Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 30,746 times

Advertisements

California

I got the job offer and currently waiting for my background check in. But it been a week and a half already (6 business days) and still no new update. I email the recruiter the other day and she said HR is still waiting for the result.

How long does background check usually take ?? A week and a half seem like an awfully long time I know for a fact that I have no criminal records. The only part in my application that I can think of is my work history in which a company I used to work for close down business. I even listed the reason why I left was because of the closure so this shouldn't be an issue right ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikuharada View Post
California

I got the job offer and currently waiting for my background check in. But it been a week and a half already (6 business days) and still no new update. I email the recruiter the other day and she said HR is still waiting for the result.

How long does background check usually take ?? A week and a half seem like an awfully long time I know for a fact that I have no criminal records. The only part in my application that I can think of is my work history in which a company I used to work for close down business. I even listed the reason why I left was because of the closure so this shouldn't be an issue right ???
They could be trying to verify the closure. I think it's easy to be suspicious of anyone who left a job with an "it wasn't my fault" excuse (even if it's true like in your case).

I work with security clearances as part of my job, and while this isn't exactly the same thing, background checks are a part of it and I've seen clearances get held up for weeks while the investigators try to track down someone's ex-wife or whatever person they listed.

It's probably nothing to be concerned about as long as you know you're clean and didn't lie on the forms.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
They can take several weeks, sometimes much longer (for reasons noted above). You are also not the only person the company is doing a background check on, so just relax and wait it out.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
7 to 10 business days

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
This will vary from place to place and depends on how many they are currently working on, and your place in that order. They may have only a few people working on background checks with hundreds to get done. I have seen it take better than a month so hang in there.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 20,906 times
I have a petty theft charge and was charged with a misdemeanor. I applied for another job and got hired on spot...assuming my background clears. It was last may. This employer only asked about felony. Will this stop me from being hired? She just called me today and told me she hasn't gotten anything back yet. But its only been 2 days.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameonme1 View Post
I have a petty theft charge and was charged with a misdemeanor. I applied for another job and got hired on spot...assuming my background clears. It was last may. This employer only asked about felony. Will this stop me from being hired? She just called me today and told me she hasn't gotten anything back yet. But its only been 2 days.
I believe background checks takes 7 to 10 business days if everything is fine. That was the time frame for my last 2 jobs

Old 01-08-2015, 05:09 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
It's ok, be patient.

Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search