Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,639 times

Advertisements

While you are seeking out that job offer, sign up to work with a temporary agency in your field. You will be paid well, offered benefits if you sign up full time, and given lots of experience. Also, you might be offered a job...although there are stipulations like they might have to "buy you" from the temp agency. Work your tail off to show what a valuable employee you can be...as well as capable of accepting constructive criticism, cooperative, and friendly. Show them that no job is too low for you to do. You will notice how many people who work there are actually slackers, so make sure you aren't one of them.

Best wishes to you, and congratulations on your graduation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM

19 posts, read 46,509 times
Almost as same as OP but I can relocate. I've applied to over a hundred places as a CS grad and no job offers. Even recruiters can't even help. Plenty of interviews though. No feedback on rejection. I guess I'm left to start my own Internet business.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
I agree with the general sentiment. You are in a limited area for IT opportunities, especially as entry level. You indicated you don't want to relocate, but truly that would be the best for your career. What type of job are you looking for? Are you looking to be a programmer? If so, what kind? Java? C#? Web developer? Backend? Mobile? Are there even opportunities in your area that match what you'd like to do?

I don't know anything about your area, but one way in the door, is to take a related position within a company and then try to transfer within. For example, you might want to be a developer, but perhaps a QA position could get you in the door. If you can impress your manager with your talent, you can try to get onto the development team once they know you. The first job is always the hardest. Keep your chin up and try not to take rejection personally. In the meantime, check with some local charitable or non-profit organizations. There might be some opportunities for you to volunteer your time while padding your resume. Everybody has a website that needs updating and maintenance. Many of them are homegrown because they cannot afford an IT staff. Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTiger View Post
Almost as same as OP but I can relocate. I've applied to over a hundred places as a CS grad and no job offers. Even recruiters can't even help. Plenty of interviews though. No feedback on rejection. I guess I'm left to start my own Internet business.
Where are you located now?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
It's the area. No matter how qualified you are, it's tough to get a job where none in your field exist.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:54 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yeah--I guess it depends on what you do. My brother lives in Boston where he has a great job. I live in FL and have been able to find employment, but nowhere near the salary I could get up North in a big city. We have been round and round with the philosophical discussions--should you live where you want (for me warm weather is huge) or work where you can get the best possible job.
I chose the latter... rural southeast Georgia didn't have near the job opportunities as the Seattle metropolitan area so it was an easy choice to move here 3 years ago.

I've more than doubled my income (mid $30s to mid $80s) and no longer have to deal with the horrible hot humid southern summers. The PNW is a beautiful place to live.

Sure the COL is higher here but it's not $50k higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search