Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Let me ask you this. Will it make a difference if I have a profile on LI but doesn't have anything other than my name and profession?

I really feel uncomfortable having my life out there for the world to judge. This is why I'm probably the last person in the world to not have a twitter and/or facebook account.
I wouldn't suggest having an incomplete profile. If you do just name and profession, you should put a photo and add interests, groups, organizations, maybe ask someone to do a recommendation of you. It all depends on the field of work you are in and if you want people to reach out to you with job opportunities. I totally get where you are coming from and share your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I think what the poster you quoted meant was that if you are older, you are disposable in a society where "youth, vibrancy, good looks" is King. Which is pretty much what we, as a society, are. I kind of doubt that all older people who go in for interviews are "crabby, whiny, refuse to stay in good shape and act young and vibrant". The interesting part about that, is those who "stay in good shape and act young and vibrant" are laughed at behind their backs (by the 20-somethings) for being OLD and trying to "stay in good shape and act young and vibrant"- staying in shape is one thing- acting young and vibrant when you are not in your 20s, well...it looks like what it is: desperation to fit in, to be "one of the guys/gals". Worse to me than those who "beg for respect" (?)

Respect these days seems to go more to people who are able to claw their way to the top, regardless of the (sometimes older) bodies that they have to climb over in order to get there (example: that little worm who "created" Facebook-with the "bodies" being the Winklevoss twins, who he out-and-out stole the idea from--or how about Bill Gates, and the whole "windows" business? Apple, anyone??). Respect should go to those who have experience and a good (work) track record, who are...well, respectable. And you know what? People canNOT buy character. You either have it, or you don't. And flame me all you want, it seems to be missing from a lot of people in society these days.

I don't know how old or young you are, and I don't really care. But your whole attitude toward the issue is somewhat disrespectful and thoughtless, seriously. Not all older people go in to interviews in a smarmy housedress with frizzy gray hair, squinting eyes, and house slippers. Not all of them demand respect simply because they are older, and like it or not, there are MANY younger generation people who don't have clue one about actual "respect", why one would give it or not give it to another. The situation is this: our economy is basically in the crapper, and older workers need to work just like the younger ones do- the state of the economy dictates it. And older people applying for jobs are discriminated against for one reason, and one reason only: they are older, and not the young 20-something type that most people equate with "go-getters", etc., who have a tendency a lot of times to leave a company in the lurch the minute something better comes along. Why? No loyalty....no true respect. More money. It's all about "Me", thinking.

Your remarks just really irritated me.
Informationally: I am old (55).

The reason older people are passed over in favor of younger people is simple. Younger people are generally better workers. It's reality. They usually have more energy. They look better. They smell better. They are easier to be around. They are funny and more entertaining. They have less of a sense of "entitlement". They have a better attitude. They are hungrier and willing to work harder and longer to advance. These are generalities of course, not always true, but very often true.

Now, if you are older, it is up to you as an individual to overcome this prevailing truth. You can't moan and whine and wish that people would "respect their elders". It's not going to happen. And really, it shouldn't happen.

An older worker can choose to take on the competition and blow away the younger people. There is some know-how and efficiency that is accumulated through years of observing what works well. So that is what an old worker must bring to the table. However, you can't show up and be OLD. Call it what you want, but if I hire you, I better see energy, talent and some joie de vivre, whatever your age. If I see you show up with some kind of negative, entitled, "union" mentality, you are out the door. I'd rather have a 25 year old that I can mold into something good.

An old worker who does not properly maintain himself to stay energetic and vibrant (I'll avoid the term young, but that's what young is, basically), should not expect to have much of a chance in the employment wars.

Employment is trading service for money. Good service is optimistic, energetic, and success-oriented. These are generally young traits. However, they don't have to be. An older person can exert some extra effort, get younger (effectively), and choose to compete, and do well.

But the bottom line should always be in sight. A job is not a right. A job is not owed to you. You have to go out and compete, and that doesn't go away just because you get old.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:41 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Your profile needs to be exhausting complete.

Employers find you by doing keyword searches.
Lets say there is an employer who needs someone exactly like you. With your skills and background and experience.

How the heck can they find you?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
At age 62 I have to agree with the poster below. In most cases the employees between 30 and 45 are at their peak. Younger than that I think they are too green and older than 45 they start to slow down and burn out.

But I am still working at getting another full time job and want to get back in the rat race. (I did get hired recently as a PART TIME College Instructor, which I am very happy about. Start in late March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

The reason older people are passed over in favor of younger people is simple. Younger people are generally better workers. It's reality. They usually have more energy. They look better. They smell better. They are easier to be around. They are funny and more entertaining. They have less of a sense of "entitlement". They have a better attitude. They are hungrier and willing to work harder and longer to advance. These are generalities of course, not always true, but very often true.

Now, if you are older, it is up to you as an individual to overcome this prevailing truth. You can't moan and whine and wish that people would "respect their elders". It's not going to happen. And really, it shouldn't happen.

An older worker can choose to take on the competition and blow away the younger people. There is some know-how and efficiency that is accumulated through years of observing what works well. So that is what an old worker must bring to the table. However, you can't show up and be OLD. Call it what you want, but if I hire you, I better see energy, talent and some joie de vivre, whatever your age. If I see you show up with some kind of negative, entitled, "union" mentality, you are out the door. I'd rather have a 25 year old that I can mold into something good.

An old worker who does not properly maintain himself to stay energetic and vibrant (I'll avoid the term young, but that's what young is, basically), should not expect to have much of a chance in the employment wars.

Employment is trading service for money. Good service is optimistic, energetic, and success-oriented. These are generally young traits. However, they don't have to be. An older person can exert some extra effort, get younger (effectively), and choose to compete, and do well.

But the bottom line should always be in sight. A job is not a right. A job is not owed to you. You have to go out and compete, and that doesn't go away just because you get old.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I question the value of LinkedIn, it seems like 'this years model'. Just another e-toy for techies to sign up for until the next fad comes along
Yeah, it's just another twist on the online job boards, but it will certainly stick around for a while, so it's worth using it.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

334 posts, read 585,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Are you joking?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Are you joking?
Haha, English isn't my first language. That's my excuse

Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Photo Shop is your friend.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Yes get one done professionally wearing an expensive looking crisp shirt, tie, jacket. They will Photoshop out the undesirable elements just like in magazines.

AND make sure you aren't wearing some old dated looking GLASSES. Either NONE or NEW modern ones. Sometimes they can actually make a person look better. Like hiding bags under the eye.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
From other threads you've posted, I feel like your job-hunting group facilitator/teacher overly emphasizes LinkedIn.

If you want to have a LinkedIn profile and want to display a photo, I recommend going to get a good haircut, using a grey-hiding rinse on your hair or coloring your hair is grey is an issue, and then using a professional photographer. While you can't hide your age, you can ensure you look as youthful, healthy, and vigorous as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search