Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 AM

8 posts, read 26,804 times

Advertisements

A little of my situation. I interviewed with a company, rocked both interviews and was given a verbal offer about a week ago. He went over pay comp plan and benefits. He told me not to quit my job until the background check is complete. After about a week going by of when the formal offer was to be extended I began to feel a little nervous. The recruiter told me to relax as I am their guy and it will take some time to complete the background check. Yesterday l got a call from the recruiter informing me that my verbal offer was recalled because at the last minute an internal candidate threw their name in the hat and was extended the formal offer. Never in my life have I heard of something happening like this. I have worked with some large companies and have seen interanl candidates try to throw their name in the hat for a position at the last minute but were denied as they were down to their final 2-3 candidates with out any offer being extended. In advice on what to do here. Although I haven't quit my old job, mentally I have checked out and I am devastated and feeling a little depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Happens all the time and most of the time it is done just because the internal person can do it.
They purposely wait until the very last moment to apply for that position.
In my opinion it is a control thing but I could be wrong.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Not much you can do. Move on or don't. Those seem to be your two choices.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
I had a similar situation when, at the time the President of the institution was supposed to have me sign the contract, I found out he had given the position to his nephew (no experience and 23 years old).

Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Ask to be considered for the position the internal candidate just vacated.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ask to be considered for the position the internal candidate just vacated.
Nice one!

Honestly I would do exactly that, indicate how disappointed you are and what a great company they are, blah, blah blah...even if it doesn't work it may cause your resume to float at the top for the next 6 months.

and it costs you nothing...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Realistically, you have to mentally check back in and look for another job in the meantime.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 83,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast11 View Post
Although I haven't quit my old job, mentally I have checked out and I am devastated and feeling a little depressed.
I know how you feel. I have had this happen to me before. I went to three job interviews, was offered the job, and at the last minute they pulled out of the final paperwork. This was at a restaurant when I used to wait tables. Who got the job? A young woman with good looks and some work done. Usually in the service industry they'll take that over and average looking man anyday. That's just how it goes.

I remember feeling really depressed at the time to. My ego was really bruised . . . but that's one of the things we have to remember here. It's YOUR ego, and only you can control how you'll bounce back from this.

Two biggest things to remember.

This is not your first, and will not be your last job offer. Looking back on my situation . . . I was 19 years old . . . and never thought I would end up making a salary of almost 100k a year later in life. Who knows, maybe that girl is still waiting tables. Maybe she never landed that acting gig. Oh well. Life goes on. 5 years from now. This offer will probably mean almost nothing to you (that is, if you keep moving forward in your life).

Second thing to remember, is what you already have. You're ahead of the game. You have a job. I'm assuming you have a home . . . a roof . . . I'm assuming you have food and warmth. Shelter. You have not LOST anything. Although right now it feels like you have.

Now. I went through a situation recently (that I posted about here) where I was feeling really down on myself too. I was focusing on the one negative of the situation, but I took the time to chill out. Take a nap. And come back to my senses. This sounds REALLY corny, but I actually took a pen to paper and wrote a list of the things that I'm happy about, and the positives of what I considered to be a negative situation.

Chill out, and maybe write your own list. What are the positives of this job offer being denied to you? It may not be apparent now, but in the future I think it will be. One door closes . . . . 2 more open.

Best of luck and feel free to be in a funk for a while, but DONT STAY THERE!

much love

Last edited by Lsquallhart; 03-06-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
move on.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Lsquallhart, very good post and something I need to keep in mind, even at 70 years old...<s> There are many good posts on this thread and I hope the OP takes heart..this too shall pass....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search