Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

I worked in HR for a weird company a few years back. One department required people to come in that the time slot they gave me. They refused to interview anyone outside of this one hour. I had to call the applicants and attempt to get someone scheduled for the next day at this one time. If the applicants couldn't interview at that time, then I was told to go on to the next person. Guess how many people were interviewed under this policy. ZERO.

Guess how high employee turn over was in that department. Let's just say there were always empty desks and the department was never full. The department head was a complete ass. On a good day he was a jerk. I had so many complaints about him, it wasn't funny. And I couldn't do anything about it because he was a VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

I missed this call and didn't bother calling back. Total lack of respect IMO
I'd say you have your answer right there in the middle of your first post.
In the end, you saved the company time in dealing with you.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

As for 6 weeks before no contact, don't ever apply for a government job.
So true. As to the op yes I've delt with that junk and I have went in and I also said not today. Never had the "ill get back in touch with you"....yet. Even if I don't remember what I applied for I figure it was worth it at the time to apply so why not. Also figure if they saw my résumé and bothered to call me then they can wait as well. If not no big deal. After all everyone looking for a job is just sitting home collecting a check from the government right?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
In the end, you saved the company time in dealing with you.

Note to any potential employers reading this... do not inconvenience the OP. You won't get a call back.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
If work is the only thing I have going on in my life, I'd kill myself. I don't want just any job so yea, I am complaining.

I have 4 interviews this week. Just because one is unemployed doesn't mean they need to accept any possible job out there.
Please report back and tell us how your 4 interviews went.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Note to any potential employers reading this... do not inconvenience the OP. You won't get a call back.
I've been some wise financial decisions so I can afford being picky. I've used this down to get a license helpful for my industry and took a really helpful seminar regarding building communication skills and some other things. The licensing class was 8 days long and the seminar was 4. I'll be able to get a different type of certification once I do some more studying in a month or so.

I have two interviews tomorrow and round trip, I'll be driving about 300 miles. I'm looking for a good job in just about any spot in Southern California. I'm interviewing in three different countries this week.

This company who did the same day crap isn't local, solid 150 mile drive. And I couldn't go the next day. I told them I was free the following week, all week. They didn't call me back that week.

I now have two interviews next week as well. They didn't just call me, "hey, come now or don't get the job!"

The fact so many of you think I'm being lazy is your baggage. I take the same day interview has a sign of disorganization. Additionally, waiting nearly two weeks then do it again is disrespectful.

And yea, I know government jobs take forever...that's like telling me ice is cold. Thanks for that.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Please report back and tell us how your 4 interviews went.
Yea for sure. Had a in-person one, the interviewer called in sick but they decided to not cancel because they knew I wasn't local. I did great with that interview. I should get a call tomorrow if they want me to come back for a 2nd interview to meet the important people. I'll be shocked if I don't...probably the best interview I've ever had.

Had a phone interview yesterday. Thought it went awful, only 13 mins long. She ended up calling me earlier today and I have an in person interview on Monday. I was pretty surprised.

Meeting the regional VP for a different job tomorrow at a coffee spot. From what the HR lady told me, he's a real big wig in the company so I'm pumped for that. Never had a interview in such a location.

The afternoon one, not as excited for but I want to keep my options open.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I have two interviews tomorrow and round trip, I'll be driving about 300 miles. I'm looking for a good job in just about any spot in Southern California. I'm interviewing in three different countries this week.
As long as they have a gym nearby you'll be good...

Quote:
The fact so many of you think I'm being lazy is your baggage. I take the same day interview has a sign of disorganization. Additionally, waiting nearly two weeks then do it again is disrespectful.
Pot meet kettle?

So, I got fired today!

You've got some nerve... I'll give you that.

Let us know which employers are lucky enough to get an interview confirmation call back from you.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Same day interview requests might not be a sign of disrespect, more likely a sign of disorganization. Could mean they have crazy turnover and a lot of work, or they're run by amateurs, or just possibly they do it on purpose to see how eager you are for a job.

I wouldn't take it too personally, but I'd keep this behavior in mind if a job offer is in the works but you have other interviews--or enough cash to take your time and look for the best fit. Could be that you dodged a bullet. Not every company and organization is a good fit. Beggars can't be choosers, but if you can afford to be a little bit choosy, it might be better in the long run.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Same day interview requests might not be a sign of disrespect, more likely a sign of disorganization. Could mean they have crazy turnover and a lot of work, or they're run by amateurs, or just possibly they do it on purpose to see how eager you are for a job.
Can also be a sign of a busy shop with a lot of work. The place that called me on 2/24 requested a same day interview... which I accepted... and was offered the job.

I specifically asked about the employee that previously held the position and was told he was promoted and they are extremely busy and needed a replacement ASAP. They are working 6 days a week which translates to 20 hours of OT per week or more.

I like overtime... it's bonus money as far as I am concerned. As said in my previous post... it depends on how bad you want to work. I could continue to sit on my ass drawing $570 a week unemployment or I could accept this job taking home $1200 per week or more...

So I accepted the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search