Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 24,984 times

Advertisements

So perhaps my original post wasn't clear, I am very aware that these questions have been around a long time. It was not the questions themselves that threw me, it was the fact that they were part of an online application not an interview. So I wasn't asking advice, just wondering if anyone else had come across this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
These questions have been asked for several years now. Get a good book from the library that lists the most popular interview questions and answers. Understand the answers and customize them to reflect your personality, your work style and the job profile. In addition to asking for advice from random strangers here, do the leg work so you are prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,511 times
How do you folks usually answer the: Tell me about a time when you had to use your creativity to get out of something question?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
How do you folks usually answer the: Tell me about a time when you had to use your creativity to get out of something question?
Half the answers in here I have never heard, and this is one of them. I think most of these are too dry, and I would not like being in a very dry interview. I've ended interviews before when I thought they were too dry, stale and overly processed. I want to work for real people, not robots reading off some ludicrous questions.

This question isn't terrible per say, I'd probably answer like this: On X project we were faced with Y problem, so I tackled Y with Z.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 PM

89 posts, read 207,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
The most lame questions I have been asked include "sell me this pen" and "tell me a story".

I read that someone once, for the sell me this pen, just held on to the pen, told the interviewer they'd hold on to it later, and proceeded on with the interview. At the end of the interview, the interviewer asked for his pen back, and the interviewee stated "That will cost you $20".

Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Half the answers in here I have never heard, and this is one of them. I think most of these are too dry, and I would not like being in a very dry interview. I've ended interviews before when I thought they were too dry, stale and overly processed. I want to work for real people, not robots reading off some ludicrous questions.

This question isn't terrible per say, I'd probably answer like this: On X project we were faced with Y problem, so I tackled Y with Z.
When I interviewed, the lady literally had a book in her hand, reading me questions: tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker and how you both made up, tell me about a time when you did something nice for someone. Ugh..

Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
I was asked to tell a specific time that i used the company's posted safety rules to prevent an accident. Really? I mopped up a spill and went back to work. I didnt write it down in a journal or commit the moment to memory. Was like asking someone to specify the exact date and time they last plunged their toilet.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 7,166 times
I'd rather be asked these questions in an application anyway instead of an interview. More time to think about my answers.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Always pick a weakness that could be perceived as a strength. Great examples already given. My weakness is always thinking I can find the solution to a problem when, in fact, there may be no solution. (I use customer service examples, sometimes ya just have to say no)
I did a phone interview for a facility position with the park service. One of the last questions one of the panel members asked me is "how well can you swing a hammer?" Which took me off guard. The job description doesn't involve carpentry work (but boy couldn't we read into that question?) So I tried to take it seriously and explained my lack of building skills - still confused. Then he repeats and emphasizes: But how well can you swing a hammer? It's illegal for them to ask fitness questions as long as you can fulfill job responsibilities. AND again I was totally lost. If I'd said "I work out 3 times a week and run 5 and 10K races periodically and look great in a swimsuit" he probably would have been happy. It was just such a strange question I didn't figure out what he was asking until I got off the phone. LOL my fiance reminded me I just helped him roof his house... I guess I swing a hammer okay.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Always pick a weakness that could be perceived as a strength. Great examples already given. My weakness is always thinking I can find the solution to a problem when, in fact, there may be no solution. (I use customer service examples, sometimes ya just have to say no)
I did a phone interview for a facility position with the park service. One of the last questions one of the panel members asked me is "how well can you swing a hammer?" Which took me off guard. The job description doesn't involve carpentry work (but boy couldn't we read into that question?) So I tried to take it seriously and explained my lack of building skills - still confused. Then he repeats and emphasizes: But how well can you swing a hammer? It's illegal for them to ask fitness questions as long as you can fulfill job responsibilities. AND again I was totally lost. If I'd said "I work out 3 times a week and run 5 and 10K races periodically and look great in a swimsuit" he probably would have been happy. It was just such a strange question I didn't figure out what he was asking until I got off the phone. LOL my fiance reminded me I just helped him roof his house... I guess I swing a hammer okay.
For the weakness question I say that I spend more time than necessary on a particular task. And I say I proofread my research paper more than I need to. Would that be an effective answer?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
What is a good answer for weaknesses?
Being unemployed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search