Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Btw, folks, it's your SAT score. It's not something personal like your SS# and/or bank number. The risk here is really minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I would have no idea of how to obtain my SAT score. That was 27 years ago.
same here... mine was 1976 and I don't have a clue anymore of what it was.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Btw, folks, it's your SAT score. It's not something personal like your SS# and/or bank number. The risk here is really minimal.
but what is the point in even asking?? I think Rambler's right.... just another irrelevant tool to cull people from their pool of candidates.....

Old 03-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but what is the point in even asking?? I think Rambler's right.... just another irrelevant tool to cull people from their pool of candidates.....
It's one thing if an employer requests for personal information like a bank account number. But if an employer wants to use criteria, which isn't all that private, to assess you... I don't see it worth the fight. Unless you have something to hide... it can't really hurt you.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
It's one thing if an employer requests for personal information like a bank account number. But if an employer wants to use criteria, which isn't all that private, to assess you... I don't see it worth the fight. Unless you have something to hide... it can't really hurt you.

I am nearly 54 years old.... took mine in 1976 and then went on to earn a BS Degree with a good GPA while working fulltime.... how in the world would my SAT score have ANY bearing at all on a potential employer determining my qualifications for a job??? I could see an employer being interested in my college gpa.... but the SAT means nothing once that degree is earned......

and even if I was only 24 years old.... how would my SAT score prove anything?? what does it show?? I could see an employer being interested in my college gpa at that age.... but the SAT means nothing once that degree is earned......

doesn't matter whether it's private or not.... it is IRRELEVANT....

Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
You're missing the point.

How is an SAT score relevant to job performance?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I am nearly 54 years old.... took mine in 1976 and then went on to earn a BS Degree with a good GPA while working fulltime.... how in the world would my SAT score have ANY bearing at all on a potential employer determining my qualifications for a job??? I could see an employer being interested in my college gpa.... but the SAT means nothing once that degree is earned......

and even if I was only 24 years old.... how would my SAT score prove anything?? what does it show?? I could see an employer being interested in my college gpa at that age.... but the SAT means nothing once that degree is earned......
One of the areas that SAT tests is reading comprehension. By the questions you are asking me, I can immediately tell that reading comprehension is a weakness of yours. I've already discussed in this thread how silly it is to ask for SAT scores.

Perhaps a conversation with you would be enough to tell an interviewer about your reading comprehension weaknesses. But that might also be present in your SAT scores... which now makes it interesting.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
What if you never taken them ? then what you do not get the job?

It was like when company wanted your Facebook password well I do not have a Facebook account but the password is go purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka .

Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're missing the point.

How is an SAT score relevant to job performance?
I know people with high SAT scores but cant not change a flat tire something so easy.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
SAT/ACT scores not only have little to do with job performance, they have NOTHING to do with intelligence either. All they are is a measure of how well you take the test. Furthermore, ETS doesn't keep the scores past 5 years. They CAN'T get your old scores if they are older than that, and can't get them at all if you don't give them to them (privacy laws).

No, I would NEVER give my ACT/SAT/PSAT/GRE/ ad infinitum scores to a potential employer.

I would walk, not run, to the nearest exit if asked for them.

I'll tell YOU guys though - the last time I took the GRE (2005? Or thereabout-ish) I got 6/6 on the writing and 1480 of 1600 on the other 2 parts. The test has since been changed (again) so the max score has changed. I took it just after they had switched to so-called "adaptive" testing, which dropped 60 to 80 points off my verbal score.

So it's certainly not for fear of being dinged for a low score that drives my refusal to provide said scores. It is because they have nothing to do with job performance, it isn't any of their business, and its just one more thing they do NOT need to know about me, among many.

I couldn't tell you what my PSAT/SAT/ACT scores were - they were taken in 1974 through 1975 - they were high, but who would even know what that means now? They've changed the test so many times that the scores are meaningless. 10 years ago the max possible score on the SAT was 1600 - now it's 2400. So your 10 year old score of 1580 would look pretty awful if the person reviewing your application is measuring that against 2400. What the heck would my 40 year old test scores show at this late date anyway?

In point of fact they have known for literally decades now that SAT/ACT and similar scores aren't even predictive of success in college except in the broadest sense - someone scoring in the 90th percentile is no more likely to perform well in college than someone scoring in the 75th percentile. They are especially useless if you are female or, in fact, almost anything OTHER than a WASP male. Have been for decades.

Not only that, with the introduction of so-called "adaptive" testing, they aren't even standardized any more. Everybody doesn't take the same test, or even the same difficulty of test. If you mess up on the first section on the GRE (say you are nervous and then recover) that first section will be used to give you a LOWER/easier version of the next section - and you will not be able to achieve the higher score. Not standardized - not terribly meaningful even when predicting success in college - businesses have absolutely no reason to need these scores.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They use the SAT score like an IQ test. Companies can't use IQ tests as per SCOTUS. At the end of the day only top companies that rely on an intelligent workforce use SATs as part of the hiring process. Most workers won't be asked for SAT scores.
Proctor and Gamble and Capital One give their own exam to applicants. Testing is still here although they aren't IQ exams per se. General Mills actually uses the Wonderlic and a lot of government agencies like the US Foreign Service also give exams. Testing applicants is quite common in the workforce. Google used to ask for SATs but they actually stopped. I actually interviewed for "top" companies during my senior year in college and my experiences is that most of them don't really ask although some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search