Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times

Advertisements

Okay, so a while back while I was laid off I was focusing a lot of my time and effort on sum niche blogs I run. I was making a fairly decent income from Google adwords. Now technically I'm not an employee for Google but do get a paycheck from them. I put on linked in I was working for Google and man did the job offers start rolling in, previous colleages and random people, very impressed with my experience at Google want me to come in for an interview. Now granted most would probably do a reference check but as many companies I was contacted by are small startups where it was a previous colleague who contacted me I think I probably could have landed some jobs without ever being caught so to speak. Now technically I wasn't lying as I was getting a check from google just as a 1099 contractor and not an employee so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Brilliant ....

Do you have a question?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:41 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Ouch... Yeah, this is not a path you want to go down - you need to be honest on this one. I know it's frustrating and hard out there, but trust me, employers do verify stuff like this, especially with big-name companies. Any company that wants to hire you because they think you actually worked for Google would verify that. This isn't the type of thing you want to fool around with - be honest about it.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
The fact that you made "fairly decent" income from Google AdWords on your sites is impressive enough to me.

Maybe you can teach others how you did it; without giving your niches away, of course.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:57 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
You are lying. You were not a contractor in anyway or form. You were making money on your blog via adwords, the 1099 is merely for tax purposes for the income you earned via adwords. The money was for renting space on your blog for ads..that's all.

You weren't hired as an independent contractor by Google, even if you were, you would not list it as working an employee of Google. It would be listed as a "independent contractor for X project @ Google".
Full time employees goes through extensive interviewing and vetting process, which you never went through.

One of the reason startups want people from the big name companies because it helps with their credibility especially when they are trying to attract other employees, get more funding or are acquisition targets. It will be checked at some point, and it's easy to do so.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 AM

113 posts, read 212,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
You are lying. You were not a contractor in anyway or form. You were making money on your blog via adwords, the 1099 is merely for tax purposes for the income you earned via adwords. The money was for renting space on your blog for ads..that's all.

You weren't hired as an independent contractor by Google, even if you were, you would not list it as working an employee of Google. It would be listed as a "independent contractor for X project @ Google".
Full time employees goes through extensive interviewing and vetting process, which you never went through.

One of the reason startups want people from the big name companies because it helps with their credibility especially when they are trying to attract other employees, get more funding or are acquisition targets. It will be checked at some point, and it's easy to do so.
He clearly said in his title that he lied...

Clearly.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Okay, so a while back while I was laid off I was focusing a lot of my time and effort on sum niche blogs I run. I was making a fairly decent income from Google adwords. Now technically I'm not an employee for Google but do get a paycheck from them. I put on linked in I was working for Google and man did the job offers start rolling in, previous colleages and random people, very impressed with my experience at Google want me to come in for an interview. Now granted most would probably do a reference check but as many companies I was contacted by are small startups where it was a previous colleague who contacted me I think I probably could have landed some jobs without ever being caught so to speak. Now technically I wasn't lying as I was getting a check from google just as a 1099 contractor and not an employee so to speak.
I think you should update your profile to indicate that you are a contractor. Suppose they have friends at google. It is easy enough to verify.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shepherd View Post
He clearly said in his title that he lied...

Clearly.

Yes, and his last sentence....

Quote:
The OP needs to change his profile. Not only will he be found out, but word will get around.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
Quote:
This is... AWESOME! You fought fire (a crumby job market) with fire (lying). I am all for it, provided your lying is done carefully and you get away with it. Keep in mind I am an otherwise honest person, but when it comes to getting hired, I am for whatever it takes aside from mistreating people (eg, getting someone wrongfully disciplined or fired).

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Lying about being an employee of a company is very easy to verify and you won't get away with it. If you claim you were a contractor and use the 1099 as evidence it could work you'd probably need a fake reference though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search