Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'll be the first to acknowledge that my thinking is likely in error. But there is a huge perception that the rich are the ones who largely attend the Ivies, and most people equate 'rich kids' with 'not really understanding the value of hard work'.
Rich kids who don't work hard don't go to Ivy League schools.

They go to Boston University. TOTALLY joking about that.

But seriously, no amount of $ gets you into an Ivy League school. You have to be at the very top of your high school class and have really good SAT scores and that typically takes 3 years of consistent hard work.

'Hard work' because it has to be done is different from working hard because you are ambitious and want to be the best. There's a very different kind of work ethic between a single mother of three working 3 jobs and a guy who is a banker at Goldman. Some of the hardest working people were born rich. Bill Gates' father was filthy rich.

Anyway, I've known both types of people. Different people are a fit for different jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,289,506 times
The vast majority of Ivy grads work in New York, Boston, DC and San Francisco. Most recruiters around the country rarely see an Ivy grad. When I worked in Minneapolis, Ivy grads were not rare, but uncommon. In New York, they’re a dime a dozen. It really depends on the geography and a particular industry. Ivy grads tend to go into banking, law, consulting, media (particularly publishing and journalism), technology, the sciences and non-profits.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,314,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The vast majority of Ivy grads work in New York, Boston, DC and San Francisco. Most recruiters around the country rarely see an Ivy grad. When I worked in Minneapolis, Ivy grads were not rare, but uncommon. In New York, they’re a dime a dozen. It really depends on the geography and a particular industry. Ivy grads tend to go into banking, law, consulting, media (particularly publishing and journalism), technology, the sciences and non-profits.

Yuuuup.

I'm out in Texas.

I would bet that most white collar professionals out here if pressed could only name 3 out of the seven Ivies.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton (thank you Risky Business)...sound of crickets.

Had one guy telling me that Vanderbilt and Duke were Ivy Leagues

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM

6,584 posts, read 11,270,026 times
I think one of the most telling point about the article is this:

Quote:
Claudia Goldin, a Harvard economics professor and lead researcher on a study tracking Harvard graduates' career paths, said, "We have none of the basic bread-and-butter courses that serve you well in much of industry." What's more, Ms. Goldin said, at Harvard, more than 55% of graduates went on to a doctorate degree, according to a recent survey, so they tend to stay in a first job for a short period of time—often a year or less. It's an observation recruiters in the Journal's study also made.

A Harvard spokesman said, "Harvard College graduates consistently experience success in the job market and in their chosen fields."

Monica Wilson, acting co-director of career services at Dartmouth College, said it's partly a numbers game: "How can you compare a large state school to a small liberal arts school that produces less than 750 students who go into employment each year?"
Recruiting costs money - so you want the biggest bang for your buck.

Bottom line - the right employee is more than just what school they went to.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Yuuuup.

I'm out in Texas.

I would bet that most white collar professionals out here if pressed could only name 3 out of the seven Ivies.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton (thank you Risky Business)...sound of crickets.

Had one guy telling me that Vanderbilt and Duke were Ivy Leagues
There's 8 actually. Lol, proved your own point.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Rich kids who don't work hard don't go to Ivy League schools.

They go to Boston University. TOTALLY joking about that.

But seriously, no amount of $ gets you into an Ivy League school. You have to be at the very top of your high school class and have really good SAT scores and that typically takes 3 years of consistent hard work.

'Hard work' because it has to be done is different from working hard because you are ambitious and want to be the best. There's a very different kind of work ethic between a single mother of three working 3 jobs and a guy who is a banker at Goldman. Some of the hardest working people were born rich. Bill Gates' father was filthy rich.

Anyway, I've known both types of people. Different people are a fit for different jobs.
Seriously, BU when I was there was full of rich kids that can't make it into the local Ivy league schools. You see the Bimmers parked everywhere included Ferraris. I have never seen that many expensive cars in an university parking lots anywhere else but BU.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,410 times
I would think that the Ivy League school graduates would just take a job for a little experience and to make some money, but then move on to either grad school or a better job.

At least if you hire someone from your state, you know that they are probably going to want to stay in the area.

It costs a lot of money to hire and train someone.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Seriously, BU when I was there was full of rich kids that can't make it into the local Ivy league schools. You see the Bimmers parked everywhere included Ferraris. I have never seen that many expensive cars in an university parking lots anywhere else but BU.

There were a fair amount at UVM to back in the day... once the snow hit the peaks they stopped going to class and most were out of school by the end of the first year. Volvos though...

Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM

24,076 posts, read 32,418,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Job Recruiters Prefer State Universities Over Ivy League Colleges - WSJ.com

This article is a few years old so I'm curious if anyone's seen any up to date comparisons on this subject but more so about what you think on the subject and some of the opinions/insights:

Has it been your experience as employees/employers/students that graduates from state schools are more well-rounded and "better-suited" for hiring? Any thoughts?

No surprise here. I have nothing against Ivy League colleges - in fact I was accepted to one (Columbia-Barnard) and rejected by another (Cornell). So, net sum zero total.

I think that corporations like predictable people who are good team players and not terribly individualistic. Or narcissistic. People who will defer to authority and not think of themselves as unique, or entitled to special treatment.

So, from the point of view of a large to mid sized corporation, I am not surprised.

I think state university grads probably make better company men or women.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM

24,076 posts, read 32,418,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

While we are at it, BU is not an Ivy League college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search