Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,940 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, I had to go to an area to do something. I knew I would be passing a private school. I got dressed up and dropped off a resume and got to talk to the head secretary. She said she liked my resume. That so and so may be retiring. She would give me a call. Now, I was looking at online job posting. They posted the job! I feel like "Why didn't they call me?" Would you apply after this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
A few weeks ago, I had to go to an area to do something. I knew I would be passing a private school. I got dressed up and dropped off a resume and got to talk to the head secretary. She said she liked my resume. That so and so may be retiring. She would give me a call. Now, I was looking at online job posting. They posted the job! I feel like "Why didn't they call me?" Would you apply after this experience?
I would call her and see if she still works there. Have her recommend you.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,940 times
Ok, I will call in the morning.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
because they legally have to post it, most likely. Or maybe not legally since its private, it would still look bad if they didn't.

Plus they want to get all available candidates not just one.

of course you should call and officially apply.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Ok, I will call in the morning.
Chances are that she will tell you to apply online as well. You should ask her for the next steps so there's no ambiguity.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

Just playing devil's advocate here; but simply based on the information provided, she could have been genuine in her remarks, or just being courteous (basically doing her job as a secretary). Not saying you do not qualify. But she may have said the same thing to anybody else that walked in.

In your discussion with her, did you ask/determine what her role was with HR/Recruitment?

I would formally apply. But still call (or even stop in again), see if she remembers meeting you, and then see if she's willing to introduce you to the person responsible for hiring the position.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 AM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
Why wouldn't they post the job? They need to get the best candidate for the position and the only way to do that is to interview a number of candidates.

You haven't interviewed yet, right? So its not like the job is even close to being yours. Follow up with lady you met with and ask if you should apply formally.

Key job hunting advice - don't sit around waiting for just 1 job. Apply to many. You never know what a company or organization is looking for and you shouldn't wait for 1 just hoping it is you.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Dropping off a resume is not the same as applying for a vacant position. I wouldn't be surprised if you HAVE to apply on-line if you want to be considered for the position.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
People make empty promises. She may have forgotten.

You should absolutely apply and forgive her for over promising. Never mention it again.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The head secretary has no real authority, and is probably not going to remember to call you. Just apply like everyone else. They are not likely to give you exclusive access to the job just because the head secretary liked your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search