Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 PM

87 posts, read 144,771 times

Advertisements

I started yesterday and tmrw will be my second day. The bigger company is still 'dealing with things' but I think I got the job. So my problem is, after filling out all the HR papers, how do II exist from a company after 2-3 days working??

Also regarding the other job: I called the head manager and she told me they actually made a decision yesterday and that the supervisor would call me and give me "details". The supervisor called and said I'm a strong candidate and that they had a few minor internal things to handle before they would be able to move to the next step.

So: Big manager said they made a decision......supervisor is saying they have minor internal things to go through and that I'm a strong candidate. she also told me to 'hang tight'

I'm thinking I'm that candidate and they are doing a background check. But how long will that take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Don't quit your job until you have a firm offer. You don't yet; background checks can sometimes take one or more weeks to complete and most companies won't start one until the applicant has accepted an offer. You aren't there yet! Don't make any hasty decisions regarding the job you have.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Don't quit your job until you have a firm offer. You don't yet; background checks can sometimes take one or more weeks to complete and most companies won't start one until the applicant has accepted an offer. You aren't there yet! Don't make any hasty decisions regarding the job you have.
Just really unsettling knowing I might quit a job I just accepted. I also probably made them reject other good candidates

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
Just really unsettling knowing I might quit a job I just accepted. I also probably made them reject other good candidates
People do it all the time. I've done it with very late-hour notice. If the new opportunity is a better one, then you are right to consider it!

ADDED: Don't go around your job talking about the new opportunity either! Keep your mouth shut. Don't do anything till your background check and drug test (if required) are returned and accepted by the employer. I do not trust employers anymore and neither should you, especially those you don't NOW work for!

Last edited by myrc60; 02-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: little more

Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
People do it all the time. I've done it with very late-hour notice. If the new opportunity is a better one, then you are right to consider it!
ok, what about the whole 'internal stuff' from the other company? why can't they just tell me they are doing a background check?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM

my references might also be difficult to get a hold of.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
ok, what about the whole 'internal stuff' from the other company? why can't they just tell me they are doing a background check?
You have to consent to the background check. When they offer and you accept you will get papers to sign and those papers will get the background check started.

They're stalling.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
You have to consent to the background check. When they offer and you accept you will get papers to sign and those papers will get the background check started.

They're stalling.
I signed the consent with my job application.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I think you are trying to count your chickens before all your eggs have hatched.
You do not have a solid offer from the other company, you have "a decision has been made and some internal things need to be dealt with".

Personally I would stick with the new job you just started simply because the other company does not seem to know what everyone involved in the process is doing and I would not want to work for such an unorganized company.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you are trying to count your chickens before all your eggs have hatched.
You do not have a solid offer from the other company, you have "a decision has been made and some internal things need to be dealt with".

Personally I would stick with the new job you just started simply because the other company does not seem to know what everyone involved in the process is doing and I would not want to work for such an unorganized company.
the big manager said the group decided. I think the supervisor that's suppose to formally offer the position is not allowed to offer it unless the top candidate passes the background check. But that's why I had to accept this new job, I don't have any reason to be sure the other company accepted me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search