U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM

307 posts, read 315,971 times

Advertisements

Post away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,924,700 times
With phone interview:

* if possible, stand up and even walk around a little, rather than sitting down. Your voice will sound stronger and more energized. This is a great way to compensate for the fact that your interviewer(s) won't be able to see your facial expressions or body language.

* make sure you've got a quiet place to take the phone call and won't have any disruptions. (I have a Siamese cat and she likes to chatter and participate in the conversation when I'm on the phone. Charming, if I'm talking to my mom, my best friend, or my boyfriend. Not so cute if it's a hiring manager -- unless he or she also has a position for a cat!

* in the past, I've printed off a large-font copy of my resume and CV and taped it to the wall at eye level, so I could easily refer to it if needed. I've also printed off (also large font) a few specific talking points - i.e., questions I wanted to ask the interviewers, professional accomplishments I hoped I'd have the chance to discuss, a few key words to remind me of incidents and experiences that would be good to use as answers for behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time you....")

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 AM

307 posts, read 315,971 times
thanks. Im looking at the home depot site to see what services theye offer in case they are asked in the interviews.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,655,359 times
What kind of role is it?

It is always great to think up examples where you exemplified good customer service (for any retail like role).

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM

370 posts, read 620,421 times
Where is a HR-DIR when you need one?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM

417 posts, read 713,010 times
More saving, More doing, the POWER of Home Depot. I just dropped $400 there on my half bath remodel and will be back to get the new toilet soon, nothing like doing it yourself. Behr paint kicks butt, ive done my entire last house in it and will be using it here too. If it were me id let em know I believe in the brand and the mission, down with Lowes!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM

597 posts, read 960,810 times
Know the history, number of stores etc. just incase they ask.

They are big on diversity and team work. If they ask what you will do if your dept manager asks you to do something and you don't understand, make sure you say you will ask them for clairification.

Also, stealing even includes time. So if you are wasting time, they will think of it as stealing.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
Some advice from someone who does telephone work:

Make sure your phone is fully charged, you don't want it beeping low battery in the middle of the conversation

YOU answer the phone, not your oh-so-cute 3-year old who is just learning the phone, or your snotty teen who screams "hey Ma....its for you"

ANSWER the damned phone, don't let it go to voice mail then call back, or pick it up in the middle of the recording

Be at your desk, in your house, not juggling a phone while driving, shopping, walking the dog, etc

Please, realize, background noises do go through the phone. Don't have the TV blaring, dog barking, cat whining, kids running in and out, mommy, I gotta go pee! If necessary, get a sitter or drop the kids off somewhere, a friend, relative, etc.

Don't be eating/drinking/belching/farting....and think that doesn't come through the phone

PLEASE.... don't use the toilet in the middle of the interview. Really....I've had many do this, and somehow don't think I hear it on the other end

Don't "hurry up" the interview---well, I've gotta run, pick up the kids, doctor appt, etc. For this call, nothing else matters, give it your full, undivided attention.

Use basic manners, and try to use correct grammer...what makes me grimmace is I don't got none, I seen that, they is...., etc, when I hear that, I think ignorant white trash, probably reek of cigarette smoke, missing half their teeth, BO, etc

Have your s**t together....don't be hunting for an "ink pen" while they listen to you scrounge through drawers, scream hey Mabel, fetch me an ink pen.....then, oh, wait, this pen don't work

Don't use slang, profanity, etc.

Well, at least that's my advice.....

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,466 times
Default Awfully darn good advice!!!

I wish they would make this a sticky.

I have experienced many of the same annoyances, but would never, ever have been able to recall all them as precisely as you have.

I predict your post is going to be of enormous help to a multitude of prospective phone interviewees! Best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Some advice from someone who does telephone work:

Make sure your phone is fully charged, you don't want it beeping low battery in the middle of the conversation

YOU answer the phone, not your oh-so-cute 3-year old who is just learning the phone, or your snotty teen who screams "hey Ma....its for you"

ANSWER the damned phone, don't let it go to voice mail then call back, or pick it up in the middle of the recording

Be at your desk, in your house, not juggling a phone while driving, shopping, walking the dog, etc

Please, realize, background noises do go through the phone. Don't have the TV blaring, dog barking, cat whining, kids running in and out, mommy, I gotta go pee! If necessary, get a sitter or drop the kids off somewhere, a friend, relative, etc.

Don't be eating/drinking/belching/farting....and think that doesn't come through the phone

PLEASE.... don't use the toilet in the middle of the interview. Really....I've had many do this, and somehow don't think I hear it on the other end

Don't "hurry up" the interview---well, I've gotta run, pick up the kids, doctor appt, etc. For this call, nothing else matters, give it your full, undivided attention.

Use basic manners, and try to use correct grammer...what makes me grimmace is I don't got none, I seen that, they is...., etc, when I hear that, I think ignorant white trash, probably reek of cigarette smoke, missing half their teeth, BO, etc

Have your s**t together....don't be hunting for an "ink pen" while they listen to you scrounge through drawers, scream hey Mabel, fetch me an ink pen.....then, oh, wait, this pen don't work

Don't use slang, profanity, etc.

Well, at least that's my advice.....

Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,013,634 times
Before I found my new position, I would always wake up early, since I am a night person, nice brisk cardio and some extra cup of joe.

I always prep and role play so I am good to go.

The slang one is a good one, and one I have to work at to this day, growing up with dude and chick and bro it's a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or