Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM

98 posts, read 268,953 times

Advertisements

I went through the routine of applying for a job, and by the grace of God, I was called in for an interview. Did my research on the company, was prepared to answer tough interview questions, the whole spiel. I must say that the interview went well...until the interviewer stated that "we really don't need anyone for this position." After my WTF??? look I gave to her, she just stated that that the director of Human Resources really wanted to delete the position as a cost saving measure.
OK, guys, why on Earth would a company decide to post a job, interview potential candidates, only to close the interview by saying that the job doesn't exist? I've heard the reasons that companies need to keep Human Resources looking busy or that it's a formality to list job vacancies to make it look like the company is hiring. I know that companies don't give a flying fig about about candidates having to give up their personal time, expenses, and "homework" researching the company, but why have the fruitless task of the company wasting THEIR time interviewing people for non-existent jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM

174 posts, read 283,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
I went through the routine of applying for a job, and by the grace of God, I was called in for an interview. Did my research on the company, was prepared to answer tough interview questions, the whole spiel. I must say that the interview went well...until the interviewer stated that "we really don't need anyone for this position." After my WTF??? look I gave to her, she just stated that that the director of Human Resources really wanted to delete the position as a cost saving measure.
OK, guys, why on Earth would a company decide to post a job, interview potential candidates, only to close the interview by saying that the job doesn't exist? I've heard the reasons that companies need to keep Human Resources looking busy or that it's a formality to list job vacancies to make it look like the company is hiring. I know that companies don't give a flying fig about about candidates having to give up their personal time, expenses, and "homework" researching the company, but why have the fruitless task of the company wasting THEIR time interviewing people for non-existent jobs?
Did you interview with the hiring manager or HR? If this was a hiring manager, I would not take their response at face value. Some people do not feel comfortable saying "no" to a candidate, so might lie instead. I had some interviews that ended up with "we are not really hiring, just looking who is out there". I took it, they just did not like me. If it's a junior HR person, maybe they scheduled your interview before they decided to not fill the position, then forgot to cancel. Forget them - sounds like a screwed up place.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,703 times
I'm currently looking for a job and have been stunned at how some companies treat candidates. Why the hell waste someone's time (and money) when they are usually not in a position to afford to waste either? These companies (and locations) should be listed by name when they do this so other people looking for a job can avoid wasting their time with these jokers.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Most of the time it's just a horrible way of them telling you no thank you. It's not something to get mad about, sure it could have gone smoother, but at the end of the day the simple fact remains...you did not get the job. Good luck on your quest.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Why?

Because companies are often stupid. Now, I'm not singling them out specifically, but there's a whole cottage industry built up around beating down the applicant and nit-picking every little thing they do, while the companies themselves can be just as clueless, if not more so, since nothing is at stake for them.

Two of my own examples:

1) Applied to a job at a local manufacturing company, got an on-site interview... and then learned over an hour in that the company was preparing to get rid of most of its local technical people?! The last guy who interviews me literally wondered why I was there? Um... maybe because they had a job posted, I applied, and they invited me to an onsite interview? Derp...

2) Applied to a job at a local aerospace company. Got to an on-site interview and was praised for my abilities and experience... and then learned that the company had been posting fake jobs for years, but "This time was going to be different - this time, they were going to hire somebody!" Guess what? They never hired anyone, and that job has now been on their website for FOUR years.

Companies are run by people, and people can be idiots.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
I would have said flat out "then why the hell are you wasting my time by interviewing me?" You would have lost nothing at that point. They just pissed all over you. Blacklist them. Fockers.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 PM

360 posts, read 811,622 times
A number of companies use classified postings to give the impression that they are doing well. It's low cost advertising for them as people will see it and think "Oh that place must be doing great business since they are hiring." when the truth is that they have a few openings or none at all. Other companies simply want to build up a pool of potential candidates as they figure that if their own people give them any static, they can fire them, dust off an application and you'll be sitting by the phone waiting for them to call.

That's why I rarely talk with recruiters anymore as they are usually just looking for leads as to where they can submit some of their pet" candidates. Or they are simply following their clients instructions of getting a large pool of applicants for a few jobs. It's a waste of my time and effort to bother with them, so most of the time I let their call go to voice mail or I simply don't return their email.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM

174 posts, read 283,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
A number of companies use classified postings to give the impression that they are doing well. It's low cost advertising for them as people will see it and think "Oh that place must be doing great business since they are hiring." when the truth is that they have a few openings or none at all. Other companies simply want to build up a pool of potential candidates as they figure that if their own people give them any static, they can fire them, dust off an application and you'll be sitting by the phone waiting for them to call.

That's why I rarely talk with recruiters anymore as they are usually just looking for leads as to where they can submit some of their pet" candidates. Or they are simply following their clients instructions of getting a large pool of applicants for a few jobs. It's a waste of my time and effort to bother with them, so most of the time I let their call go to voice mail or I simply don't return their email.
Right, and some third-party recruiters request that you come into their office, bring references and fill in applications with the names & contact details of former supervisors. And that's even before they send you to any interviews. I am not wasting my time with these jokers - they are getting contact info for possible clients out of this, I am getting nothing.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM

It's called false advertising and misrepresentation. Then they wonder why candidates lie on resumes and exaggerate other things. But clearly it's ok to waste the time and dwindling $ of the unemployed. That's why when these companies go bankrupt, sued or go down in other ways I don't feel any sympathy for them.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessinNYC View Post
Right, and some third-party recruiters request that you come into their office, bring references and fill in applications with the names & contact details of former supervisors. And that's even before they send you to any interviews. I am not wasting my time with these jokers - they are getting contact info for possible clients out of this, I am getting nothing.
I stopped wasting time with recruiters and other types of "agents" back in the 90s. They were playing this game back then too. They pump you for job leads. They use you mercilessly. They're like the insurance sales jobs where they want you to come in with a list of potential client names before they hire you. They take your list and never hire you. People...wake up already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search