Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times

Advertisements

Coming from a sales background, I know there is a certain truth in numbers. For example, maybe it takes you 50 applications to get 4 interviews. Of those 4 interviews, one legitimate offer is made.

Are you tracking your numbers? How are they looking?

For me, 2014 has been tough. I need to count my numbers and go back to see what is working and what isn't working. I think the number one factor is that for every good job opportunity, there are way more applicants than usual...and way more people who are over-qualified who will accept less.

How are your efforts going so far in 2014?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,788,050 times
I've applied to about 10 jobs, I have had 7 contact me for at least a screening interview. I've had 3 in person interviews and I optimistically waiting to hear back from two of the in person interviews.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM

77 posts, read 133,342 times
Ok, I'll play. I have been looking for almost a year, about 9 months. Lost count of the number of applications, but for interviews the count is as follows:

12 interviews
4 second interviews
I had a second interview last week that I am waiting to hear from, but after that nothing is in the works.

Luckily, I am currently employed, just hate my job.

Salary range for the positions I am applying for is about $84K-$88K

Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM

50 posts, read 130,128 times
You guys are doing way better than me! I'm in the Executive Assistant field and have been searching for over a year. I've had about three interviews in that time. The EA field is tough since everyone thinks they can do the job and companies will get 900 resumes at a time! I'm probably getting lost in the shuffle.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
A lot of it is going to depend on how you are targeting your search, and how specialized your field and experience is. If you have a very specialized skillset, the number of potential jobs out there will be smaller, but the number of applicant will be fewer, too. So you might put out a lot fewer applications than someone else, but chances are your hit rate for interviews will be higher. Joe Blow who has no college degree and just wants any job so he can put food on the table might apply to 100 jobs, each of which has 200 applicants, and might have an interview rate of 2% with a 10% chance of getting the job from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search