U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM

251 posts, read 285,002 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a position that I am really interested in. I recently did a search of reviews of the company on Glassdoor. Though I know that you can't 100% trust all of the reviews, there seems to be some red flags. A lot of similar commentary about high turnover, mismanagement, and no room for growth.

Just wondering if anyone puts any value in these reviews? What do you do when you find overwhelmingly bad reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,816,808 times
You can trust them but remember that they are from all across different departments and divisions. For example, in Investment Banking I knew some people who worked in different groups within the same divisions and the culture differed greatly. One of the groups in the Investment Banking division worked absolutely horrendous hours while another worked somewhat more manageable but still awful hours. Work cultures are going to differ a lot even within the same department so everyone's experiences will be different. That said if they are overwhelmingly bad across all divisions then I would seriously reconsider going to that company.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 AM

174 posts, read 266,044 times
I generally don't like glassdoor very much. A lot of biases and small sample size which is probably not representative of real experiences. Another issue is when you look at multinationals where the quality control/culture is way out of wack once it leaves the US headquarters. Take everything with a grain of salt. But if you see an overwhelmingly bad opinions of the company across the board, then it's probably not a very good company. If 90% of the reviews sound genuine and are poor ratings, then that's really saying something about the company as a whole.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,051,441 times
I take Glass Door as just one data point, so of course take it with a grain of salt.

I have used it corroborate things that were said in interviews and phone screens.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,326,539 times
Glassdoor is good for generalized information. Don't take everything too seriously and make sure that you ask the right questions during your interview. Glassdoor is great for developing the proper questions that will either put you at ease in regards to their culture, or will help generate red flags depending on the hiring managers answers.

Remember that generally people who quit on a good note do not go to Glassdoor to review. In my prior work history my last company was reviewed in one of two ways. Extremely bad, or extremely good. Based on some of the reviews I read I felt as though those who reviewed it very favorably were still listed as employed by that company. Those who unfavorably rated it had moved on.

My personal experience with that company is that some people were treated differently than others. They were praised while others struggled to gain recognition, that is why I quit. It was in part due to the manager I had at the time. Others who didn't have that same manager got the recognition they deserved. So as the other poster mentioned, your experiences can differ greatly from department to department and manager to manager.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,855 posts, read 54,568,102 times
Like most review sites, people like to complain when they are unhappy. Not that many people will post when things are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search