Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times

Advertisements

Just had another one yesterday - I hate certain recruiting companies and here's why.

1) The recruiting company calls me up telling me about a position "in the area" for a manufacturing engineer. They refuse to tell me the location, the company's name, or what exactly the job even involves since, if they told me, I could apply to it on my own. The job description only became slightly more clear after I answered a few questions, and it really seemed like they were just creating the job description as we went along to match whatever I said.

2) They then waste hours of my time across 3 phone calls going over my background, trying to ferret out contacts that they can add to their database, and trying to get hiring manager names at former employers so they can no doubt add them to their database as well. The whole thing felt like I was the one providing them a service, not the other way around.

3) When I asked about the pay of this mystery job, they asked what I'd be happy with; I answered that question and they then assured me, "Oh, I'm sure it'll pay about that much." Right... it's sort of like asking somebody how much they can afford for a "mystery car" and then saying that it'll cost that much...

4) Then, they wanted me to toss aside all other job opportunities I'm working on in favor of this one... while still refusing to tell me the company's name, location, and industry as well as the actual job details. They wanted me to "commit" to their process and this job without giving me the needed info... nutty!

I was polite with them since I have had several other recent interviews that went well and were for jobs with known companies with clearly defined job descriptions, so we parted ways on good terms, but deep down I wanted to call them out on their BS.

Was there even a job? I have no idea - the whole thing seems more like they just wanted to grill me for contacts to add to their database. Based upon what info I had, the job description does not match anything I've seen advertised, which means the company either only goes through staffing agencies (which is odd) or the job doesn't exist. And even if there was a job, who in their right mind would agree to toss aside all other opportunities just for the *chance* to interview for a mystery job at an unknown company in an unknown location with undefined job responsibilities? It wasn't as if they were offering me a job - they just wanted absolute commitment to their game without giving me any information to work with. It was insane... and that's why I hate certain recruiting companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
How about showing the actual regulation from the government? Or is that too hard to find? Hard to find because it does not exist.

Here, straight from the EEOC: EEOC Informal Discussion Letter

I do not know why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

That entire blog is incorrect, I have no idea why you would even get legal info from a blog, why not just show us all the actual regulation instead of a blog?

From another poster claiming it is illegal: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Show me where it is illegal.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Lately, if I've had a job interview, once I establish what that company is about, I am very direct with answers. No more glad-handing. The place I work now is very direct and to the point, and I appreciate that. But i've had interviews in the past where I was the one ending it, because it was obviously going no where. I think they got the point.

Some people just aren't good at face-to-face interaction, and sadly, that is a lot of who works in such sensitive roles these days. It feels like hand to hand combat sometimes.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I read some of the thread about rude interviewers. Now here is a question relating to the reverse: rudeness to interviewers.

I'm the type of person that likes--well, actually loves--striking back when I get mistreated, but because of practical reasons (eg, not losing a job, protecting reputation, not being sent to prison) I've held back in most situations of hostility wrongfully brought upon me by others.

I recently had a phone interview that I was very happy to have, but the interviewer seemed to have the personality of a lump of coal and sounded as if she was reading from a teleprompter. I was very happy answering her questions and to anyone with a pulse I would appear passionate about my field. I actually felt like saying, "It appears you're going through the motions. I'm sorry to have bothered you. Take care."

Anyone ever acted snobby or rude to an interviewer? I've had many be rude to me, but never returned in kind.

(Ready for drive-by lines such as "Quit complaining.", "Maybe she didn't like you.", "You sound angry.", and so on. Bring it on. )
I like it OP. Someone who sounds like they have had enough and is now willing to fight back. If more were like this, perhaps we wouldn't be constantly walked on by the corporate world? I am astonished by the lack of self-esteem and sheepish behavior many have and will do anything and everything not to rock the boat and then chastise anyone who dares to stick up for themselves. Some have even suggested that you have a problem. There is nothing wrong in wanting to strike back.

People have to learn the human nature of employer/employee relationships. If an employer knows they treat you like a rug, they will. It's all about power and control. Some just see if they can exert their power and control earlier than others. Your response is critical and needs to be strong. So what if you just want the job? I know many just say to stay quiet and play the game. If they behave like this at the beginning, expect much worse when you begin your job. People respect those who stand up for themselves and don't respect weak-minded people.

I once ended a good cop/bad cop stress interview abruptly. I was interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position earlier on in my career. One interviewer was the good cop and was very polite and professional and the second was the bad cop and acting like a real insulting jerk.

I stopped the jerk mid-sentence and told him that we were done. I told him that if this is "hello", I would hate to see how their company treated their workers down the road. I also told him that if he wanted to cut the crap and actually ask me relevant questions about how my experience and skills could help their company increase sales in a professional manner, I would gladly answer. He looked at me as if I had just hit him between the eyes. I gave him 10 seconds of silence to say something while looking him in the eyes and then got up and left.

I'll never forget it and have never been regretful.

Last edited by UEHelp; 03-11-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I once traveled to an interview in another state, at my own expense since it was for a non-profit and I really wanted the job.

I felt like she slapped me. Luckily, I had plenty of time to regroup because a fight immediately broke out in the audience. Several people started yelling at the chairman about how she could be so rude to me when I was being so generous to them. So I gathered up my things, turned to the audience and thanked them sincerely for their attention and good questions. I wished their organization much success and good luck. I then turned to the chairman and said, "As for you, I feel you brought me here under false pretenses. I'm very insulted and I think you represent your group very poorly. I have no intention of leaving my presentation behind because you've already stolen enough from me today."
We had a word for that in motorcycle racing (amateur, but still very intense, high-speed, and dangerous): those who "closed the door" on other racers, i.e. moved their vehicle in our intended path, for their own purposes, with no regard for the physical safety of other. That word applies here:

Moderator cut: snip No more, no less.

Good for you. As a fellow professional, Would like to think I'd have paused, too, then regrouped and said essentially exactly what you did, in front of the audience. With grace. My Irish temper may have colored things a bit darkly for me, however.

That executive's actions in front of you, and others, were arrogant, despicable, and a "CLM". An acronym a bit dated, but still appropriate. I cannot imagine what she was thinking.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 03-12-2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language for the forum (though I can understand the sentiment)

Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
I walked out of an interview once when the man doing the interviewing offered me the job at an obscenely low rate of pay. I stated what I had to have in terms of compensation, and the interviewer replied that with my looks and intelligence, I'd be married to an executive in no time. He was just offering me access to those executives. I gathered my things, told him that I was not interested in the position any longer and left. I should have sued.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I walked out of an interview once when the man doing the interviewing offered me the job at an obscenely low rate of pay. I stated what I had to have in terms of compensation, and the interviewer replied that with my looks and intelligence, I'd be married to an executive in no time. He was just offering me access to those executives. I gathered my things, told him that I was not interested in the position any longer and left. I should have sued.
The problem is and always will be, proving that he said that. What a jerk.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
I've never been rude to an interviewer, but I wish that I had been. I have accepted positions where there was an edge of rudeness during the interview, but I remained professional. I gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed that the interviewer was having an awkward moment. After accepting the job, that edge of rudeness was no longer subtle. Chances are that if there is rudeness during the interview, there will be more rudeness in the job and it will be a short time before looking for another job ... but now with the unfortunate situation of having a "bad fit" in the resume.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There were three times in my life that I was rude during an interview and I can honestly say that I did not regret it.

I was interviewing for a position as a management trainee for a restaurant chain. The interviewer asked me if I had a vehicle. As my parents had five cars, I answered that yes, I had a car. Then he asked me if it was titled in my name. As I am a "Jr.", I could have answered yes. However, I was honest and answered no. He told me that her would not hire me until I had one in my name. I told him that I was not buying a car until I had a firm job offer. He kept on this topic for five MORE minutes. After five minutes, I stood up and said, "If you treat your interviewees like s*** before you hire them, how much worse will it be AFTER I am hired." I walked out

Second, after I had a firm offer with another company, I flew across the country and received a job offer - 25% off what I was told in the 1st interview. I stood up, shook the district managers hand, and thanked him for his time. I told him that I had a better offer. He relented and I worked for him for ten years.

Third, I was interviewing with a certain big accounting firm that has since been dissolved. During my interview, the guy took a couple calls during my 30 minute interview. On the third, I got up and walked out.

You have to keep your dignity.
No reasonable person would disagree with you. The first example is comical, but unfortunate. If you can make it to work in the morning, that is all that should matter.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I like it OP. Someone who sounds like they have had enough and is now willing to fight back. If more were like this, perhaps we wouldn't be constantly walked on by the corporate world? I am astonished by the lack of self-esteem and sheepish behavior many have and will do anything and everything not to rock the boat and then chastise anyone who dares to stick up for themselves. Some have even suggested that you have a problem. There is nothing wrong in wanting to strike back.

People have to learn the human nature of employer/employee relationships. If an employer knows they treat you like a rug, they will. It's all about power and control. Some just see if they can exert their power and control earlier than others. Your response is critical and needs to be strong. So what if you just want the job? I know many just say to stay quiet and play the game. If they behave like this at the beginning, expect much worse when you begin your job. People respect those who stand up for themselves and don't respect weak-minded people.

I once ended a good cop/bad cop stress interview abruptly. I was interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position earlier on in my career. One interviewer was the good cop and was very polite and professional and the second was the bad cop and acting like a real insulting jerk.

I stopped the jerk mid-sentence and told him that we were done. I told him that if this is "hello", I would hate to see how their company treated their workers down the road. I also told him that if he wanted to cut the crap and actually ask me relevant questions about how my experience and skills could help their company increase sales in a professional manner, I would gladly answer. He looked at me as if I had just hit him between the eyes. I gave him 10 seconds of silence to say something while looking him in the eyes and then got up and left.

I'll never forget it and have never been regretful.
Thanks for this. You're right, if one doesn't set boundaries to start, it is likely they will encounter further problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search