Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 808 times

Advertisements

Basically, I have experince in doing just about nothing and my interviwing skills are so horrific I think it would have been better to save the interviewer the embarrassment of even seeing me fumbling anxiously. I really don't know how to get a job let alone an interview for places like these. Back in my teens I never worried about getting a job because I never went anywhere nor wanted anything. Now I regret it because if not for the money it was for the experiencing of talking with people and learning how to be a professional. It's like not having a job when I was younger stunted me mentally so now I have a hard time talking to people.

Regrading resumes..do I even need to have one since I have nothing to work with? Alot of these companies have online applications so when I fill them out for refences and work history do I put N/a for everything or make something up?

Also what are some good low wage jobs for those who have trouble working with customers/talking on the phone? I know, I need to get over uncomfortableness dealing with people but do companies even hire people like that-introvert, shy, and anxious? How does one fake that confidence in the interview to even have a shot at becoming a cashier, stocker, fast food worker, dishwasher?

Hell how do you even get an interview in general without experience in anything? I heard volunteering helps so if I start now how long should I stay so I can say I have some experience in something?

Low wage jobs I dreamed of working in are places where selling/dealing with customers are none to minimal at best. But that's like never going to happen since I either don't have the skills, or it's too far away(manufacturing for example) Plenty of help needed for manufacturing and warehouse but seriously their are like none that I am minimally qualified for or the bus doesn't run that far.

Then I have to worry about my school schedule.. Why does all of this have to be so difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 PM

31 posts, read 44,047 times
I used to be very shy and have problems doing professional things too, but now I've actually taken courses in employment and thru my own 30+ experience, I'd like to offer some advice.

1. Thru your local employment office or resource center, ask them to guide you with resume writing, or even google no experience resume, or student resume. Everything and anything can be used from how your use your spare time, to what you have done, paid or otherwise.

2. Again google or check with your resource center common interview questions. Now practice, practice and practice some more, each of your answers. I use to stutter, break out in a sweat and even have panic attacks. Now I can *fake it til you make it* with the best of them, and have done several video taped interviews for different courses I have taken.

3. Practice talking to people, start saying hi to people at school, on the bus, in the line behind you.....learn how to start conversations - it can be something as easy as "nice socks", or "cool hoodie". You'd be amazed how things *could* go.....

I should also mention that I've also looked thru resumes and helped my husband hire, when he was warehouse manager.

If you have any more questions, just IM me....I apologize ahead for being *out of it*. We just drove three days to get to LA, so I'm a little tired lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search