Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM

821 posts, read 1,096,124 times

Advertisements

I read some of the thread about rude interviewers. Now here is a question relating to the reverse: rudeness to interviewers.

I'm the type of person that likes--well, actually loves--striking back when I get mistreated, but because of practical reasons (eg, not losing a job, protecting reputation, not being sent to prison) I've held back in most situations of hostility wrongfully brought upon me by others.

I recently had a phone interview that I was very happy to have, but the interviewer seemed to have the personality of a lump of coal and sounded as if she was reading from a teleprompter. I was very happy answering her questions and to anyone with a pulse I would appear passionate about my field. I actually felt like saying, "It appears you're going through the motions. I'm sorry to have bothered you. Take care."

Anyone ever acted snobby or rude to an interviewer? I've had many be rude to me, but never returned in kind.

(Ready for drive-by lines such as "Quit complaining.", "Maybe she didn't like you.", "You sound angry.", and so on. Bring it on. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,051,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I read some of the thread about rude interviewers. Now here is a question relating to the reverse: rudeness to interviewers.

I'm the type of person that likes--well, actually loves--striking back when I get mistreated, but because of practical reasons (eg, not losing a job, protecting reputation, not being sent to prison) I've held back in most situations of hostility wrongfully brought upon me by others.

I recently had a phone interview that I was very happy to have, but the interviewer seemed to have the personality of a lump of coal and sounded as if she was reading from a teleprompter. I was very happy answering her questions and to anyone with a pulse I would appear passionate about my field. I actually felt like saying, "It appears you're going through the motions. I'm sorry to have bothered you. Take care."

Anyone ever acted snobby or rude to an interviewer? I've had many be rude to me, but never returned in kind.

(Ready for drive-by lines such as "Quit complaining.", "Maybe she didn't like you.", "You sound angry.", and so on. Bring it on. )
I was once asked a very cliché: "What do you consider your dream job"?

My answer: "A job that pays the most amount of money for the least amount of work". To this day I still can't remember what prompted me to act out.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,308,668 times
I wouldn't call it rude really, but very direct.

Once I had an interview where the interview panel (via phone) had obviously not read my resume and kept asking me questions that did not apply to my experience. I politely reminded them that my specialty was in x, not y though I had some exposure to y during school I have been working on x for 5 years including my thesis.

They just kept asking me what experience I had with y. I finally said "look, I don't think I'm the person you are looking for, if you have my resume you can see that I am not and have not worked with y, and I have made this clear when talking with the person who asked me to interview, I've been very clear on my resume if you read it"

I didn't want to go on with the questions they were asking me as it was a waste of both of our time, they tried to continue and I was like, no.

they asked to keep the first person that had talked to me on the phone after I hung up, probably to rake him over the coals for not reading my resume to them as if they were too lazy to do it themselves.

I had been excited about the interview so it was disappointing.

I wasn't rude to another group of people that offered me a job (described somewhat in the w2 thread) but I ignored them and blocked their numbers and emails when they were trying to get me after they pulled a few too many fast ones including a "mistake" on an offer letter. They tried to get people to track me down in person to tell me it was truly a mistake. I just declined and said I had job lined up (I had told them that but they thought I was bluffing so kept playing with me as if they had the upper hand).

It was quite satisfying to walk from that, actually.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,308,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

My answer: "A job that pays the most amount of money for the least amount of work". To this day I still can't remember what prompted me to act out.
ha, that's funny.

It's also funny when we respond in ways that surprise us but come from somewhere....he/she probably deserved it.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
No, but then I've never committed suicide either.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No, but then I've never committed suicide either.
Great post! Very meaningful.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,443,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

Old 03-08-2014, 04:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,402,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I'm the type of person that likes--well, actually loves--striking back when I get mistreated,
This is a character flaw that achieves nothing and may make things worse. You probably want to work on that.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is a character flaw that achieves nothing and may make things worse. You probably want to work on that.
How is this a character flaw--being inclined to strike back at those who give bad treatment?

It can make things work IF acted upon. As I said above, I haven't reacted in many cases because it can make thing wore (eg, imprisonment, job loss, burning of bridges, and so on).

I have pulled passive-aggressive stuff before. For example, if I have to do something for someone else at work, if it is not an urgent matter and I have time to spare for the task, if someone reminds too many times to do it (eg, "Did you do...?", "Did you remember...?", "Remember to...") I put the task at the bottom of my to-do list and make the person sweat it out. I once had a nurse remind me something FOUR times in about five minute while I was doing data entry. I left the room without doing it and she later had to call me to enter the data she reminded me to.

I also once had a social worker who liked to nag people over the most inconsequential stuff. She didn't like that I stood in front of the nursing unit to document. I did that because sometimes the unit had no seats or space to work and the outskirt of the unit had nursing units parked next to it. Granted me standing there took up some space for a resident or patient to approach, but if I saw one coming I would move out of the way or ask who I could direct them to. From then on, I would often do my work where that social worker preferred me not to as a form of passive aggressiveness. She also liked to dictate who sat where at meetings as if there were assigned seats when there were not. So I would purposely sit in my SUPPOSEDLY unassigned seat many times.

I also worked with a speech pathologist who was the biggest attention ***** I ever met in my life as well as a pathological liar that expected every male on this earth to kiss the ground she walked on. I purposely would act utterly indifferent when she spoke to me even though I did cooperate with her recommendations and requests as I was supposed to of course.

I'm a vindictive kind of guy... to mean and intrusive and ill behaved people that is.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
It's a character flaw because you said you LOVE doing it.

That's bad news.

But you already know that and don't care.

No, I've never been rude to an interviewer, and I've never been rude while interviewing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search