interview asking "What is your greatest weakness?" or "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker." They actually asked me questions about my experience and the job at hand, and I had to give a writing sample, which is commonplace for my field and I could submit something I had already done. I am only on the hunt now because working from home is getting boring for me and I don't feel like I can accomplish anything more in my job.
Yes, I don't understand the cookie cutter q's, as I don't think they reveal much, imo. Do interviewers really get scary or inappropriate answers to the coworker conflict q? The one in which I need to prevent rolling my eyes is, 'Where do you see yourself in 5-yrs?' Um... on a beach with Geo Clooney & retired at an early age. Of course, doesn't everyone give a pat answer about gainfully contributing to the company, room for growth & expansion within the job, appreciating company security, doing a bang up job for work stability or some semblance of that?

I'd love to work from home. The older I get, the more I appreciate solitude, but I understand not feeling as if anything more can be accomplished. Good luck in your job search.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 PM

832 posts, read 1,186,015 times
1. If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?

I answered this one rather childishly and had no good reason for it. I just blurted out hedgehog because I had one and I absolutely loved him. Terrible. Terrible of me. I didn't get the job. But I don't think it was because of that. I think it was because I was going for a teacher's job with special needs kids and had absolutely no experience either in teaching or with special needs kids. Not even a related degree. How I got that interview, I'll never know. But they asked me to take another position in the same company and re-apply once I got some experience with special needs people. So I did. Then I took my current job about 8 months later. If I wasn't where I'm currently at, I'd have kept going for that teaching position until they got sick of seeing me. It didn't pay much, but the reward in doing that work, along with the fun in engaging in it, makes up for a lot. The co-workers sucked at that company, but the work itself was very rewarding. And unlimited overtime helped some too.

As an aside to people looking for work... Human Services is always hiring, albeit at a low wage. However, most of the agencies have unlimited overtime. The field is still mass hiring all over the country. Nurses aids/assistants/caregivers etc. Where I live, it's mostly illegal immigrants doing the work because it's just so readily available with unlimited overtime allowing you to "live". You're highly abused and paid low wages, but usually you have unlimited overtime which pays the bills, keeps the ramen coming and takes you out of that long term unemployed (UN-hireable) list. Just saying.

2. If you were a three word headline, what would you read?

My response: Hire me now?

Surprisingly, I did not get that job either. Shocker. I know.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 443,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL, almost forgot...we asked a odd question.

"If you were at a party and you had an enemy there what would they say about you if we asked?"

Then the same thing, but for a friend.

Turned out this was a more interesting question then we thought. One otherwise good candidate replied with "He's arrogant, and often wrong"....and when we asked about the friend "Oh the same thing"

LOL. Right! Off the list! But still was a weird question I thought at the time.
My enemy would say that I'm a perfectionist.
My best would say that I'm a team player with a go getter attitude.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 443,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post

I answered this one rather childishly and had no good reason for it. I just blurted out hedgehog because I had one and I absolutely loved him. Terrible. Terrible of me. I didn't get the job...
I'd have loved that as an answer and I'd have asked you about your hedgehog
But seriously what animal are you supposed to answer ?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM

400 posts, read 1,323,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I had to give this one some thought.

I think the most bizarre question I have been asked was "Did you like college and what do you think you learned there?"

The funny thing was I had been out of college for over 20 years...they were headhunting me for a senior level position so there was no question about my age or level of seniority.

My response was something along the lines of "From what I remember of it I enjoyed college a great deal."
unfortunately i still get asked about college and high school although im long gone from grad school lessen on the other two... i find it offensive

Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM

389 posts, read 570,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Can you start work tomorrow, I will put you in a hotel room...oh and can you ship your truck up here?

This was asked of me when I was on an interview in Seattle, I was living in Tampa at the time.
thirsty as f**k

Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM

389 posts, read 570,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post

I answered this one rather childishly and had no good reason for it. I just blurted out hedgehog because I had one and I absolutely loved him. Terrible. Terrible of me. I didn't get the job. But I don't think it was because of that. I think it was because I was going for a teacher's job with special needs kids and had absolutely no experience either in teaching or with special needs kids. Not even a related degree. How I got that interview, I'll never know. But they asked me to take another position in the same company and re-apply once I got some experience with special needs people. So I did. Then I took my current job about 8 months later. If I wasn't where I'm currently at, I'd have kept going for that teaching position until they got sick of seeing me. It didn't pay much, but the reward in doing that work, along with the fun in engaging in it, makes up for a lot. The co-workers sucked at that company, but the work itself was very rewarding. And unlimited overtime helped some too.

As an aside to people looking for work... Human Services is always hiring, albeit at a low wage. However, most of the agencies have unlimited overtime. The field is still mass hiring all over the country. Nurses aids/assistants/caregivers etc. Where I live, it's mostly illegal immigrants doing the work because it's just so readily available with unlimited overtime allowing you to "live". You're highly abused and paid low wages, but usually you have unlimited overtime which pays the bills, keeps the ramen coming and takes you out of that long term unemployed (UN-hireable) list. Just saying.

2. If you were a three word headline, what would you read?

My response: Hire me now?

Surprisingly, I did not get that job either. Shocker. I know.
Nah, probs since you went with hedgehog.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

832 posts, read 1,186,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
Nah, probs since you went with hedgehog.
I know... right?

The company isn't subject to state mandates. So I didn't have to have a state issued "teaching certificate". They base a lot of their hiring on how the person interacts with the students and evaluating whether or not my pre-stated lesson goals were achieved. Yes I had the traditional interview, but half of the selection process included actually teaching a class of students who were willing participants.

They could have hired me, but explaining that to the person who interviewed immediately before me who had special ed experience, but held a crappy lesson where they didn't take anything away from it goal wise, would be somewhat difficult.

The students voted me up.

Call me crazy, but I think if I had stuck it out and went back there in a year, I would have been able to thoroughly compete with internal candidates on all material points and would have had a fair shot at getting the job.

Damn hedgehog question...

Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,315,588 times
Where do you see yourself career wise in the next ten to fifteen years. (They could see I was in my 60s)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or