U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,925,400 times
Reputation: 4008

Advertisements

We all love to gripe about silly interview questions and I'm curious to know the strangest question everyone has ever faced.

The most bizarre one I ever had to deal with was something to the effect of "Do you believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?" I found out later that the interviewer liked to toss it out to see if candidates could recover from such a curve-ball; the answer itself wasn't very important. What was important was being unshaken by the strangeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,584 posts, read 15,050,467 times
Reputation: 12123
Give me 10 uses for pencils, other than for writing. Was asked this a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
 
646 posts, read 345,676 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Give me 10 uses for pencils, other than for writing. Was asked this a few years ago.
Did you make it to 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,405,522 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
We all love to gripe about silly interview questions and I'm curious to know the strangest question everyone has ever faced.

The most bizarre one I ever had to deal with was something to the effect of "Do you believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?" I found out later that the interviewer liked to toss it out to see if candidates could recover from such a curve-ball; the answer itself wasn't very important. What was important was being unshaken by the strangeness.

"I don't believe there's intelligence here on earth based on the question you're asking here in this room."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,405,522 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Give me 10 uses for pencils, other than for writing. Was asked this a few years ago.

Chopsticks
Darts
Lincoln Logs
Toothpicks
Lawn sprinkler markers
Pencil fights
Prison shiv
Dowels for IKEA furniture
Tightening tourniquets
Hairpins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,117 posts, read 1,269,568 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Chopsticks
Darts
Lincoln Logs
Toothpicks
Lawn sprinkler markers
Pencil fights
Prison shiv
Dowels for IKEA furniture
Tightening tourniquets
Hairpins
A magical prop for The Joker (a la Heath Ledger)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM
 
1,593 posts, read 1,828,819 times
Reputation: 3353
I had to give this one some thought.

I think the most bizarre question I have been asked was "Did you like college and what do you think you learned there?"

The funny thing was I had been out of college for over 20 years...they were headhunting me for a senior level position so there was no question about my age or level of seniority.

My response was something along the lines of "From what I remember of it I enjoyed college a great deal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)
 
8,689 posts, read 10,839,690 times
Reputation: 12738
Do you have children? Illegal I believe. She didn't wanna hire anyone "who's kids are sick all the time." Wow, central Florida 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,925,400 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I had to give this one some thought.

I think the most bizarre question I have been asked was "Did you like college and what do you think you learned there?"

The funny thing was I had been out of college for over 20 years...they were headhunting me for a senior level position so there was no question about my age or level of seniority.

My response was something along the lines of "From what I remember of it I enjoyed college a great deal."
Ok, that's a strange one to ask anyone who's been out of college longer than a year or two.

I was discussing this topic with coworkers earlier, and one swears that about 15 years ago she was asked "If you were a children's toy, what would you be?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Reputation: 12192
Name your top 5 favorite movies.

We then started throwing out quotes from Tommy Boy.

The one that, looking back, could have gotten me into trouble, although it is one of my favorite movies.. Blazing Saddles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top