Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM

174 posts, read 332,690 times

Advertisements

So I'm in the process of looking for another job right now...my last boss was really cool about references and didn't ask for any, but I assume that at least some of my interviews going forward will require them.

I'm still relatively new to the workforce so I don't really know much about references and it would be great to get some feedback here.

Let's just say that summer job I had before my most recent position things didn't end so well with my employer, mainly due to the fact that I was micro managed and pushed around by a 3rd party supervisor. He believed the supervisor that I was doing a terrible job and let me go 3 days before my position was supposed to end. I just ended up in a bad company, not because my skills are bad. My feedback has been great for every company I have worked for except that one.

Now, the question is am I allowed to choose which references to provide should my prospective employer require one? Or is it kind of pick and choose for them...if I were to single out that one job I probably have around 2-3 references handy, though one of them is a friend that I worked on a start up with.

I'm just worried they might pop up the question of asking for a reference from the job that didn't end so well...moreover the HR receptionist that I built a good working relationship with has since left the company anyway, so what's left is only the profit driven boss who's gonna badmouth me like crazy if they call him.

Thanks for reading, and hoping to get some feedback on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
If you skip over certain references, like a former boss, don't be surprised if an employer doesn't contact that boss anyway, just to find out what you're trying to hide. I did that once as a hiring manager. What I heard from the unliked boss was not enough of a dealbreaker to keep me from hiring the person, but I would have been less uncomfortable making the hire without knowing.

At my current employer, it's a rule in the employee handbook that no employee is permitted to give any employee or former employee a reference. It's grounds for dismissal. That would make me very uncomfortable making an internal hire. I'm glad I'm not in a position to do hiring right now!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We ask for 3 references that have known you for 5+ years, that are not related, and preferably former supervisors, co-workers or clients. If you gave us 3 friends that you have known a long time that would be fine, but it wouldn't help much if you came out pretty even with someone giving us 2 former supervisors and a client, who are all familiar with your work. Friends can be good as character references, but we'd like to also get an idea about your work ethic, attendance, creativity, teamwork and other factors that people can't really speak about reliably without working with you. When I got the position
I'm in now, I gave a former co-worker and CEO from a previous employer
in another state 16 years before. The co-worker was still working there, the CEO was now a local CEO. I contacted both to ask their permission and their calls with the HR person lasted 30 & 45 minutes.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We ask for 3 references that have known you for 5+ years, that are not related, and preferably former supervisors, co-workers or clients. If you gave us 3 friends that you have known a long time that would be fine, but it wouldn't help much if you came out pretty even with someone giving us 2 former supervisors and a client, who are all familiar with your work. Friends can be good as character references, but we'd like to also get an idea about your work ethic, attendance, creativity, teamwork and other factors that people can't really speak about reliably without working with you.
Now here's the flipside. Unless a college graduate worked in the same job, same location since high school and had he same boss and same staff, it is unlikely that they would have the three professional references you look for. Let's remember not everyone is someone that have been in the job force to have those kind of long lasting relationships. I'm sure coaches, professors, scoutmasters and pastors aren't held in the same reverence as the supervisors, co-workers, subordinates and clients.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you skip over certain references, like a former boss, don't be surprised if an employer doesn't contact that boss anyway, just to find out what you're trying to hide. I did that once as a hiring manager. What I heard from the unliked boss was not enough of a dealbreaker to keep me from hiring the person, but I would have been less uncomfortable making the hire without knowing.

At my current employer, it's a rule in the employee handbook that no employee is permitted to give any employee or former employee a reference. It's grounds for dismissal. That would make me very uncomfortable making an internal hire. I'm glad I'm not in a position to do hiring right now!
sigh. maybe it would better if i took out that job then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We ask for 3 references that have known you for 5+ years, that are not related, and preferably former supervisors, co-workers or clients. If you gave us 3 friends that you have known a long time that would be fine, but it wouldn't help much if you came out pretty even with someone giving us 2 former supervisors and a client, who are all familiar with your work. Friends can be good as character references, but we'd like to also get an idea about your work ethic, attendance, creativity, teamwork and other factors that people can't really speak about reliably without working with you. When I got the position
I'm in now, I gave a former co-worker and CEO from a previous employer
in another state 16 years before. The co-worker was still working there, the CEO was now a local CEO. I contacted both to ask their permission and their calls with the HR person lasted 30 & 45 minutes.
I am still in my early years of the workforce...I haven't even known some of my friends for 5 years yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Now here's the flipside. Unless a college graduate worked in the same job, same location since high school and had he same boss and same staff, it is unlikely that they would have the three professional references you look for. Let's remember not everyone is someone that have been in the job force to have those kind of long lasting relationships. I'm sure coaches, professors, scoutmasters and pastors aren't held in the same reverence as the supervisors, co-workers, subordinates and clients.
Spot on

----------------------

Would like to sincerely thank those of you who have given your input, it's valuable to me. If there's anyone who has any experience with this or further insight, please do chime in. Thanks

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
So I'm in the process of looking for another job right now...my last boss was really cool about references and didn't ask for any, but I assume that at least some of my interviews going forward will require them.

I'm still relatively new to the workforce so I don't really know much about references and it would be great to get some feedback here.

Let's just say that summer job I had before my most recent position things didn't end so well with my employer, mainly due to the fact that I was micro managed and pushed around by a 3rd party supervisor. He believed the supervisor that I was doing a terrible job and let me go 3 days before my position was supposed to end. I just ended up in a bad company, not because my skills are bad. My feedback has been great for every company I have worked for except that one.

Now, the question is am I allowed to choose which references to provide should my prospective employer require one? Or is it kind of pick and choose for them...if I were to single out that one job I probably have around 2-3 references handy, though one of them is a friend that I worked on a start up with.

I'm just worried they might pop up the question of asking for a reference from the job that didn't end so well...moreover the HR receptionist that I built a good working relationship with has since left the company anyway, so what's left is only the profit driven boss who's gonna badmouth me like crazy if they call him.

Thanks for reading, and hoping to get some feedback on this.

No pick and choose. You provide the references that you want to provide...that's it. There is no rule that you have to provide a reference from every single job you had....i only provide 3-4 references...two bosses and two co-workers....after having had seven positions in 20 yrs or so. What they see is what they get.

Also, i've been hearing from people that are reluctant to use their current boss as reference even though they are doing a great job. A couple friends for example feel that their bosses want to keep them there forever and really hope they don't move to another position within the company or leave. Thus, my friends are afraid their bosses might say something negative to a prospective employer to prevent them from leaving. My friends believe the jobs are basically a dead end and no career growth. Anyone feel this also?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
I wouldn't use my current boss as a reference either. You could always turn around and get fired. I have two former bosses on as references. One was my old high teacher who become a principal where I subbed on and off. The other is the principal at the school where I was for a year subbing. My last reference is my student teaching supervisor. I always tell the director/principal they can call all of my former employers.

My only peeve with references is every job I've ever gotten didn't bother to call them.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
No pick and choose. You provide the references that you want to provide...that's it. There is no rule that you have to provide a reference from every single job you had....i only provide 3-4 references...two bosses and two co-workers....after having had seven positions in 20 yrs or so. What they see is what they get.
thanks, I feel much better after seeing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I wouldn't use my current boss as a reference either. You could always turn around and get fired. I have two former bosses on as references. One was my old high teacher who become a principal where I subbed on and off. The other is the principal at the school where I was for a year subbing. My last reference is my student teaching supervisor. I always tell the director/principal they can call all of my former employers.

My only peeve with references is every job I've ever gotten didn't bother to call them.
yeah, i think it depends on the hiring manager. some don't really care and some really like to get down to the very tiny details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search